Fully eclosed E-Bike

Saw this on Solarbbq's web page and was thinking to myself what if this could be built around a KMX

Of course modifications would be required but can some KMX owners put up some ideas I was thinking basically have the back a little less wide and the front a little wider but I am not sure on the exact dimensions of this product.

you could also put on clear plastic doors on each side

I see several benefits to this

You can ride in all weather
You have more space for batteries
You can still pedal if battery dies

I had an idea before seeing this picture but it was a much cruder idea but it was to put a sheet of plywood attached to the bottom of the frame with a cut out in the rear center for the wheel with space for a battery pack on each side of the rear wheel.
The front would still be square and similar to the front of a cars bonnet (hood) would be a little space for the legs to move the cranks ahead of that have a perspex windshield at about a 30 degree angle to a height suitable for most riders
From there again a plywood roof going to the rear where you would have again a back windshield to the point where the back wheel meets then plywood again to the base
as for the sides that has not been fully thought out yet but again some combination of plywood / perspex .

Not to sure about drag etc and would need to coat the ply with some sort of sealant such as fiberglass but that again has not been fully thought of/planed

Of course the disadvantages would be less ability to preform the stunts/tricks you can now do on a KMX however if a design could be implemented with quick release you could change it back in a short time

Just some Ideas that have been passing though my mind on these cold wet days of cycling

Attachments

• etaxifrontbacksmall.jpg
    etaxifrontbacksmall.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,581
Have you seen the Aerorider?
Hydrid production trike/Velomobile.

IMG_1008.jpg

In my previous live as a peddle only velomobilist I thought the AeroRider at more than 60kg to be an over weight bike and unable to be powered by peddles only. Now that I've electrified my WAW I wonder about the AeroRider. My WAW was 35kg to start and then I added about 77lbs of motor and lead batteries for a rolling weight of 144 lbs Now it isn't much lighter than the AeroRider without batteries. My bike needs to go on a diet. I need to get rid of that lead and get some lighter batteries.

mi7d1 said:
In my previous live as a peddle only velomobilist I thought the AeroRider at more than 60kg to be an over weight bike and unable to be powered by peddles only. Now that I've electrified my WAW I wonder about the AeroRider. My WAW was 35kg to start and then I added about 77lbs of motor and lead batteries for a rolling weight of 144 lbs Now it isn't much lighter than the AeroRider without batteries. My bike needs to go on a diet. I need to get rid of that lead and get some lighter batteries.

Or you could spend hundreds of dollars to switch to a titanium frame and save as much as a pound and a half.

Note: People like to be sarcastic on this messageboard but it's all just about joking around. :lol:

I've got 86 lbs of lead on mine and a frame and fork that was hand built and weighs something like 30 lbs. My whole bike weighs about 140 lbs. Until you advance your way to Lithium (the most expensive thing you can buy) I suspect that pound for pound the most cost effective way to save weight is in the batteries.

That could actually make for a pretty interesting technical article...

Compare the cost effectiveness of weight savings based on increasing the cost of the batteries verses increasing the cost of other components. (like the frame)

After completing my ebike I have been interested in making my set up more efficient. I notice on my daily ride to work that has up until yesterday I always been into the wind and that if the wind is at my back I used up very little power (almost half). It wasn't that the wind was pushing me but instead I was encountering less wind resistance. If only I could streamline the entire bike and my body I could probably double my batteries range. I have been wanting trying to build a shell to help accomplish this task.

Put a sail on your bike moved by a motor and controlled by a microprocessor using input from a little wind direction and speed indicator. :)

could this be what I get

bluesky design

looks like a nice kit although I dont think the kit comes complete with everything such as chain etc also not sure about street safety

I emailed the company with this response

Hi Shaun,
the Assembly Manual and our site covers parts not included in the Aerocoupe Electrathon kit. The rear wheel fork is 5" wide. there is plenty of room for batteries.
FedEx Freight would handle shipping. we would have to get a shipping quote based on your delivery address.

mark
BSD

5" rear fork =127mm could stretch this out possibly to 135mm for cylte motor but this will be some months away finances are going towards battery / controller upgrades and a cycle analyst

Trusting your good name, I clicked your sig link expecting to get cheap batteries spit from my disk drive. Instead, I received notice that you ate my brains. This explains a lot, actually. Like why I clicked a temporally reversed effect-cause link that said "don't click here for cheap batteries" -- you had already eaten my brains, and so you knew, since I was brainless, I would click the link!
Numberonekiwi, how can I ever trust you again? Please return my brains air freight -- I'll even pay the stupid import duties.
And now you owe the 6 billion plus people who didn't click your link each a lithium battery.
Who ate who's brain again?

http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?numberonekiwi

Attachments

• numberonefreaky.jpg
    numberonefreaky.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,669
mi7d1 said:
My WAW was 35kg to start and then I added about 77lbs of motor and lead batteries for a rolling weight of 144 lbs Now it isn't much lighter than the AeroRider without batteries. My bike needs to go on a diet. I need to get rid of that lead and get some lighter batteries.
safe said:
Or you could spend hundreds of dollars to switch to a titanium frame and save as much as a pound and a half.

Note: People like to be sarcastic on this messageboard but it's all just about joking around. :lol:

A titanium frame would weigh more than what I'm using now. I have no frame it is a monocote body made of both carbon and kevlar fiber. If I added titanium to the mix then the weight would go up.

I enjoy the sarcastic and playful bantering that goes on here. It makes for fun reading .

Thanks for the link - #1kiwi. I've been toying with the idea of later taking the 5304 motor, controller, cycleanalyst and Lipo4 that I ordered and transferring it to a tadpole trike, with some kind of weatherproof body on it.

I've seen the some of the coroplast bodies, :roll: sorry I'm a perfectionist.
Read about do it yourself fiberglass bodies - don't have a workshop with this house, and sanding fiberglass for 3 weeks isn't my idea of fun..

Xyster knows about my patience (or lack thereof).

The Bluesky bodies are what I've been looking for.. :)

And not $ 10,000 :lol:

Been thinking about this more the kit they supply does not include the m13 under shell and at only 26" high I would be sitting in a quite uncomfortable position so this possibly rules out street use but I have found another site

velokit

and seeing that idea it is possible you could make your own

and xyster your brains have been send electronic freight should be flying out of you hard disc when you read this

numberonekiwi said:
xyster your brains have been send electronic freight should be flying out of you hard disc when you read this

Thank you. People at work were starting to ask questions.

Hmm, that last kit looks a lot like my trailer, that cost 150.00 bucks not 1000.00,
Velomobiles are very cool, but expensive, the go-one list for 11,000 us,

Back