Idea for lights, no dc dc convertor needed.

Spacey

100 kW
that will work, however, it will drain that group of cells at an uneven rate relative to the rest of the pack.

you could call that an "unbalancer" if you like, as that's exactly what it will do, unbalance a chunk of your pack at 2 amps.

DC-DCs aren't expensive, especially 27w 48v ones. Come on, do it riiiiight....

If you intend to power additional accessories you might want to add a power strip that would recieve 12v from your converter. From there it will power all 12v items. It is really nice to be free of aa and aaa bateries. Besides the expense, they always run out when you need them the most.

Maybe this isn't a good idea, but what about paralleling the 12V sections and running all your 12V needs from that? Would that be a problem while at the same time the motor is drawing 48V?

G'day folks
Mate, you can't put your batteries in series for 48V AND in parallel for 12V at the same time Try drawing the wiring diagram & count how many shorts you have.

Ahhh yes, I knew there was something that would stop that from working he he.

I have one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TQ6DI2/ref=oss_product

It's ungodly bright (seriously: brighter than most motorcycle headlights), mounts nicely on my handlebars, and works on 9 to 60 volts. I have a dc-dc converter on my bike anyway, because I have a Stirling fridge that fits nicely in my trailer for those trips to the park, but it's nice to know I can run it straight.

If price is an issue, Fechter pointed this out a long time ago, you can use a lot of your laptop/printer/etc power supplies as a dc/dc converter. A lot of them will run off <110v (some don't so you have to check the ones you have.) But I'm sure a lot of you have some extra ones just laying around from past equipment, I know I had a bunch and I tested them out on a 48v test pack that I setup. The output on them also ranges from unit to unit, so check that also, but they are free, so you can't really beat that. Just thought I would throw that back out there.

Yep--check out my CFL headlight/taillight thread in my signature--I use an Averatec 19V laptop supply to *increase* my total voltage to run some CFL lights. :) But it could be used separately, too. I also used some celphone chargers the same way.

Back