New folders - need help identifying

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Post Reply
V_Mark   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: May 25 2010 12:00pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

New folders - need help identifying

Post by V_Mark » Oct 20 2010 8:31pm

So the other day I saw an ad on the Chicago Craigslist for a folding electric and decided to check it out. I called the seller and he said that he worked for a company that had gotten a sample of 12 or so bikes in and were selling them off for $250 each. First some background information: I live in downtown Chicago, don't have a car, and the bike was out in the suburbs.
orangesm.jpg
orangesm.jpg (48.6 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
I took a combination of my main bike, an older Trek 830, front 9c 2806, 36v15ah, and public transportation to get to the suburb, which was 30 miles away. Was able to get in a 40 min charge while there. The bike worked and was full-suspension (which I hadn't realized) so for $250 I picked it up. His craigslist ad said it had a 3.5ah battery, but it actually had a 24v10ah li-ion "little frog" like the ones bmsbattery carries.

I had to do about 12-miles by bike each direction, and on the way back had to take the 2nd bike with me somehow. With about 20 bungees, I was able to fasten the folder to my bike in a way that resembled one of those trailer bike attachments for kids.
1020001702.jpg
Bike in tow
1020001703.jpg

I found a few companies re-branding the bike to their own and selling for over $1,000, but not much info about the components themselves. Here's what I did find:
http://www.cepv.net/upimages1/smallimg/168.pdf
http://www.cepv.net/upimages1/smallimg/167.PDF

The controller is attatched to the frame just behind the seat and under the battery? Does anyone recognize this? I want to figure out if I can run my 36v Ping through this setup.

If anyone is interested, the URL for the ad is http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/2014277333.html
Last edited by V_Mark on Oct 21 2010 12:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Trek Fuel 70 full-suspension / 9c 2806 rear / Infineon 22a / Luna 52v 20ah Li-ion
Original A2B Metro / Ping 48v 15ah
Unbranded full-suspension folder / Bafang 24v rear / 36v 10ah LiFePO4

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14319
Joined: May 20 2008 12:58am
Location: Paradise

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by John in CR » Oct 20 2010 10:24pm

V_Mark,

Excellent score! Now that's the kind of prices I've been clamoring for. If I found functional ebikes with lithium batteries, however small, for $250, I would buy all of them immediately. It appears the guy ended up with an order designed for Europe with that 15kph speed limit, which is easily rectified.

John

V_Mark   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: May 25 2010 12:00pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by V_Mark » Oct 21 2010 2:02am

John in CR wrote:V_Mark,

Excellent score! Now that's the kind of prices I've been clamoring for. If I found functional ebikes with lithium batteries, however small, for $250, I would buy all of them immediately. It appears the guy ended up with an order designed for Europe with that 15kph speed limit, which is easily rectified.

John
The place is a warehouse that ships items regularly, so I'm assuming that they could arrange shipping if you bought a few pieces. As far as I know, there are 9 with lithium left, and 2 with sla.
Trek Fuel 70 full-suspension / 9c 2806 rear / Infineon 22a / Luna 52v 20ah Li-ion
Original A2B Metro / Ping 48v 15ah
Unbranded full-suspension folder / Bafang 24v rear / 36v 10ah LiFePO4

User avatar
spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 11606
Joined: Dec 21 2007 10:27pm
Location: Ft Riley, NE Kansas

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by spinningmagnets » Oct 21 2010 2:15am

Even if they were all guaranteed to be SLA, that is quite a bargain for a full-suspension folder. Many aspects are pretty easily upgradable. Speed, battery type, battery range, controller, rear shock...

V_Mark   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: May 25 2010 12:00pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by V_Mark » Oct 21 2010 2:28am

Just a heads up if anyone else decides to buy any of these bikes: The sellers know absolutely nothing about them.
Trek Fuel 70 full-suspension / 9c 2806 rear / Infineon 22a / Luna 52v 20ah Li-ion
Original A2B Metro / Ping 48v 15ah
Unbranded full-suspension folder / Bafang 24v rear / 36v 10ah LiFePO4

User avatar
Jeremy Harris   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4208
Joined: Oct 23 2007 4:15pm
Location: Salisbury, UK

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by Jeremy Harris » Oct 21 2010 3:30am

That folder looks neat, certainly a bargain.

It shares quite a few common features with the bargain folder I bought on ebay as a new, but parts missing, electric bike (on this thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=21945). Although the frame is very different, it's using what looks to be an identical rear hub motor with band brake, has some similar frame features, like the same shape protector between the cranks for standing on when folded and is using the same KS rear shock and Zoom front forks.

The controller that mine had is a 24V 6 FET unit, that's described a bit here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =2&t=21630 This thread actually refers to a full size bike that I bought from the same vendor as the folder, but electrically it's identical and uses the same controller, hub motor etc. I only have a limited amount of information on this controller, but if yours is the same then what I've been able to glean might help. My controllers are marked '24V - 36V - 48V' as options and there are some jumpers internally that may possible switch voltages (not proven though!).

Jeremy
Please ask questions on the forum, rather than by PM, as it helps others and you'll get a better range of answers.

V_Mark   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: May 25 2010 12:00pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by V_Mark » Oct 21 2010 8:25am

Jeremy Harris wrote:That folder looks neat, certainly a bargain.

It shares quite a few common features with the bargain folder I bought on ebay as a new, but parts missing, electric bike (on this thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=21945). Although the frame is very different, it's using what looks to be an identical rear hub motor with band brake, has some similar frame features, like the same shape protector between the cranks for standing on when folded and is using the same KS rear shock and Zoom front forks.

The controller that mine had is a 24V 6 FET unit, that's described a bit here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =2&t=21630 This thread actually refers to a full size bike that I bought from the same vendor as the folder, but electrically it's identical and uses the same controller, hub motor etc. I only have a limited amount of information on this controller, but if yours is the same then what I've been able to glean might help. My controllers are marked '24V - 36V - 48V' as options and there are some jumpers internally that may possible switch voltages (not proven though!).

Jeremy
Thanks for the info! I'll open up the controller and see what I have to work with. They actually had two bikes identical to yours, in silver, that they sold just before I arrived:
Image
Trek Fuel 70 full-suspension / 9c 2806 rear / Infineon 22a / Luna 52v 20ah Li-ion
Original A2B Metro / Ping 48v 15ah
Unbranded full-suspension folder / Bafang 24v rear / 36v 10ah LiFePO4

DAND214   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3227
Joined: Aug 10 2008 8:28pm
Location: About 1200 miles south of Chicago, in sunny/rainny Port Richey, Florida!

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by DAND214 » Oct 21 2010 9:03am

Do you have the address? I'm next town over. I sent a email but no response yet.
Dan

V_Mark   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: May 25 2010 12:00pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by V_Mark » Oct 21 2010 11:58am

Found this:

A.K.A. Powerped Sherpa series
http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/powerped-sherpa-l.html
Trek Fuel 70 full-suspension / 9c 2806 rear / Infineon 22a / Luna 52v 20ah Li-ion
Original A2B Metro / Ping 48v 15ah
Unbranded full-suspension folder / Bafang 24v rear / 36v 10ah LiFePO4

V_Mark   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: May 25 2010 12:00pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by V_Mark » Oct 21 2010 3:39pm

DAND214 wrote:Do you have the address? I'm next town over. I sent a email but no response yet.
Dan
Sent you a PM. The place is called Lumisource and is located in Elk Grove Village, IL.
Trek Fuel 70 full-suspension / 9c 2806 rear / Infineon 22a / Luna 52v 20ah Li-ion
Original A2B Metro / Ping 48v 15ah
Unbranded full-suspension folder / Bafang 24v rear / 36v 10ah LiFePO4

V_Mark   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: May 25 2010 12:00pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by V_Mark » Oct 22 2010 11:29am

Took it on my commute yesterday. 5 miles each way. I don't have a speedometer on it, but I'd say it was topping out around 15mph/25kph. I pedaled along the entire time but never too much. Not a lot of torque, but more than I expected from a 200-250w motor. It rides really smooth! I've never had a dual-suspension before but it was a lot different than my rigid Trek MTB. There was a lot of stop-and-go on the way there and the battery (24v10ah li-ion) indicator showed 1/3. Charged at work. On the way home it was about 10pm so there was less traffic and when I got home the battery indicated 2/3 charge. With continuous light pedaling and not a lot of stops, the battery will probably last around 10 miles. All in all, it's pretty much what I expected in speed and range. Looking forward to trying it at 36v.
Trek Fuel 70 full-suspension / 9c 2806 rear / Infineon 22a / Luna 52v 20ah Li-ion
Original A2B Metro / Ping 48v 15ah
Unbranded full-suspension folder / Bafang 24v rear / 36v 10ah LiFePO4

DAND214   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3227
Joined: Aug 10 2008 8:28pm
Location: About 1200 miles south of Chicago, in sunny/rainny Port Richey, Florida!

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by DAND214 » Oct 22 2010 7:34pm

V_Mark, you were lucky to get it. I called and called, emailed twice before I got a call back and then no response to calls. Such a shame he had one folder when he called me back. By the time I got home 30 min, they didn't answer the phones. I called the # you pm'd me and no answer just a kid on a recorder.
Have fun with it it looks great. Let us know how it does.
Thanks for the heads up anyway.
Dan

V_Mark   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: May 25 2010 12:00pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by V_Mark » Oct 25 2010 2:44am

DAND214 wrote:V_Mark, you were lucky to get it. I called and called, emailed twice before I got a call back and then no response to calls. Such a shame he had one folder when he called me back. By the time I got home 30 min, they didn't answer the phones. I called the # you pm'd me and no answer just a kid on a recorder.
Have fun with it it looks great. Let us know how it does.
Thanks for the heads up anyway.
Dan
Sorry you weren't able to get one. The ad is still up. He had 3-4 folders when I was there, and he said the battery didn't work on one (I suspect he may have been using the wrong charger) so that one may still be available. I'd keep trying.
Trek Fuel 70 full-suspension / 9c 2806 rear / Infineon 22a / Luna 52v 20ah Li-ion
Original A2B Metro / Ping 48v 15ah
Unbranded full-suspension folder / Bafang 24v rear / 36v 10ah LiFePO4

V_Mark   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: May 25 2010 12:00pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by V_Mark » Oct 25 2010 2:52am

Scary malfunction! A few times on my last ride, I would brake to stop at a light and all of a sudden the motor would kick on full-throttle by itself after I let go of the brake. It startled the crap out of me the first time, but it's not a fast bike to I was able to stay in control. I ended up a more in the intersection than I was comfortable with, but I managed to avoid disaster. I kept my hands ready on the brakes from then on and caught it happening a couple of more times during my ride. I'm assuming it's an issue with the controller and not the throttle, but I really have nothing to base it on. It is happening after I come to pretty much a complete stop and then release the brakes so maybe there is something going on with the brake cutoff? I'm about ready to buy an ecrazyman controller and throttle to cover my bases. Is it possible that there is something wrong with the e-brakes?

I have a question about the controllers. Has anyone run the ecrazyman 24v controller at 36v? I'd like to run a ping 36v15ah battery but be able to occasionaly use the 24v10ah li-ion that came with the bike. What would the difference be between running the 24v or 36v controller at 36v?
Trek Fuel 70 full-suspension / 9c 2806 rear / Infineon 22a / Luna 52v 20ah Li-ion
Original A2B Metro / Ping 48v 15ah
Unbranded full-suspension folder / Bafang 24v rear / 36v 10ah LiFePO4

User avatar
lester12483   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 944
Joined: Jan 30 2009 1:45am
Location: Chicago, IL USA

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by lester12483 » Oct 25 2010 8:01pm

Be careful with the potholes here in Chicago. I had a woman bring in a folding bike similar to that orange one to our shop. She hit a pothole and it damaged a spoke on her rear motor. Regular bike shops wont repair them, and the company she bought it from wouldnt help her. We were able to fix it for her but it wasnt easy. I guess you get what you pay for.
MT6 Hybrid- Electric Bicycle 48V
48V 23AH AllCell Lithium Manganese Battery Pack
http://www.chicagoelectricbicycles.com

V_Mark   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: May 25 2010 12:00pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by V_Mark » Oct 26 2010 1:59pm

lester12483 wrote:Be careful with the potholes here in Chicago. I had a woman bring in a folding bike similar to that orange one to our shop. She hit a pothole and it damaged a spoke on her rear motor. Regular bike shops wont repair them, and the company she bought it from wouldnt help her. We were able to fix it for her but it wasnt easy. I guess you get what you pay for.
I've never had spokes break on the motor wheel but I've had plenty replaced on unpowered wheels. Thanks for the warning. These spokes seem pretty thick, and there's plenty of suspension all around so I think they should last a while. I'll tighten/true periodically as well. I'm up in Lincoln Park, not too far from you. It's nice to know if I did break a spoke I'd have somewhere local to go to.
Trek Fuel 70 full-suspension / 9c 2806 rear / Infineon 22a / Luna 52v 20ah Li-ion
Original A2B Metro / Ping 48v 15ah
Unbranded full-suspension folder / Bafang 24v rear / 36v 10ah LiFePO4

User avatar
lester12483   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 944
Joined: Jan 30 2009 1:45am
Location: Chicago, IL USA

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by lester12483 » Oct 26 2010 7:45pm

Bring your bike by the shop sometime. Id like to see it.

Critical mass ride is friday. Are you going?
MT6 Hybrid- Electric Bicycle 48V
48V 23AH AllCell Lithium Manganese Battery Pack
http://www.chicagoelectricbicycles.com

V_Mark   100 W

100 W
Posts: 135
Joined: May 25 2010 12:00pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: New folders - need help identifying

Post by V_Mark » Oct 29 2010 3:40pm

lester12483 wrote:Bring your bike by the shop sometime. Id like to see it.

Critical mass ride is friday. Are you going?
Yep. Maybe I'll see you soon. I won't have the folder though, but my main ride.
Trek Fuel 70 full-suspension / 9c 2806 rear / Infineon 22a / Luna 52v 20ah Li-ion
Original A2B Metro / Ping 48v 15ah
Unbranded full-suspension folder / Bafang 24v rear / 36v 10ah LiFePO4

Post Reply