Anyone ever broken a brake lever?

Kevinator

100 W
I've already seen the thread about how to use reed switches to use any brake levers you want.

Just curious if anyone has ever broken a standard ebike brake lever during hard braking. I'm talking about the ebike brake levers that cut off power to the motor. IMHO they aren't made very rugged, and have a decent amount of flex.

Wow, I didn't know they made some in plastic!? :shock: :roll: :? That's crazy!

I haven't broken any brake handles, but I would imagine that if your having trouble breaking any of the metal ones, then your brakes might not be adjusted properly or your just using too much force on an inadequate braking system. I don't go over 43 MPH on a regular basis (going down a long steep hill) and I can slow down just using the rear rim brake from that speed, but I also have a disc brake on the front, so I can stop really fast if I need to. I have had to adjust my brakes about 1 - 2 times per month, but that's just because I average about 100 miles a week.

I haven't seen anything wrong with the ones that came with my kit either, they just seem to be standard brake levers (Amped Bikes Kit) nothing fancy, but nothing flimsy either.

I've broken non ebike brake levers by knocking the bike over, but not just using the brakes. The ones that came in motor kits with the switches have been metal ones that were adequate. Not particularly high quality but metal and sturdy.

Now that I've upgraded the bike though, I'm sticking with the nice shimano integrated brake and shift levers. I'm smart enough to get off the throttle while braking.

Similar to dogman, I've only broken a brake lever (a cheap noname cast Al one) with an impact (in this case, years back hitting a pothole and crashing onto the sidewalk, skidding and the lever breaking at the pivot point, also cracking it's handlebar clamp at that point).

Even on CrazyBike2, the heaviest bike I've ever had so far (working on fixing that ;)) at 300+ lbs with me and the bike, plus over 80 pounds of cargo (dogfood) with a cheap ScootNGo brake lever with a plastic handle, I never broke it (even knocking it over a few times), no matter how hard or suddenly I braked with it. Of course, it didn't exactly stop the bike well but that's not the lever's fault. ;)

I've broken some of the cheaper - china brand plastic eBrake specific levers (the ones where the mount flange for the bars is plastic not the pull arm).

That's why I upgrade my drive wheel brake pull with a reed switch / magnet - I only need cutout when I pull the drive wheel (sometimes I am trying for a line lock burn so... can't have both cutout) so this works well for me.

-Mike

Back