requirements for selecting a bike to convert? (to an ebike)

callagga

100 W
Hi,

If I was going to choose a new/cheapish bike to convert to an bike, what would be the basic requirements? (I mainly want upgrade from my existing old mountain bike (steel frame) as it doesn't have disc brake mount points on it and I'd like to go to disc brakes). For example / specifically:

• Aluminium Frame - Is this OK? I asked our local bike shop and they told me this would be stronger than the old steel frames (but strong/good in comparison with the lighter technology frames). Are there actually different grades of aluminium by the way
  • Shock Absorbers - Are these OK for an ebike? or is there a reason to avoid these? (mine will be front hub motor and battery [10AH LiFePO4 on rear rack)
  • Anything else? (I can't think of anything, just the frame would be the main thing I would have thought - it shouldn't matter the type/quality of gears etc)

thanks

Some additional notes/requirements:
  • will be just a commuting ebike, so on-road, about 2 x 20km a day
  • front hub motor is an eZee from ebikes.ca (they've said I probably don't need a torque arm for this one)
  • battery on back is a 36V, LiFePO4 10AH, so about 3.5kg I think (7.7 pounds)

Aluminum frame should be fine, but be careful with Aluminum forks, it can certainly be done, but Aluminum cracks when pushed beyond it's limit whereas steel bends. In the case of dropouts, steel is your friend. If you go Aluminum do lots of research and get a torque arm.

Might I modify your requirements a bit? :wink:

First off, I think you need to answer what do YOU want in an electric bike, where, how and when will you use it (off road, street only, commuting, week-ends only, etc.)

The only absolute basics I would offer for most any bike, is strong drop-outs (forks especially, since you want a front hub motor) and you would be wise to get steel forks because they can be used much more trouble free than aluminum. The major difference with frames is going to be strength dependent mostly on where and how you mount the batteries, how heavy the batteries are, and steel is actually much preferred in my book since any time there is a structural failure, steel can be repaired when often times aluminum cannot, and almost always will need to be replaced.

I have marzocchi suspension forks that happened to come with disc brakes on the used mid-90's used Nishiki I bought, and I don't have anything but standard rim brakes on the rear, and I have no trouble at all stopping very quick from even speeds of 45+ MPH going down hill, so in my book, rear disc breaks (unless you building an "lightweight motorcycle" type of e-bike and planning on exceeding speeds of 40+ MPH under battery power) are really a nicety and not a necessity.

That being said, I would also myself like to have a bike that is full suspension, steel with disc brake bosses on the frame. They do exist, (in hard-tail form) and you can get them only a couple pounds heavier than the more expensive aluminum frames.

Just remember even if your not making a really high powered e-bike, any e-bike is going to have extra weight putting stresses on frames where they were never designed to take them, starting with the weight of the motor in the hub, and then the battery.

I really, really prefer having a low center of gravity (keeping the batteries as low as possible in the frame triangle) for my batteries after building a much LESS than ideal e-bike for my father with SLA batteries on a decent rear rack (34lbs of battery!! :shock: :shock: :shock: ) that made his rear hub motor bike so rear heavy and top heavy that if it started to lean to one side with even just the front tire off the ground that it wanted to flop side-ways rather abruptly. :roll: :lol: :oops:

I would say that once you decide what your real world requirements are going to be, if this is going to be more of an assisted pedal bike or more of a scooter with pedals, then you can better determine what you need. :)

P.S. No matter what forks you use, a torque arm is HIGHLY recommended, you can get away with out one on steel forks, but I think a face plant when fork drop-outs stretch, bend or break would be much worse than the $15 - $25 you spend on a torque arm preventing that from happening.

callagga said:
[*]Aluminium Frame - Is this OK? I asked our local bike shop and they told me this would be stronger than the old steel frames (but strong/good in comparison with the lighter technology frames).
Al can be strong but if it has Al dropouts then you may break them suddenly and without warning with a hub motor. If you are not using a hub motor (or an internally-geared hub being driven by a non-hub motor) then you likely won't have a problem with the dropouts at least.

This is true of front or rear dropouts, and it is possible to break them even with torque arms with a powerful enough motor. There are some pics somewhere in a post within the last month or two of someone that did this.

A good chromoly steel frame will probably be as light, possibly lighter than, an Al frame of the same strength, and the steel will bend instead of just breaking off suddenly if you do have a failure. You'll have a warning that something is wrong, as long as you are paying attention to the bike each ride.

That said, since you are currently planning a front hub motor, you could use an Al frame but then have steel front forks and it'd probably work out ok.

Are there actually different grades of aluminium by the way
Yes; the cheaper the bike is the more likely it is to use thicker metal of a lower grade. Just like steel bikes.

[*]Shock Absorbers - Are these OK for an ebike? or is there a reason to avoid these? (mine will be front hub motor and battery [10AH LiFePO4 on rear rack)
No reason to avoid them if you prefer them for your ride. Just make sure that they are either adjustable for ride height/stiffness or that they are already setup for the extra battery/controller weight you will have on there. The motor weight doesn't count as it will be unsuspended (unsprung) as part of the wheel, using a front hub.

With a full-suspension bike it is not as easy to make a very stiff rear rack for the batteries and stuff, compared to a hardtail bike, since you can't hook the rack up to the rear dropouts along with the seatpost; it either has to be supported by the seatpost entirely or it has to have some side supports that run around the rear wheel/frame and down to some other point on the main frame. But it has been done and done well on a lot of bikes.

[*]Anything else? (I can't think of anything, just the frame would be the main thing I would have thought - it shouldn't matter the type/quality of gears etc)
Most of the rest of it depends entirely on what you like in a bike, and your other needs. For instance, if you need cargo room, more comfortable seat, different bars, what shifter types you like, what kinds of brake handles, etc. Whatever makes your ride more fun for you. :)

If you were running a non-hub motor setup it could make more difference what other stuff is on the bike for drivetrain components, if you run the motor thru the drivetrain.

Demosthenes said:
Aluminum frame should be fine, but be careful with Aluminum forks,
What I'm not sure about here is, if you want to get a value-for-money new complete bike, I'm not sure if you can get an Aluminum frame but with steel forks? Like how would I specify this to a typical bike shop?

LI-ghtcycle said:
First off, I think you need to answer what do YOU want in an electric bike, where, how and when will you use it (off road, street only, commuting, week-ends only, etc.)
I added this to the bottom of the original post

LI-ghtcycle said:
is strong drop-outs (forks especially, since you want a front hub motor) and you would be wise to get steel forks
Note my comment re my eZee motor and how ebikes.ca suggested I may not need a torque arm - so given this I guess the base question is should I be OK for a low-end Aluminium mountain bike (that would no doubt have Al frames)?

amberwolf said:
you could use an Al frame but then have steel front forks and it'd probably work out ok.
Are there bikes sold like this however? Or would this be a special build and therefore a bit more expensive?

amberwolf said:
With a full-suspension bike it is not as easy to make a very stiff rear rack for the batteries and stuff, compared to a hardtail bike, since you can't hook the rack up to the rear dropouts along with the seatpost; it either has to be supported by the seatpost entirely or it has to have some side supports that run around the rear wheel/frame and down to some other point on the main frame. But it has been done and done well on a lot of bikes.
Arrrr....this is probably what I'd read some time ago. I thought there was a negative to suspension so I think this must have been it - point taken - I probably don't really need suspension for a commuter anyway

Should be, but the really nice bikes have really light forks, which though steel, could still have issues with weakness making a torqe arm a good idea. With beefy forks, like many cheaper bikes have, a properly installed motor under 1000 watts may not need a torque arm.

Aluminum forks are another thing entirely, and require absolutely perfect fitted install by an experienced person, and the use of preferably two tourqe arms.

If hardtail and steel suspension forks are what you'd like, there are a few models out there if you look hard enough. In my area it's a cheaper Trek mtb, with a suntour fork with steel dropouts welded on. About $350 at the shop here. Other options are the mongoose bikes in the $300 or so price range. Aluminum framed, and usually with a steel front suspension fork, these bikes have disk brakes, or at least disk mounts if v braked. These are the cheaper full suspension bikes generally, but not the very cheapest that are often seen in wallmart. If shopping in person, bring a magnet to check for steel.

Whatever you choose, measure the forks carefully to be sure the motor can fit. I've had to take a hammer or vise to quite a few forks to bend em till a motor fits, particularly with the cheap steel suspension forks.

Just about any bike you like though, can have the forks upgraded to stronger ones. Surly forks intended for cargo bikes or longtails are popular, as well as MTB or BMX forks that have a lot of steel in the dropouts.

@dogman - thanks. Hey I like the magnet test.

Anyone know btw what "ADT 6061 Formtech Alloy" is re frame type? This was what the frame was for the Avante bike I posted.

callagga said:
@dogman - thanks. Hey I like the magnet test.

Anyone know btw what "ADT 6061 Formtech Alloy" is re frame type? This was what the frame was for the Avante bike I posted.

Any time I have seen 6061 and had it listed as an "Alloy" it has referenced an aluminum alloy, most bike parts are listed as either steel or alloy (meaning aluminum alloy).

I agree with your LBS, there are different grades of aluminum, and yes you can get some that are stiffer and stronger than steel, however, anything can fail, the major difference being cast aluminum (usually what you find in most forks and almost certainly in less expensive forks) cracks and shatters upon failure, where with steel, not only can it bend usually giving more warning, more importantly, it can be easily repaired, usually by simply bending it back into shape.

Worst case with steel, you might have to get something re-welded, if your at that point with aluminum, because these things are specially heat-treated, once they are welded, it changes the temper of the aluminum, drastically altering that special heat-treating that made it so strong in the first place, and could leave it even more prone to braking, thus most times with aluminum when something fails, the price of repair (if it's even available) would be higher than the cost of replacement.

I am glad that Dogman mentioned measuring the prospective bike's forks! That is VERY crucial! I would much rather (since your buying new and have more options) buy something that comes the way you want it than ever want to have to deal with altering forks to fit the motor. It's pretty normal to have to open up the drop-outs a bit with a file, but IMHO if your getting to the point where your having to bend out steel suspension forks, you should have picked a different fork to start with.

I had a very unpleasant surprise with the aluminum frame of my Nishiki. I took my nephew on just one trip of about 2-3 miles with him riding a "chaser" (half bike with just the crank and back wheel) that pivots on my seat post.

48087436-149x149-0-0_International+Weeride+Copilot+Bike+Trailer.jpg

I was going up-hill and suddenly noticed that my seat wasn't attached solidly anymore! :shock: (in retrospect, I think my nephew was a bit old and over the weight limit too, I was just being lazy since I didn't want to make this trip at his speed with him on his own bike following. :roll: :oops: :lol: )

This thing had cracked the seat post tube 3/4 of the way around! I found a local welder to fix it for me, but since it was such thin metal, it took several attempts to find a welder in his shop that COULD be turned down enough to stop simply blowing holes and I ended up with a really ugly but solid weld for cheap, but I am in search of a good steel frame to replace mine since I have no idea how weakened it has been.

I had a nice 90's steel framed Raleigh in my possession not long ago, that I ended up selling since I needed the money more than the frame, and that bike weighed just a mere 2 pounds more and was stout chrome moly that would have been ideal except it lacked bosses for a disc brake (I now have decided I should just buy a frame lol!) since I can always have those added for cheap by a welder or buy a kit that allows me to bolt one on the frame.

You might also consult the manufacturer of that bike and let them know what your plans are, I know of at least one member who had catastrophic failure of their Jamis Dakar frame that was a full suspension aluminum bike simply due to the added extra weight.

Just remember the average bike maker believes in "lighter is better" and they won't be building as durable as they will be building light and "strong enough" to do the job to compete with the bike world where people will pay 3 times the price to loose 5 pounds of weight, but that doesn't mean that cheaper is automatically stronger either, it's just cheaper and heavier, might just mean cheaper aluminum that is thicker to have the similar strength to that that light weight they or their competitor sells for 2-3x as much. :wink:

so perhaps in fact the best bike may be a cheap one from a large retail chain (i.e. if it's steel frame) then? Only issue here I guess is if you actually want the cheaper (steel) frame, but at the same time you really want some decent gears/brakes...

Actually there are several options even brand new in steel, look on bikepedia.com and you will find that even some of the premium brands like Specialized and Trek have steel framed models, and you really can't beat a Trek model 820 IMHO, at about $300 new.

Better still you should be able to find one of these bikes used for less than $200 on craigslist near your town. I personally prefer the larger framed bikes because even at 5'8" I am long legged and seem only to fit best on a 20"+ size frame that also allows more room for batteries in the triangle. 8)

http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2009&Brand=Trek&Model=820&Type=bike

image.aspx

This particular bike comes with a steel chrome moly frame (suggested retail $325 new!), and I don't know on the forks, but just bring a magnet with you, and search your local "recyclery" or other used bike shop and/or craigslist. :) I have been told that Trek and Specialized have just about the strongest frames you can buy for a reasonable price (sure you can get a Surly or some other premium frame, but also at a premium price).

I'm going to see about buying one of the frames from the same model (hopefully today), an older used frame, but it's only going to cost me $30! :twisted:

That trek looks a lot like the one I was talking about. In general, that's the price range where you might find caliper brakes, but mounts for a disk upgrade. Shifters get better. Above $500, everything gets really light, and may be too weak for the daily pounding of a motorized commuter. There are exeptions though. The surly long haul trucker for one, is built for carrying heavy panniers on long tours. It just depends on the use the bike is intended for. Racing stuff tends to shave weight, where commuter stuff may tend to durability.

On the subject of fork modifications, the ones I was bending were the cheapest steel, pinched tube type shocks. On that design, you can pinch them a bit higher to fit a motor without any problems. The clearance issue on suspension forks tends to go away once you get into expensive DH bike forks, that have the tubes further apart for huge tires. But on the low end alloy forks the tubes may rub the motor covers.

I know I tend to extremes...

But I've had a front hub/rear battery on rack setup, and it SUCKS.

The handling is woeful. Ever do a paper round with the papers on the packrack in a box? Oh...that was fun....

At least it's better than a rear hub/rear battery which is even worse, with a tendency to wheelie as well as woeful handling.

The only place for batteries is in the frame. The bike is so much better mannered, there is no comparison.

Both front and rear hub work well, but now I have tried both I prefer rear hub.

The advantages are lighter front end, no scary front wheel powerslides in the wet, and no complications with the fork.

The disadvantages are you are messing with the gears, you will tend to break more spokes (more weight on rear), can be difficult to fit a disc brake, or wheel dish issues can make it tricky with V brakes.

A front hub motor handles very well in the dry....hmmm one day I may add a bafang to the front!

Remember, batteries go in the frame!!

Disc brakes, full suspension, big triangle.

But that's just me :mrgreen:

patrickza said:

But that's just me :mrgreen:

Robust suspension pivots and arms. Easy torque arm mounting.

When you find this magic full suspension frame (that is also available for less than $500 used AND is chrome moly) please let me know! (not just being facetious :wink: )

I have had a REALLY hard time locating anything that has all of the following:

1) Full Suspension -----

2) Large unencombered (read the rear suspension doen't take up a significant amount of the frame triangle) ----

3) Has bosses for rear disc brakes ----

4) Is chrome moly

I have seen TONS of hardtails with chrome moly frames, but none that are full suspension, I know they exist, but I'm really not willing to have a custom frame made or pay $1000's just to have a decent full suspension frame that is chrome moly.

I have to ask the same question also as I have yet to see any examples of a premium frame builder (i.e. Trek, Specialized or equivalent) that even makes a chrome moly frame AND has bosses for rear disc brakes.

I finally gave up and just bought a Trek 920 frame that isn't disc brake ready, but to be honest other than increased performance in the rain over rim brakes, I can't see a need for rear disc. :?

callagga said:
LI-ghtcycle said:
Trek model 820 IMHO, at about $300 new
which one would you go for if you had to also include Disc Brakes?

Which ever year/model of Trek 820 that would include disc brakes, and the rest is just the level of quality in components.

Sadly, I don't believe any of the 820's are even disc brake ready, but I think if you can get lucky like me and find a good deal on a used frame/bike, it shouldn't be too hard to find a local welder that can add the disc brake bosses for you later if you so decide you need them.

Personally, as long as I'm not going much more than 25 MPH on the flat, rear disc brakes aren't really a priority. If I was using an e-bike that traveled in excess of 35 MPH+ on the flat, then I would consider rear disc more of a priority. 8)

I've not seen rear suspension on a steel frame either. So if you must have steel, it's hardtail for you. Lots of choices then, and not always that expensive.

In the aluminum frame FS bikes there are some that have some triangle space. Typically they have the shock mounted along the top tube or along the seat tube. From what I can tell looking at pix, there isn't room for a big battery, but lipos or toopacks would tuck in there ok. The one I was trying to find was the Kona Dog or the less expensive Dogma. Had to like the name anyway.

In the cheaper FS bikes, one notable one to look for in used bikes is the Schwinn S-5. If you go back far enough, Link has a lot of pics on his S-5 build in a thread called S go, or Links Schwinn S go. Perhaps Schwinn still makes a similar frame today, but I belive the S go is not avaliable new now.

This pic shows a FS with some room in the frame I found at the flea, an old mongoose from possibly 15 years ago.Dogmans commuter V2.0.jpg

This bike was OK, but has the typical cheezy rear shock, and when I overloaded the rear, the frame swayed a lot at the pivots. It would have been OK with the battery in the triangle, but 70 miles worth of lifepo4 wasn't going to fit there. I recently upgraded to a nicer Giant FS. The giant frame is solid as any steel frame I've ridden, but now that is a bike that sold in the above $800 range in 2005. The giant took me years to afford, but riding it is a dream now.

Actually, thinking about it, what I think I'd like is the following...not sure what bike brand/model might meet this?

• Setup = Hub motor (eZee) on front, with battery pack (~3.5kg) in rear carrier (I like this), like the first picture at http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9901
  • Disc brakes (on at least the front, but ideally on back too)
  • Full suspension on front and back
  • Rear rack carrier => so this implies a strong set of bars coming back from the frame for this, as I'm after rear suspension on the back (is this possible?)
  • Usage = Road only / commuting
  • Prefer a flat-bar commuter type bike over MTB (e.g. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bikes/model/seek.1/5332/39067/), however if a MTB frame is more easy to fit the requirements (and change the tyres to road) then that may be OK. Would also like the handlebars that just angle up a little bit, so you're not quite so bent over...

I don't think a steel frame is necessary on an e-bike. I agree that a steel fork is a must for using a front hub motor.
IMHO, the best e-bike frame will allow you to mount the batteries low in the frame.
A giant stilleto or something similar would do it.

dogman said:
I recently upgraded to a nicer Giant FS. The giant frame is solid as any steel frame I've ridden, but now that is a bike that sold in the above $800 range in 2005. The giant took me years to afford, but riding it is a dream now.
which Giant model was it dogman? Do you have a link?

I'm starting to have a look again at bikes - I think I'll aim at disc brakes front and rear, which typically seems to imply MTB for value for money - I'll put a torque arm on too.

These are are four I've come up with so far - any comments? any stand out as being better for an eBike

Giant - Strata
* Shimano M416 mechanical disc brakes
* InSync Point300 90mm travel w/lockout and custom spring rate
* http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bikes/model/strata.blue/5290/37296/

Avante - Spirit 2
* Shimano M416 Mechanical Disc
* RST Capa ML 80mm Travel with Mechanical Lockout
* http://www.avantibikes.com/spirit/spirit-2.aspx?bid=260

Trek - 3900
* Promax, mechanical disc w/Shimano EF50 levers
* SR Suntour SF9 XCT V2 w/coil spring, preload, 100mm
* http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/3_series/3900disc/

Moongoose - ROCKADILE ALX (Mens)
* RRP = $579
* FRAME - Heat treated aluminium
* FORK = Suntour M2025 63mm travel
* BRAKES - ProMax mechanical disc with 160mm
* http://www.mongoosebikes.com.au/bikes/specification.php?id= 544

My Giant is a 2005 OS 3. Once you get into the better FS mountainbikes, they all have very strong frames. They look the same from the outside, but may have much thicker tubes, or fancy shapes that make the tube stiffer. My Giant was a bit bottom of the line components on a good frame, 8 speed derailur, v brakes, sorta cheap crank, etc. But when I carry a big load, the tail wags a LOT less than on the cheap mongoose wallbike frames.

This is it.Giant OS 3 Ebikekit build.jpg

doing some more looking at thinking of the first of these two (the Avanti) - just a bit more re $, but then it does give me hydro disc brakes - I'll just need to take my front wheel with hub motor into the shop and get them to check it fits in OK - it's the eZee from ebikes.ca with a disc plate already there so I'm thinking it should be OK

a) Avanti Ridge Rider - http://www.avantibikes.com/cross-country/ridge-rider.aspx?bid=234
08%20Avanti%20Ridge%20Rider.preview.jpg

b) Giant Yukon - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bikes/model/yukon.black.silver/5291/37297/
yukon06l.jpg

Back