SMACK!! CRUNCH

kriskros

10 kW
sitting on a corner,waiting for the light....WHACK!! some idiot cut the corner too fine...ihad one wheel just in the gutter.... caught my left ftronr wheel[tadpole trike.... less than a hundred miles on it] rim pretzled... steering knuckle twisted... disc caliper broken.. tie rod bent...boom cracked just in front of the cross arm JUNK yuukkk.... fortunately ,even though i was dragged several feet ,i was not hurt very lucky.... he was charged with hitting a pedestrian???

Glad to hear you're not hurt, sorry about the trike. Was this guy coming from behind you and turning in front or some taking a left turn and cut through your lane? Hitting a pedestrian, WTF??? So little respect for your vehicle that you're a pedestrian. :evil:

F---er! You shoulda took the whole lane. Right crossed? The guy was turning right on the red? Never trust em. Hope he's insured for your loss.

yes he was making a right hand turn on a red and watching the on comming traffic..didnt see me...his statement.... company vehicle so shoud be insurance coverage....tyhanks for the thoughts :(

kriskros said:
..didnt see me...

"Couldn't" see you once he was along side. That, combined with such an obstructed field of vision being down so low, are what keeps me from building one of those low trikes. My bikes are fairly low, and there are common occasions at a few stop signs when I have to stand up to look and make sure the road is clear because of parked cars and other obstructions.

John in CR said:
"Couldn't" see you once he was along side. That, combined with such an obstructed field of vision being down so low, are what keeps me from building one of those low trikes.

+1 gives me the shivers thinking about being hub cap level with the cars on the road
then I see Recumpence trike and forget all that....momentarily.

Glad your ok too mate. Do you have a flag on the trike? if not might be worth getting one?

KiM

ok WAIT... i'm kinda thick... is this a "car" driver/vehicle yer tappin' about?

Lock said:
ok WAIT... i'm kinda thick... is this a "car" driver/vehicle yer tappin' about?

Yes...He was basically cut off at a corner (although stationary at the time) Car ran over his front wheel on his
reverse trike.

KiM

That's why the rider sometimes needs to just take the lane, rather than sit there in the blind spot.

But then, I get the same thing every day at one intersection I can't eliminate from my route. I just take the lane now. Jackasses in cars sit there looking at me in my yellow coat for 90 seconds or more, and then when my crosswalk light turns green, there they go right crossing me. Now I just block the lane and dare em to hit me square on. They aren't going to get a right on red at that intersection anyway.

Good thing you escaped injury, sucks that your ride got crunched.
Sometimes when I`m not in a hurry I will stop way back from the intersection and let all the cars with the zombie drivers be on their way before I get going again.
I just feel safer when I`m behind the pack of cars. I also will pull off and let a pack pass by so I can have the road to myself for a while untill the next pack comes along.

many good thoughts there ,for which i thank all of you.......came bedtime :shock: trying to get to sleep my thoughts reverted the the "incident"[cop gab] and i began to realize just how close i came to damaging or even losing some very useful cycling appendages... it was a commercial van that did me ,could still see that grey slab side filling my entire vision, he came close enough to brush my shoulder.... part of me could have caught in that fender well along with the wheel... to quote the late EP..."all shookup" sleep was slow comming that night... do like the tadpole though. very comfortable riding... like a deck chair on wheels..will replace it....

Trikes are too low, and too wide, to ride on the road.

Mark_A_W said:

So are Lyras riding 2 abreast. I don't think the width is an issue really its
just the low down riding position that scares me after seeing all the 'brilliant'
drivers on the road these days, hell, not hard to imagine some
18 year old tart texting her girlfriend while applying fresh lippy as
she runs over a trike rider...prolly wouldn't even notice she done it :roll:

KiM

dogman said:
That's why the rider sometimes needs to just take the lane, rather than sit there in the blind spot.

But then, I get the same thing every day at one intersection I can't eliminate from my route. I just take the lane now. Jackasses in cars sit there looking at me in my yellow coat for 90 seconds or more, and then when my crosswalk light turns green, there they go right crossing me. Now I just block the lane and dare em to hit me square on. They aren't going to get a right on red at that intersection anyway.

Sorry the trike got wrecked but happy it was tin instead of skin.
3 lanes, 2 going across and one to turn right. My daughter blocked the center lane, with cars on her left and right. Second vehicle back in the lane on her left was an articulating bus. When she got across the intersection, the bus passed her, cut in, pinning her against the curb, knocked her down and ran over her foot. Jumping onto a curb with a pack full of books on your back, is hard when you are 5' and 110 lbs. Dancing carrier over, 3rd year lost at university. Active life is limited. Being it the right can be painful. Be careful.

Icewrench said:
Good thing you escaped injury, sucks that your ride got crunched.
Sometimes when I`m not in a hurry I will stop way back from the intersection and let all the cars with the zombie drivers be on their way before I get going again.
I just feel safer when I`m behind the pack of cars. I also will pull off and let a pack pass by so I can have the road to myself for a while untill the next pack comes along.

Seattle traffic is horrific. I feel for you.

AussieJester said:
Mark_A_W said:

So are Lyras riding 2 abreast. I don't think the width is an issue really its
just the low down riding position that scares me after seeing all the 'brilliant'
drivers on the road these days, hell, not hard to imagine some
18 year old tart texting her girlfriend while applying fresh lippy as
she runs over a trike rider...prolly wouldn't even notice she done it :roll:

KiM

Umm...what?

Two trikes abreast are wider again. So what?

The best bit, and most time-saving, feature of a normal bike is you can sneak down the LH side to the lights (RH side for that lot). You can't do that on a trike.

And you are too low. Flags and lights on poles are all well and good, but the main issue for me is the rider can't see ahead. I'm 7 feet tall when I stand on my pedals - I can see over the traffic to find the best way through them, and see any issues ahead. (And I can ride over many obstacles - gutters, median strips, etc, it's a downhill bike...it hasn't got the same flaw as a Dalek.)

Trikes are toys. Not for commuting in traffic. Neither are 2 wheel bents (too low).

Would I like a KMX with 5000 watts? YES!!! Would I ride it to work? NO WAY.

kriskros said:
sitting on a corner,waiting for the light....WHACK!! some idiot cut the corner too fine...ihad one wheel just in the gutter.... caught my left ftronr wheel[tadpole trike.... less than a hundred miles on it] rim pretzled... steering knuckle twisted... disc caliper broken.. tie rod bent...boom cracked just in front of the cross arm JUNK yuukkk.... fortunately ,even though i was dragged several feet ,i was not hurt very lucky.... he was charged with hitting a pedestrian???

John500 said:
dogman said:
3 lanes, 2 going across and one to turn right. My daughter blocked the center lane, with cars on her left and right. Second vehicle back in the lane on her left was an articulating bus. When she got across the intersection, the bus passed her, cut in, pinning her against the curb, knocked her down and ran over her foot. Jumping onto a curb with a pack full of books on your back, is hard when you are 5' and 110 lbs. Dancing carrier over, 3rd year lost at university. Active life is limited. Being it the right can be painful. Be careful.

Guys, you got proper compensation, right? for all the damages. that's what concerns me, because that's the only thing that can be done after the fact. I prefer tall recumbents, but ride a 10 speed for now.

Glad you're ok, it could have been ALOT worse.
Mark_A_W said:
Trikes are toys. Not for commuting in traffic. Neither are 2 wheel bents (too low).

Would I like a KMX with 5000 watts? YES!!! Would I ride it to work? NO WAY.
I have to agree, they're cool but I wouldn't dare take one on the road around traffic. It's hard enough trying to not get hit by cars that don't see or disregard you on an upright bike.

BTW Mark where have you been the last few years, Daleks can fly these days :p

Pfftt...crappy "updates".

Neither Daleks, nor R2D2, can fly.

Back