Copenhagen wheel

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
rsilvers   1 kW

1 kW

Re: Copenhagen wheel

Post by rsilvers » Aug 21 2015 6:12pm

I visited them today. Here is what I learned...

They expect to sell their first wheel very soon. One employee said "any day."

I saw eight employees in the front room, and presumably others in back, so they are actively working on it.

Production is near Detroit.

The 250 and 350 watt version are identical hardware.

The battery is 268 watt-hours and cannot be removed for charging.

The demo ride was in "turbo" mode. It was enjoyable with what seemed like instant response. Power cut off at 30 kph, which seemed fast enough. I can't picture wanting to pedal once the power cuts off, as I instantly got spoiled by the assist. I also can't see using less than turbo mode ever, unless you had to, as no one would say it was too quick.

The torque sensor/response felt more natural than the Stromer I recently rode.

The battery and electronics don't rotate, which is great.

Pedalling backwards activates gentle regen braking and seems good for planned stops.

Since I would always want to use Turbo mode, I would like to know the range at 30 kph in Turbo on typical terrain with a 150 lb rider. Rather than go by their numbers, I will use the motor simulator and plug in the closest values: http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

Using BionX 350 watt motor, 48v 5.6Ah battery, 85 kg mass, 0% grade, 72% throttle: 30 kph speed and 22 km / 13.7 mile range on level ground with no wind and no human input. More range once you factor in you pedaling.

I liked it a lot overall.

Merlin Titanium XTR, Mac 10T, 48v 820Wh, CA V3.

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Aug 22 2015 4:49am

Harder than you'd think to introduce a new product. Good that they really are going to get it out this time. I recall it was supposed to be this spring, for sure this time.

It's going to be a great short range bike for city dwellers. Folks like me in the burbs will need more battery, a trip to town for me is 30 miles, with the trip home 15 uphill miles.

But back when I was in college, it would have been perfect for the 4 mile round trip to class.

Russell   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Russell » Oct 10 2015 11:43pm

Jeep Comanche Trekking Bike w/YOUE geared motor, 42 lbs + 15 lb rear trunk bag w/12S 16Ah LiPo battery, tools, etc., 21A controller, 700 x 40C tires. 27 MPH.

My other E-Bikes: Nashbar Steel Flatbar

Avitt   100 W

100 W

Post by Avitt » Oct 11 2015 1:34am

That review is a year old, and the Copenhagen wheel still has not shipped. They've been holding onto buyers' money for nearly two years now...

Russell   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Russell » Oct 11 2015 5:17pm

Avitt wrote:
That review is a year old, and the Copenhagen wheel still has not shipped. They've been holding onto buyers' money for nearly two years now...

Apparently you didn't even bother to start the video since he clearly says "it's mid-September, 2015" :roll:

-R
Jeep Comanche Trekking Bike w/YOUE geared motor, 42 lbs + 15 lb rear trunk bag w/12S 16Ah LiPo battery, tools, etc., 21A controller, 700 x 40C tires. 27 MPH.

My other E-Bikes: Nashbar Steel Flatbar

Avitt   100 W

100 W

Post by Avitt » Oct 11 2015 7:37pm

Russell wrote:
Avitt wrote:

Apparently you didn't even bother to start the video since he clearly says "it's mid-September, 2015" :roll:

-R
No, you're right. Nevertheless, they still haven't shipped, a year and a half after Court's original review. Have look at their Facebook page to see how disgusted their customers have become...

LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » Dec 28 2015 1:47pm

Copenhagen Wheel PR folks still in high gear! "The Incredible Device That's Revolutionizing How We Get to Work"
http://nationswell.com/superpedestrian- ... c-bicycle/

With link to old product release video on Youtube from December, 2013...

This post via the US "NationSwell Council".
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

Joined yer local chapter of EA yet?
(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

Drunkskunk   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Drunkskunk » Dec 28 2015 2:28pm

This thread was started in January of 2009. we are days away from January 2016. 7 years, and still the CHW is Coming Soon! I think after 7 years of promises, it's time to give up on this great red hope.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Dec 29 2015 7:22am

By now, it's almost like they are working the last bugs out of a flip open phone.

LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » Dec 29 2015 7:42am

Hehe... That Elmer Wheeler quote “Don’t sell the steak, sell the sizzle.” Doin' a fine job selling the "sizzle" here (ebikes, using hubs in this case). Top marks. Some may suspect in this case the steak (design) is... substandard...

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)

(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Dec 29 2015 2:46pm

dogman dan wrote:By now, it's almost like they are working the last bugs out of a flip open phone.
Given how fast technology could evolve, I'd almost say more like the old wired-in brick carphones. ;)

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Jan 30 2016 6:47pm

http://copenhagenwheel.tumblr.com/post/ ... ine-tester

Article includes this (quick/brief) Youtube vid.

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Jan 31 2016 6:45am

th1EN3R1BA.jpg
th1EN3R1BA.jpg (6.34 KiB) Viewed 3021 times

Ykick   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Ykick » Jan 31 2016 10:31am

Talent must not be wasted.... Those who have talent must hug it, embrace it, nurture it and share it lest it be taken away from you as fast as it was loaned to you.

- Frank Sinatra

Drunkskunk   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Drunkskunk » Feb 03 2016 10:54am

Cash cows may continue to be economically productive for many marketing campaigns. In a few cases, 10 campaigns are possible. The chances of problems arising which may lead to a cow being culled are high, however; the average herd life of Cash Cow is today fewer than 3 campaigns. This requires more herd replacements to be reared or purchased. Over 90% of all Cash cows are axed for 4 main reasons:

Infertility - failure to conceive and/or reduced cash production.

Cows are at their most fertile between 60 and 80 days after cashing in. Cash Cows remaining "open" (not with financial backers) after this period become increasingly difficult to market, which may be due to poor health. Failure to expel the afterbirth from a previous venture, legal actions, or common sense: an infection of the brain, are common causes of infertility.

Bankruptus - a persistent and potentially fatal cash gland infection, leading to high debt counts and loss of production.

Bankruptus is recognized by a reddening and swelling of the infected bottom line and the presence of whitish clots of mail from bill collectors. Treatment is possible with long-acting financial plans, but products from such cash cows is not marketable until debt residues have left the cow's system, also called withdrawal period.

Lameness - public awareness that the idea is unworkable or undesirable or simply uncool.

Production - some Cash Cows fail to produce economically sustainable levels of Cash to justify their feed costs.

Production below 12k to 15k of Cash per week is not economically viable[citation needed].

:mrgreen:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_Cattle

They have been milking this Venture Capitol Cash Cow for a long time. She's tired. Its time they put her to pasture.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

Kin   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Kin » May 16 2016 9:49am

Sorry to be bumping a several month old thread.... But I just wanted to point out I sighted some representatives at the Cambridge, MA "MayFair" a little street fair we had at harvard square this past weekend with a number of varied vendors. They were doing demos, but I had to keep going [with a group and was tired at the time.] I confirmed the spokes are in tension which was my initial concern, and they said the entire wheel is sealed.

neat shit, but it sounds like there's a lot of backstory I haven't read up on [product delays, etc.]
New to endless-sphere? Notice a lot of signatures recommending Ebikes.ca? That's because it's the best place for a quality and manageable, (but still 'real'), first build. Justin is a solid supporter of electric bike development, and a good source of equipment.

imagesinthewind   100 mW

100 mW

Post by imagesinthewind » May 16 2016 12:07pm

Kim and All.

Our family was one of the original 1000 backers on the Kickstarter campaign in August 2013.
We have yet to receive our wheel, and have not found anyone who has gotten one though CW has repeatedly claimed they are shipping in small quantities.

I'm about to go help fund the GeoOrbital campaign on Kickstarter and ask for a refund on my Copenhagen Wheel.

Though neither company has a wheel that will fit the front of my recumbent bike. I need a 20" wheel.

Ginny in Denver
Where hills are mountains and assist would be nice here.

Kin   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Kin » May 16 2016 12:14pm

Hi Ginny, please be aware that mechanically few front-forks are suitable for electric motors. It could be very dangerous to outfit one without knowing what you're doing. Just wanted to mention this in case you haven't heard it before.
New to endless-sphere? Notice a lot of signatures recommending Ebikes.ca? That's because it's the best place for a quality and manageable, (but still 'real'), first build. Justin is a solid supporter of electric bike development, and a good source of equipment.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » May 16 2016 12:50pm

imagesinthewind wrote:Ginny in Denver
Where hills are mountains and assist would be nice here.
From what I've seen of Denver, a Copenhagen Wheel's small battery would be expended long before you got all the way out to anything mountainous. The parts I've been to are flatter than Austin and waaay flatter than Seattle. Wind would be a bigger challenge than inclines.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » May 17 2016 7:11am

Ginny,,, Please,,,

Go buy a 500w rated, geared motor kit somewhere. They exist, have existed for years. They've been debugged after millions sold in china. The ones imported to the US are forced to be the better quality motors.

Ok, so it's boring. But it's pretty much reached it's state of near perfection.

Reinventing the wheel is cool, I get that. But it did get done, years ago, by the bike motor makers in china.

The 500w geared motor can lace into 16" wheels, so your front 20" wheel is no problemo. I'm assuming you have an internal gear rear hub, meaning you have to use a front hub, or make a modification to your bike.

imagesinthewind   100 mW

100 mW

Post by imagesinthewind » May 17 2016 5:37pm

The Copehagen isn't for me, it's for my husband who wants to get back to commuting. the commute is 24 miles of mostly flat. No real hills,
mostly road. He wants to have pedal assist for road riding, for him, the front is out because he has a generator hub for his front headlight.

I want a front hub motor for my recumbent. For around town riding. Rear is out for me.

ddk   1 MW

1 MW

Post by ddk » May 17 2016 9:22pm

dogman dan wrote: The 500w geared motor can lace into 16" wheels, ...
guess what/
geared or not.jpg
geared or not.jpg (97.9 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
16 inch MP2.jpg
16 inch MP2.jpg (60.09 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
"How can we play Hot Wheels without lighter fluid? " -Serge

Ykick   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Ykick » May 17 2016 9:28pm

imagesinthewind wrote:The Copehagen isn't for me, it's for my husband who wants to get back to commuting. the commute is 24 miles of mostly flat. No real hills,
mostly road. He wants to have pedal assist for road riding, for him, the front is out because he has a generator hub for his front headlight.

I want a front hub motor for my recumbent. For around town riding. Rear is out for me.
No offense and I genuinely say this with respectful humor but that is a funny thing to read on a forum of eBikers with 100's-1000's of kWh battery capacity at their disposal.

24 mile commute round trip? No small feat but possibly doable with smallish battery and power system? But depending on the needed/desired assist, at some point weight increases to where you need bigger motor and thus larger, heavier battery, etc. Things can snowball...

Many proven, affordable ways to go and waiting on the Copenhagen (and other variations) isn't one of 'em, IMO.
Talent must not be wasted.... Those who have talent must hug it, embrace it, nurture it and share it lest it be taken away from you as fast as it was loaned to you.

- Frank Sinatra

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » May 18 2016 7:18am

Yes,,, there have been direct drive motors like the Aotema or the Crystalyte 407 that can lace 16". But I'd take the current models of 500w rated geared motors over them any day. The 16" golden motor mag wheel though, that one would kick some ass. Bigger motor inside that one.

I did a 30 mile round trip commute for about 5 years. You need about 700-800 watt hours of battery for that. So a 36v 20ah, or a 48v 15 ah. If you have some steep hills, go for the 48v, so you have more power on the hills. He'll need to charge at work, btw, unless he gets a 48v 20 ah. Some days you will need double what it normally takes, so OVERSIZE.

Again, no need to reinvent the wheel for any of this.

imagesinthewind   100 mW

100 mW

Post by imagesinthewind » May 18 2016 1:25pm

Ykick, no. 24 miles each way.

And it's what he wants. Why is it humorous that he has a front generator hub? I'm stupid, I guess I don't see why that's funny.
Because he generates electricity? Over my pea brain head, I guess.