---> The Lowest Cost Electric Bike?

safe

1 GW
Bargain Shoppers

My brother has a typical bike that he bought for $40. The bike has 21 speeds and what he wants to do is end up with a low cost (comparable to the $40 he's starting with) electric bike that is geared really low for the hills and does NOT use the derailler anymore. He doesn't want to deal with a derailler and shifting and wants a one speed instead.

What I'm thinking is something like a hub motor on the rear with a simple single speed freewheel. No derailler, possibly remove a couple of the front chainrings (if possible) and gear it all so that he cannot go fast, but is able to zip up hills with ease.

Let's see what people can come up with for possible design configurations and let's get a ballpark estimate on what the "bottom line" would be for this project.

I have a feeling that at $280 this Mongoose Electric Bike would likely beat anything we could dream up. It's likely to be more expensive to build a bike from parts than to simply buy a new one. But let's see if anyone can think of a way. $280 - $40 = $240 so you have $240 to work with. Any idea that goes above $240 is overly expensive, but if it involves more money because of lighter batteries then it might be worth looking into. Probably the main question is what is the least expensive hub motor you can buy? A front hub motor would be okay, but a rear is better.

0069402761463_215X215.jpg

safe said:
I have a feeling that at $280 this Mongoose Electric Bike would likely beat anything we could dream up. It's likely to be more expensive to build a bike from parts than to simply buy a new one. But let's see if anyone can think of a way. $280 - $40 = $240 so you have $240 to work with. Any idea that goes above $240 is overly expensive, but if it involves more money because of lighter batteries then it might be worth looking into. Probably the main question is what is the least expensive hub motor you can buy? A front hub motor would be okay, but a rear is better.

0069402761463_215X215.jpg

I was going to say the same thing. The Wal-mart e-bike is about as basic as it gets. It will take you up hills without too much problem, but don't expect to go fast. It's top speed is about 15 to 17MPH at about 10 to 11 miles range.

It's as trouble free of an e-bike as you can get really, provided that it's not damaged or anything else that wal-mart does to the bike. Rather than try to beat out Wal-mart price per price, I'd say, just get the Wal-mart bike.

I have the walmart mongoose bike and It is slow but it is geared for climbing pretty well.

I also own the ebike kit featured here.

http://kingsmotorbikes.com/

They get these in stock from time to time for $150. I don't know if they have any more but it did take quite a bit of tinkering to get it to work. It does not climb very well but the speed is pretty good in the mild inclines and flats.

My favorite is the king kit because it is flat around here and it gets me where I want to go.

I use the mongoose over at the local airport to ride between hangars.

sabrewalt said:

They get these in stock from time to time for $150. I don't know if they have any more but it did take quite a bit of tinkering to get it to work.

So for $150 you get the motor, then you need a controller and a throttle and batteries and you have to make it all fit together. You also need a charger. By the time you've bought all that stuff you are over the limit already. My brother is not "into" technical stuff and something as simple (for us) as a derailler is too much of a hassle for him which is why he wants a one speed.

There's "cheap" and then there's "unrealistic". If you want to base an electric bike around a $250 price point then you have to more or less buy a "toy" that will leave you less than thrilled compared to what an electric bike could potentially do. Most of us here are spoiled by our tricked out machines and forget what an entry level bike is like. The top speed on these things is around 17 mph... which on my bike is my speed in first gear. (actually first gear gets me to 20 mph) The Mongoose does pass the "Electric Bike Law" in that it fits the "pedals/750w/20mph" rule and actually is using a motor well below 750 watts. (they use 450 watts)

So this might be like on that show "MythBusters" where the myth is that you can just buy a few things and build an electric bike.

:?: Is this myth "busted"?

Or does anyone have a secret to making something work.

How about used or discarded items? Rejects? Trash? Ebay?

and actually is using a motor well below 750 watts. (they use 450 watts)

But in stock form it's being fed 840 watts (24v 35a) -- the cause of the overheating problems. Good price/performance ratio. I'm pleased with mine still.

sabrewalt wrote:

They get these in stock from time to time for $150. I don't know if they have any more but it did take quite a bit of tinkering to get it to work.

Safe wrote:

So for $150 you get the motor, then you need a controller and a throttle and batteries and you have to make it all fit together. You also need a charger. By the time you've bought all that stuff you are over the limit already. My brother is not "into" technical stuff and something as simple (for us) as a derailler is too much of a hassle for him which is why he wants a one speed.

That $150 (Plus $46 shipping) kit actually included the laced motor, controller, twist throttle, and batteries. Of course they are currently out of stock. :lol:

Yes, It came with a set of batteries. 14AH at 29 lbs. I am using the originals a year later. The hubmotor weighs 19 lbs.
Also a Headlight and voltmeter combo. Kinda crappy but it worked.

If my kit blew up today, I would have gotten my moneys worth out of it but several of the guys who bought these had trouble getting them going including me.

Safe - I would say that if your buddy is fearful of tinkering then get the mongoose.

My Kings kit out performs my Mongoose but I had to scratch my head a lot and get a bunch of advice from Mathurin and others to get there. It is within your budget which is the reason I mentioned it.

I just slapped the front wheel on my mongoose and road it home from the store. The kings do reappear from time to time on the website as he gets China shipments. Not real user friendly service either.

Live in California??? Pick these up and sell one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/TWO-Sharper-Image-Electric-Cruiser-Bicycles_W0QQitemZ330147511366QQihZ014QQcategoryZ42313QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am being a complete smartass but I am avoiding some work I have to do tonight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONGOOSE-ELECTRIC-BICYCLE-SAVE-GAS-NEW_W0QQitemZ270145977345QQihZ017QQcategoryZ42313QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/EV-Global-Ebike-LE-Touring-electric-bicycle-36-Volt_W0QQitemZ270147366067QQihZ017QQcategoryZ22703QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-ZAP-EXPRESS-ELECTRIC-BICYCLE-MOTOR-KITS-NEW-NR_W0QQitemZ270147129594QQihZ017QQcategoryZ42314QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Never had a Mongoose, did see one once, but since Xyster has one that alone is a big ad for the product.

Did have the Z.A.P. in a single motor version. Indestructible and foolproof are two pretty good adjectives that can be used in the description. Ease of installation will signify the start up procedure. Like the Mongoose it won't go fast and will require pedaling to get any serious range. But, sometimes we forget, we're talking bicycles here and not mopeds or motorcycles.

Despite the fact the Z.A.P. is a friction drive motor, mine showed very little tire wear after several years. The only reason those tires aren't on the bike now is that dry rot was beginning to have an influence on them and at 30 mph with the 5304 I didn't want tire failure cause I was too cheap to buy decent tires.

Just as soon as you put budget limitations on a project like this you are forced to either sacrifice performance or increase imagination significantly. If you're going the imagination route you're in the right place.

Mike

mvadventure said:
Never had a Mongoose, did see one once, but since Xyster has one that alone is a big ad for the product.

More like a big ad for the fact Xyster blew his budget on his first bike, and couldn't afford a second crystalyte system. :)

Rassy said:
That $150 (Plus $46 shipping) kit actually included the laced motor, controller, twist throttle, and batteries. Of course they are currently out of stock. :lol:

Okay, well that's better. If they had them available it would be a good deal.

And ebay looks like a good place to pick up bargains...

Back