underwater e-bike

monster

100 kW
its weird looking at all the pictures of people using bicycles to get around the flooded UK. apparently bikes work better than cars when you are under 2ft of water! who knew?

petrol engines konk out because they need electrics but diesels are ok because they have need no spark plugs. presumably electric bikes would be dead too.

i wonder what its like cycling through water?

A well-sealed hubmotor can be operated in up to axle-deep water. I don't know if the bearings can be sealed well enough for full underwater operation.

I've done some stupid things like ride an e-bike underwater. It will work, but for how long is anyone's guess. The motor is not water proof, so it will be filled with mud and junk, will probably get into the bearings which is very bad for wear. The controllers don't seem to mind, depending on what's in the water that could conduct electricity. Batteries, the lead acid type anyway seem to hold up find as long as the water doesn't conduct enough to short them out.

This was all done on a WE brushless motor on this e-bike below. Needless to say, it was funny because the e-bike was underwater, sounded like a submarine when I spun up the motor. Couldn't really go anywhere as the tire was spinning too fast and bouncing off the creek bed. Yes it was stupid and ruined everything on it, so don't do this.
dcp02191_226.jpg

Back