Buying batteries off Ebay, good/bad?

Lowell

100 kW
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lithium-Ion-11-1v-battery-pack-108-cells-SONY-18650_W0QQitemZ270077258547QQihZ017QQcategoryZ34056QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems like a great deal, as long as they work...

I looked at those same batteries six months ago before buying from allbattery and batteryspace....probably the 3-5yr longevity clock on these has already ticked quite a bit. They should be in cold storage too...

Right. I'll echo Xyster's comment - lithium ion cells have a limited life span. Whether they are in use or not, they gradually oxidize - the colder they are stored at, the better. Ideally you want fresh cells.

It's also notable that there's no capacity mentioned for these cells.

Lastly, in my list of things that I don't like, they are Sony cells... specifically what concerns me is that they are Sony cells being sold in bulk... as we all know, there's been a large recall on Sony lithium ion 18650 cells... I have to wonder if these are the same lot numbers of the cells that were recalled. The Sony 18650 recalled cells were spontaneously exploding - no safety circuitry would have helped stop them.

But for a $1.85/cell a lot can be forgiven... if it were me, I'd seriously think about it. Probably the only thing that really worries me would be the Sony recall thing. I'd probably ask the seller a lot of pointed questions on capacity and lot numbers.

"sony will not release the ratings to us however the cells are 2+ years new old stock and likely are 1500-1850mah
lot's of happy customers to date"

So they're probably a bargain for on old laptop down to 5 min of run time, but not suited to high drain EV use.

Lowell said:
"sony will not release the ratings to us however the cells are 2+ years new old stock and likely are 1500-1850mah
lot's of happy customers to date"

So they're probably a bargain for on old laptop down to 5 min of run time, but not suited to high drain EV use.

Won't release the ratings? LOL. Tell Sony I have a great Island I want to sell them, but I won't tell you how big it is or where it's at :wink: :wink:

Back