Copenhagen wheel

chessir

100 W
http://senseable.mit.edu/copencycle/index.html

Very interesting project started by MIT. The picture shows a front wheel regen hub which also contains the battery.
Any comments?

Attachments

• biking2.jpg
    biking2.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 8,861
http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/

[youtube]S7y3qIQu3Gc[/youtube]

oh i want ot know the specs on this! :shock: :shock:

cant be too much power there. but it sure is slick as shit! works with the iPhone!?! vaaaaary cool! :D

can anyone find specs on it? I cant seem to find any!

COPENHAGEN
A new product for developed countries promises to lower world wide carbon emissions, lessens dependence on petroleum, lowers impact on local roads, improves owner finances thru lower initial cost and operating costs, and improves user health.

At less than $2000 initial cost and less than $500 annual operations cost, the device can be easily used to commute to work and run household errands, and could save over 5000 car miles per year per household. Owners can perform most service tasks, more complex tasks can be performed by some service shops already in existence. Franchise opportunities available.

For more information, check out the informational website at http://endless-sphere.com/forums/index.php

Short on specifics, but a decent diagram and titillating article.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/science/earth/15bike.html

Official page? With video: http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/
The Senseable City Laboratory at M.I.T. has designed a wheel that captures the kinetic energy released when a rider brakes and saves it for when the rider needs a boost. While technically sound, the wheel’s true challenge may be in winning over cyclists. For centuries, bikes have been beloved for their simplicity, not their bells and whistles.

But, said Carlo Ratti, the laboratory’s director, “biking can become even more effective than what it was.” What the lab is working on, he said, is “Biking 2.0.”

The new wheel uses a kinetic energy recovery system, the same technology used by hybrid cars, like the Toyota Prius, to harvest otherwise wasted energy when a cyclist brakes or speeds down a hill. With that energy, it charges up a battery inside the wheel’s hub.

The sleek red hub, called the Copenhagen Wheel, was to be unveiled Tuesday morning in Copenhagen. It can be retrofitted to any bike’s rear wheel, and it includes sensors that track air quality, a meter that logs miles and a GPS unit to track routes. All that data can be sent via Bluetooth to a rider’s smartphone and shared with others.

The laboratory is trying to eliminate the clunkiness of other electric bikes with heavy batteries and unwieldy wires by placing all the technology into the wheel, said Christine Outram, the project’s lead researcher.

“It’s a technology that can get more people on bikes,” she said.

Attachments

• ebike.jpg
    ebike.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 8,974
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8971

OK... not a LOT of extra info there :)
Interesting they are talking batts and not caps... I'da thought caps more appropriate for this app ("large" inrush of energy) but perhaps any caps of significant capacity would still be too large to fit in a wheel?
tks
Lock

I like the design, simple and rugged...looking at least. I heard a rumor about this from an engineer friend of mine several months ago, glad to see it really materialized. It's great that they went with the road bike application of the wheel as well, I've always thought that a single speed road bike would be the perfect for a hub motor setup. I have a nice bladed aluminum road bike frame, made by a company called "GMC" no less that I have been keeping around for the sole reason of throwing a stealth hub motor battery combo on at some point in the future. Until then it will sit chained up in the alley where it will continue to not rust, god bless aluminum. I wonder if it would be possible to take an ordinary hub motor, put it on the back and then on the front have a battery/controller hub. Me thinks that might balance the bike nicely and take away also from the visual imbalance that take serious stealth points away from many ebikes.

Lock said:
OK... not a LOT of extra info there :)
Interesting they are talking batts and not caps... I'da thought caps more appropriate for this app ("large" inrush of energy) but perhaps any caps of significant capacity would still be too large to fit in a wheel?
tks
Lock

High energy ultra caps lack the ability to be charged as quickly as high C LiPo (volume for volume, or weight for weight). It also takes a wheel barrow full of them to equal the energy in a single LiPo pack you can slip in your pocket. There are some high-power designed ultracaps that can take charge faster, but they hold so little energy, it's hardly worth the effort.

According to a NYT article.
"It’s a kinetic energy wheel that “captures the energy dissipated while cycling and braking and save it for when you need a bit of a boost.”

"What this means, is MIT has developed a bike that you ride around, it stores energy, and gives you a little boost when you need it to get up a hill or around town. The unit is controlled by your phone."

Hello, bicycle, or should that be stoker, could you make my pedaling a little more difficult for the next half mile because after that I feel a hill coming on, thanks.
:D

hello, hello! HELLO.
Not the responsivness of a fixed wheel bike nor Hall throttle.
cph_wheel006.jpg

It may turn out to be the bleached-blonde of pie bikes.
There's a slick promo-type YouTube link (The Copenhagen Wheel Teaser) on Bikehugger.com

It's a cool idea and with high quality bearings I wonder how much losses the flywheel experiences in a minute (average wait for light?). I would be interested to know how much the rim weighs. There was a guy on YouTube that built a trike using a flywheel that wieghed alot if I recall correctly. I also wonder how you could use a very small electric motor to spin up the flywheel while at the light and then regenerate to a capacitor until the next light.

I think the low adoption rate of regen braking among es ecyclists is as good a hint as any at the real world utility of this thang. Just make it a full disc wheel, hide half a kWh in there hush hush style.. recharge on the rollers at home. Then you would have something!

This guy from the article sums it up here..
"Regenerative braking hardware adds mass, complexity and cost, and the energy efficiency gains from it turn out to be surprisingly limited,” said William Mitchell, who runs a lab at M.I.T. called SmartCities, a research group devoted to improving urban energy efficiency through technology.

EDIT: After digging a bit more into this design I looks like it is in fact a "electric" hub that is powered soley by electrical energy stored from regen braking. Hmm. Interesting.

I wonder how well it performs? Having a flywheel sounds interesting but I wonder how much of a difference it makes from the rider's perspective. I mean, is it a boost or a BOOST? But it is a great idea to capture that wasted braking energy. I also wonder how the rider engages the flywheel when the start pedaling. I'm assuming it is some sort of automatic mechanical engagement.

Maybe this is a good alternative to regenrative braking for an ebike. What I've read hear is that regen-braking doesn't make a lot of sense for a ebike (costs to much for little energy payback). Perhaps this is just the ticket for a mid-drive based system. Motor mounted in the frame/botton bracket and mechanical regen hub in the rear (and front?). I don't think it could easily be done with a hub motor system. :mrgreen:

When I first read the stories about the "Copenhagen Wheel", I thought it was the same thing as the Greenwheel that MIT folks were working on, which could be plugged in and charged.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29259226/

Without external charging, this is the stupidest thing ever. Some of the iPhone stuff is kinda neat, but also besides the point.

The Greenwheel (from the above link) however, could be a good idea as long as they can pack it with enough batteries.

copenhagen-wheel.jpg

I really didn't think the device actually existed (beyond some cad and photoshopping).

Looks like I was wrong.

The spokes are wacky
They are managing the lipo pouches with zip ties and sticky tape

The integrated torque arm is nice.

No recharging you say? WTF...

The no-plug thing must be a concession to all the hater purists.. Seems like they called it right too from all the press this thing is getting.

"OOOH it uses nothing but your own leg power? How neat! In that case its ok." :roll:

I like the way the spokes are integrated into the hub though.

Maybe the hub motor manufacturers can adopt this method if it works as good as it looks. No more broken spokes at the hub.

Back