Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
wordsforthewise   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 1
Joined: Oct 29 2014 7:36pm

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by wordsforthewise » Oct 29 2014 7:56pm

...
Last edited by wordsforthewise on Mar 22 2015 5:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

rider95   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 319
Joined: Apr 25 2014 11:18am
Location: North west Indy

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by rider95 » Oct 30 2014 7:51am

My experience with HPC, first purchase I bought a 52v battery with charger back in May I needed a battery that would fit my frame. Battery was the size or the dimensions they said it would be unlike EMV3 battery I bought from Paul (Paul did give me a refund) and I received it promptly works great. My next purchase I bought a striker 4v T to compare to my mac10 t I am just now getting it laced to a rim , but received it in a week . But on Monday as I was charging my bike the charger quit and only charged my battery to 51v instead of the normal 57v . Tried to call a couple of times got a answer mich so I go on line and start filling out the contact info , when phone rings its George from HPC !! he helps me trouble shoot the charger and yes its bad George tells me he goanna send a replacement charger at no cost to me tells me I will have it by Thursday I received new charger on wedsday!!!!!!! yes that's right I couldn't believe it ether . I am puzzled by your comment that your bike peddles like your peddling in mud when not under power , you bought a whole bike from them and you don't know the deference between a DD hub and a geared hub ??

born2drv   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 23 2014 4:28pm
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Contact:

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by born2drv » Oct 30 2014 5:02pm

For me they are local. I considered buying from them, but the prices are pretty high.

They were very nice on the phone, helpful, and offered to lace my motor on a rim, assemble a kit, or do whatever e-bike work I need at their regular shop rate price. Not sure I would buy a complete bike from them, but I probably will at some point consider having them do some work on whatever I end up building if I need the help or expertise.... since most bike shops I called around here will not touch electric bikes or electric kits.

My 2c.

User avatar
Lenk42602   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 887
Joined: Oct 04 2007 1:03pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by Lenk42602 » Oct 30 2014 5:10pm

Well,

I have purchased a battery and charger from them. battery shipped quickly and has worked impeccably since mid year.

Guys on the phone were nothing but helpful, product showed up.

No drama whatsoever.

Caveat emptor.

Anybody that signs up to our forum and makes a slanderous first post about a vendor the in 30 minutes?

Join, search HPC, repeat some of the same stuff that people with negative things to say, post a topic.

usually not the kind of customer I would want anyway.

He's probably not coming back.....

Len

miro13car   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1722
Joined: Mar 26 2007 1:30pm
Location: Calgary, Canada

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by miro13car » Oct 30 2014 6:20pm

It works both ways you know
lastearth had also 1 post when he is prasing HPC and
he was called shill by other members immediately.
So it is very personal how you feel, real, fake ....
so it works both ways.
I THINK negative experiences described here HPC are real.

User avatar
Lenk42602   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 887
Joined: Oct 04 2007 1:03pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by Lenk42602 » Oct 30 2014 7:20pm

miro13car wrote:It works both ways you know
lastearth had also 1 post when he is prasing HPC and
he was called shill by other members immediately.
So it is very personal how you feel, real, fake ....
so it works both ways.
I THINK negative experiences described here HPC are real.
Do you have any experience with them? Have you purchased from them?

jerrydubois3   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 39
Joined: May 20 2014 8:55pm
Contact:

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by jerrydubois3 » Oct 30 2014 8:51pm

I have a couple battery packs..72 volt and another pair or high amp 48 volt and they are great. Also got a 3500 watt Crystalyte motor and wheel from them. i bought through local bike shop cause I wanna support them. Good stuff. I have called them a few times and tend to agree a little with previous posts but I think they getting better.
Phasor....108 Volt 100 AMP Cromotor
Raptor........108 Volt 100 Amp CroMotor
Greyborg....84 Volt 60 Amp HPC 3500 Watt

hi-powercycles   100 W

100 W
Posts: 105
Joined: Jul 10 2008 9:11pm

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by hi-powercycles » Oct 31 2014 11:57am

wordsforthewise wrote:ATTENTION: HPC is terrible; do not buy from them. DO NOT BUY FROM HPC

I recently bought the hardtail bike from HPC. They would not listen to me when I requested they make my tires tubeless; instead they said they would put triple-thick tubes and kevlar liners in there. They did not put the kevlar liners, and I just got a flat. They continued to make excuses for not putting in the kevlar liners. They also forgot to send the rack with the bike, which I had ordered.

One shitty thing about the hub motors is they have a lot of drag to them. This means pedaling the bike without power is absolutely terrible. It's like pedaling through very thick mud. The bike is essentially useless unless you have power.

HPC exaggerates their range by about 100%, meaning you can bet on an actual range of about 1/2 the number they report.

They do not understand discharge rates of batteries, so they produce sub-optimal battery systems.

They are very disorganized. Every time I would call to ask a question or request something, it would take them 10 minutes to look up my order. They said the only record tracking they have is in quickbooks.

Although the bike works and wasn't too terrible to set up, I feel very ripped off buying this bike. I bet you could build one yourself, with minimal effort (maybe takes a day or two) for 2K, when the bike from HPC costs 4K. How does 1K/day pay sound to you? You could probably also pay a bike shop to set up the bike for less than $500.

I'm pretty sure these are just some socal brats, the sons of rich mofos, who wanted to ride electric bikes and not work, so they got some money from their parents to start an electric bike company to make it appear to their parents they were working, when in fact, they dick around on e-bikes all day. They do not appear to give a single frock about the customer. So far, Derek is the only one at the company who seems to actually care a little bit.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. For their hardtail, they use the ALITE 500, worth about 800 bucks. This bike is not easy to fit with a rack or fenders, making the bike even more useless and less robust.

So, $800 for the bike, around 1K-1.5K for the battery / motor / charger, 50 bucks for a light, and these guys charge 4K for that. Total rip off and not worth it. Might as well custom build it for now. Although I would recommend a mid-drive so you don't have the ridiculous drag from the hub motor, although I'm not sure there's kits out there for that.

The whole experience has pissed me off so much though that I might start making some of my own. Will let you know asap. :twisted:
Hi there,
If you are a real customer and not a competitor, call me personally at 818 734 1600. Ask for Chris. We take care of our customers. We do not use an Alite 500, sorry, you can look at the specifications yourself. Not even close. If you would compare our entry level HT-1 hardtail spec to spec vs any KHS 26" hardtail, it is better equipped than anything they have. If you got one of our specials, we do sell a KHS Alite 500 for a cheap price with a conversion kit on it.

Regarding discharge rates, you are well uninformed. Our standard Li-NMC is true 5C continuous, our HPC Elite is true 7C continuous and our highest end HD Elite is 12C continuous. We urge you to compare to other vendors. We do this so batteries do not even work hard at the working 40-50A. This means they barely get warm under load. As we state numerous times on our specifications, range is a MAXIMUM at 18-20 mph on flat ground, no pedaling. Of course you will get less when getting after it or when offroading, etc.

Regarding your comments about our origins and getting money from rich parents. Sorry, but we have grown organically from day 1, and never borrowed money from anybody. We are very proud of this fact. Like I said, if you really bought a bike from us and are unhappy, call me ASAP and we can chat.

hi-powercycles   100 W

100 W
Posts: 105
Joined: Jul 10 2008 9:11pm

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by hi-powercycles » Oct 31 2014 12:07pm

jerrydubois3 wrote:I have a couple battery packs..72 volt and another pair or high amp 48 volt and they are great. Also got a 3500 watt Crystalyte motor and wheel from them. i bought through local bike shop cause I wanna support them. Good stuff. I have called them a few times and tend to agree a little with previous posts but I think they getting better.
Jerry,
Are you really using our 3500W motor at 84V x 60A??? If so that is awesome to hear it is holding up!

hi-powercycles   100 W

100 W
Posts: 105
Joined: Jul 10 2008 9:11pm

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by hi-powercycles » Oct 31 2014 12:38pm

Nathan,
Just looked over a bunch of emails and talked to guys in the back and I think I found you.

Regarding the new 17.4Ah pack. This is our first pack to use 18650 cells (versus prismatic pouch cells for the rest) and we don't skimp. We use Panasonic 2900PF cells which are relatively new and widely regarded as one of the best 18650 cells on the market for e-bike use. They are rated at 3C by Panasonic.

Regarding tubeless tires. As we told you, we do not offer this for any of our bikes as none of our rims are tubeless compatible. We feel triple thick thorn resistant tubes are a better fit for our heavy rear hub motors. If you paid for and did not receive mr. tuffy tire liners, we will refund your money immediately, or ship them out today, your choice. Please call us immediately at 818 734-1600 so we can take care of you. Thanks

jerrydubois3   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 39
Joined: May 20 2014 8:55pm
Contact:

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by jerrydubois3 » Oct 31 2014 10:28pm

Believe it or not....I have the 3500 watt on a Greyborg frame. Bike is pretty nice. I rarely go over 40mph :)
Phasor....108 Volt 100 AMP Cromotor
Raptor........108 Volt 100 Amp CroMotor
Greyborg....84 Volt 60 Amp HPC 3500 Watt

User avatar
Chalo   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7961
Joined: Apr 29 2009 11:29pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by Chalo » Nov 01 2014 3:46am

wordsforthewise wrote:They would not listen to me when I requested they make my tires tubeless;
Tubeless tires are a stupendous messy pain in the ass, and should only be used by a rider who is committed to doing all installation and maintenance himself. Expecting someone else to install or repair tubeless bicycle tires is like defecating in your pants on purpose and then demanding that someone else clean you up.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

rider95   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 319
Joined: Apr 25 2014 11:18am
Location: North west Indy

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by rider95 » Nov 02 2014 12:30pm

wordsforthewise you call the HPC guys spoiled rich brats but it seems your the spoiled little rich kid so mommy bought you a new toy , and you are not mature enough nor possess the skill or knowledge to play with such toy . You complain your bike peddles like mud but you don't know the deference between a DD and a geared hub you should put the bike up for sale on here cut your losses . Maybe a new video game would suit you better

exe   10 W

10 W
Posts: 84
Joined: Apr 04 2012 10:19am
Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by exe » Nov 02 2014 10:06pm

HPC, nice to see you guys responding here. I have a Striker with the 100.8v battery and one of my chargers blew. I emailed you guys about it and after a few exchanges, there was silence at your end and it has been many months since.The last email was signed by Chris dated August 26. Can you let me know if you are honoring your warranty or not, thank you.

999zip999   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 9177
Joined: Jan 10 2010 1:40pm
Location: Dana Point So. Cal

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by 999zip999 » Nov 03 2014 12:37am

Exe please update with news from hpc

rider95   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 319
Joined: Apr 25 2014 11:18am
Location: North west Indy

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by rider95 » Nov 03 2014 1:56am

I called them and got my charger replaced in 2 days , called Monday new charger came on wedsday

hi-powercycles   100 W

100 W
Posts: 105
Joined: Jul 10 2008 9:11pm

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by hi-powercycles » Nov 09 2014 4:12am

Exe,
Please PM me your name and email address so I can look you up in the system! Better yet, give me a call Monday and I will take care of you. Ask for Chris.

Also, if you have not already, you must check BOTH fuses- one is on the front face of the charger, and the other is in the rear. Usually when something goes bad with a charger, this is the most likely culprit. Replacement fuses came in the original charger boxes.

Also, don't worry about warranty, I will date it back to your earliest correspondence with us stating you had a problem... Hope to resolve your issue soon! Thanks and sorry for missing your email.

stevebills   100 W

100 W
Posts: 155
Joined: Jan 06 2011 1:12pm

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by stevebills » Nov 09 2014 7:17am

morph999 wrote:Did you guys know that E+ sells kits now? You make a very stealth electric bike on your own. They build the battery pack into the bike rim.

http://epluselectricbike.com/shop/produ ... -39-4.html
Repulsive bikes is a good name :D
Optibike and Stealth Bomber

stevebills   100 W

100 W
Posts: 155
Joined: Jan 06 2011 1:12pm

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by stevebills » Jan 08 2015 2:09am

GTR2EBIKE wrote:Mostly a 10 mile commute that I'm looking to do as fast as possible, also I'm just a speed demon.
Get a bomber and u wont look back
Optibike and Stealth Bomber

stevebills   100 W

100 W
Posts: 155
Joined: Jan 06 2011 1:12pm

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by stevebills » Jan 08 2015 2:12am

lastearth wrote:I own 2 bikes from high power cycles, The HT-1 1500 watt thunderbolt and the ht-3 2500watt thunderbolt and these bikes are high quality in electric parts and bike components,

The prices are not that bad considering when dealing with electric parts you get what you pay for and for high power cycles thats top quality.
The motors are very powerful and very quiet. As technology progresses so does their batteries which are now even lighter and have 25% more range

They have great customer service and there bikes are all under warranty
The coolest thing about their bikes is that when riding out on the street other bicyclists or cars dont even know your riding an electric bike and they are blown away when you speed past them

The funnest bike you will ever ride on and off the road
Very Powerful
I think you work for HPC
Optibike and Stealth Bomber

User avatar
skyungjae   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 825
Joined: Nov 30 2012 12:57pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by skyungjae » Jan 12 2015 10:38am

I've never purchased a bike from them, but I have had some email discussions back and forth with them on various things.

I don't think them mesh well with the DIY crowd here on ES. However, if you're looking for a turn key bike that you don't wanna tinker with ,and live in the United States, they may not be a bad vendor to purchase from.

It's always good to have local support when it comes to problems down the road. Shipping and trouble shooting is usually much quicker, and there's less of a language barrier (if English is your primary language).

The only thing is, I don't know what their track record is like. Based on my email conversations with them, I can't gauge whether they'd be the type of vendor to leave their previous customers high and dry after a purchase has problems.

Ordering from China, you're just SOL. :lol:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hi-powercycles   100 W

100 W
Posts: 105
Joined: Jul 10 2008 9:11pm

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by hi-powercycles » Feb 18 2015 10:40pm

stevebills wrote:
lastearth wrote:I own 2 bikes from high power cycles, The HT-1 1500 watt thunderbolt and the ht-3 2500watt thunderbolt and these bikes are high quality in electric parts and bike components,

The prices are not that bad considering when dealing with electric parts you get what you pay for and for high power cycles thats top quality.
The motors are very powerful and very quiet. As technology progresses so does their batteries which are now even lighter and have 25% more range

They have great customer service and there bikes are all under warranty
The coolest thing about their bikes is that when riding out on the street other bicyclists or cars dont even know your riding an electric bike and they are blown away when you speed past them

The funnest bike you will ever ride on and off the road
Very Powerful
I think you work for HPC
LOL. That is really funny. It does really sound like a perfect shill. Thank you lastearth!

rider95   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 319
Joined: Apr 25 2014 11:18am
Location: North west Indy

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by rider95 » Feb 20 2015 8:32pm

I know I Bought a new striker v4 hub motor and speed controller from them in Dec for my winter build to take to bike week in Daytona FL and in spite of every thing I could do , all the e mails phone calls It looks like I will be putting my old EMV3 mac 10 stuff back on for my Fl trip . Yes I am disappointed with them if only we had the week back were George dropped the ball . But really it shouldn't have come to this if the brand new hub motor and speed controller would have worked when I received them in the first place

hi-powercycles   100 W

100 W
Posts: 105
Joined: Jul 10 2008 9:11pm

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by hi-powercycles » Feb 24 2015 6:16pm

rider95 wrote:I know I Bought a new striker v4 hub motor and speed controller from them in Dec for my winter build to take to bike week in Daytona FL and in spite of every thing I could do , all the e mails phone calls It looks like I will be putting my old EMV3 mac 10 stuff back on for my Fl trip . Yes I am disappointed with them if only we had the week back were George dropped the ball . But really it shouldn't have come to this if the brand new hub motor and speed controller would have worked when I received them in the first place
rider95,
If you want to bring this on a public form, I would rather be transparent and lay all the facts for everyone to see and make their own judgement.
1) The motor you purchased was from September 2014 which is still under warranty and we are just hearing about these recent occurrences now.
2) We have always been available and attentive to all your requests to solve this situation. We have even sent you a brand new replacement controller and throttle with pre-paid return labels and packaging.
3) The motor you sent us back had NO packaging in a box and we received the motor with two stripped screws embedded into the disc brake side plate, a broken hall sensor wire, and bared and shorted phase wires at the axle. We have already spent three hours attempting to fix this motor under warranty ourselves, but were unsuccessful.
4) Even after all this we are still working with the manufacturer to try to accommodate you in any way we can. Most companies would leave you high and dry if they received any product in the kind of shape we received this motor in. Hoping to find a solution for you soon.

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1851
Joined: Mar 30 2012 4:00am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Re: Hi-power cycles Anyone have experience with them

Post by Rodney64 » Feb 25 2015 3:28am

hi-powercycles wrote:
rider95 wrote:I know I Bought a new striker v4 hub motor and speed controller from them in Dec for my winter build to take to bike week in Daytona FL and in spite of every thing I could do , all the e mails phone calls It looks like I will be putting my old EMV3 mac 10 stuff back on for my Fl trip . Yes I am disappointed with them if only we had the week back were George dropped the ball . But really it shouldn't have come to this if the brand new hub motor and speed controller would have worked when I received them in the first place
rider95,
If you want to bring this on a public form, I would rather be transparent and lay all the facts for everyone to see and make their own judgement.
1) The motor you purchased was from September 2014 which is still under warranty and we are just hearing about these recent occurrences now.
2) We have always been available and attentive to all your requests to solve this situation. We have even sent you a brand new replacement controller and throttle with pre-paid return labels and packaging.
3) The motor you sent us back had NO packaging in a box and we received the motor with two stripped screws embedded into the disc brake side plate, a broken hall sensor wire, and bared and shorted phase wires at the axle. We have already spent three hours attempting to fix this motor under warranty ourselves, but were unsuccessful.
4) Even after all this we are still working with the manufacturer to try to accommodate you in any way we can. Most companies would leave you high and dry if they received any product in the kind of shape we received this motor in. Hoping to find a solution for you soon.
Far bit of damage to the motor all right. I would have to agree with high power cycles lay all the facts out first.

Post Reply