He pretend to built the "Fastest E-Bike on the planet&

Doctorbass

100 GW
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sGTB_uZdw0o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

Anyone want to beat him please! :wink:

Doc

We did discuss it a while back :wink:

I used his video to calculate his speed using the parking spaces, only came out to about 20 to 25 mph in the video. Of course a lot of my comments were deleted by him, go figure :roll:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1703

knightmb said:
We did discuss it a while back :wink:

I used his video to calculate his speed using the parking spaces, only came out to about 20 to 25 mph in the video. Of course a lot of my comments were deleted by him, go figure :roll:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1703

Fastest fibber to enter ebike ignominy, maybe.

I can think of 4 people with high power e-bikes here on the forum that could spank him in a race. If the video was titled "high power e-bike" or "fast e-bike" then hay, good for him, good for all of us. But when someone titles it "fastest e-bike in the world" that's just opening up for comments :twisted:

That's the vid I sent to Public safety and said if they were going to enforce their stipid it looks like a bike it's a bike rule of thumb that they would be encouraging this sort of thing.

no helmet...... :roll:

Ypedal said:
I got the fastest Ebike in NewBrunswick !

* Pokes lesss with a pointy stick !! :p

Speaking of pointy sticks and New Brunswick, I used to have a new Brunswick pool table. (like you wanted to know that :D )
http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/

I reckon my Ebike is quicker than that I believe I have the fastest in Tauranga

Well, I know I have the fastest Ebike in my area*(disclaimer)

* (My area is defined as that area between me and the current location of a faster Ebike. Said area is subject to change with the change in location of Said bike or bikes. If said bike is currently not moving during the same time period as my bike is in motion, then the current bike speed is used for comparison. In cases were both bikes are moving west to east concurently, the surface speed of the planet's rotation for that latitude will be factored into speed for the said bikes in all cases were said speed calculation would give the relitive advantage to my bike. However said speed factoring would not be applied if the advange is given to the subsiquint bike, and no earth-speed calculation adjustment will be appllied in east to west speed tests. Rules subject to modification if there is a volcano within my area. All rules are subject to change without prior notice and will if said rule change makes me think I'm cool, or otherwise feeds my delusions.) :D

Drunkskunk said:
* (My area is defined as that area between me and the current location of a faster Ebike. Said area is subject to change with the change in location of Said bike or bikes. If said bike is currently not moving during the same time period as my bike is in motion, then the current bike speed is used for comparison. In cases were both bikes are moving west to east concurently, the surface speed of the planet's rotation for that latitude will be factored into speed for the said bikes in all cases were said speed calculation would give the relitive advantage to my bike. However said speed factoring would not be applied if the advange is given to the subsiquint bike, and no earth-speed calculation adjustment will be appllied in east to west speed tests. Rules subject to modification if there is a volcano within my area. All rules are subject to change without prior notice and will if said rule change makes me think I'm cool, or otherwise feeds my delusions.) :D

Ah hah! Drunkskunk is a law school graduate. Very impressive. :D

Alrighty... lets see if i can clear up a few things.... I am Marc, co-creater of the said bike in the video up top, i did the welding as well as provided the etek motor and alltrax motor controller which i had lying around from the last e-bike project.

The specs on this thing are!
(4) 12v 17.5ah batteries running at 48v
alltrax motor controller
etek briggs and stratton motor

Its my friends video, so i can't comment on whether its "really" the fastest, but i do know that i could easily build a much faster one. This is just something we threw together as my friend was tired of wasting gas in his porsche. This one is pretty much way way above the limit of stress that a bicycle can take as can be shown by the 4 or so chains weve thrown, mangled derailer, broken 1 way gear on the back wheel etc...It works now, but ya really gotta go easy on it as the torque has even started to bend the angle iron motor supports and i was too lazy to weld in more supports before i left for college.

The only reliable speed information we have is when I was riding it with my gps, got up to a top speed of 57.7mph. We have most likely gone over this at some point, but its extremely scary and so we don't anymore. The bike has enough torque to kick most regular cars asses, probably not anything performance though. Speeding by vettes, bmw's and cops is very fun though.

And to all the nay-sayers, i really couldn't care less, it was a fun project with some very unexpectedly good results, other then its reliability.

Attachments

• DSC_0060 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_0060 (Medium).JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 2,562
Welcome aboard mastermarc!
All those negative comments were trolling tactics to get you into the forum. :D

57.7 mph is darn fast. I wouldn't dare do that on a bike. Next we'll have to get you fixed up with some A123 batteries.

Yeah thats a chain snapper for sure. Maybe you could put a double chain on easily. If you could fashion a belt drive on the crank you'd be set. Have fun!

As far as the chain goes, its gotta be stardard chain that fits through a regular bike derailer...we bought the highest performance SRAM chain but it didn't really last that long.

I'm at college now, so i don't do any work on the bike as my friends still using it, but if i had the time and money, we would definitley be upgrading to a123 batteries, along with a dirtbike frame or something that can actually handle the speed with safe braking. Kinda like the zero, except more power and way, way less money. A belt drive isn't entirely feasible as the concept currently is to use the front gear system to attach the motor to the rear sprocket. The motor uses the outside gear and the wheel uses the smaller gear. So it's really only 7 speed, but we found out quickly changing speeds provided minimal benefits as the highest gear just made it wheelie too easy and the lowest gear had no torque at any rpm. Also...changing gear with that kinda speed and torque is terrible for the derailer. So it sits somewhere in the middle, and goes from 0-57ish in one gear.

was doing some surfing on the forum...whatsup with this?

safe said:
:arrow: This is WHY progress is not happening in the electric bike world.

Rather than seriously thinking about how to do a "Road Racer" correctly people are doing this sort of "amateur hour" stuff with excessive power. What good is a bike like that? It can't handle. It has no range. It's not legal and never will be.

The far better approach is to stay within the more "sane" power limits of an electric bike like the 750 watt rule and then just do your best to make that work well. Once you establish a really high standard for the overall bike design at speed then you can add the extra power and gradually work your way up from there.

The big motor on the flimsy bike is doomed to kill and maim people and cast a bad image onto electric bikes and bring the heat on top of us.

Seek quality... reject short cuts... this might work, but it's a bad direction to go in... :evil:

Yeah people love checking out medicore versatile solutions. Not to say that the intention was to make this thing real fast, its just parts i had laying around and we didn't feel like spending alot on it, but the amount of attention it draws is definetly constructive, people yell at me for making noise on my moped whereas they say "wow that ebike is so cool" Any publicity is good publicity as they say.

As i would tell a cop if they pulled me over.... if youd prefer i can divert my abilities to something worthwhile, like smoking crack?

The ZERO is the real reason we don't have more ebikes/edirt bikes. Too many people trying to make 3-4grand profit off each bike, putting out a medicore and very misleading specs sheet. If i had the time and money, and welding equipment id be underselling the crap outta them, as well as posting realistic specs, not just specs derived from theoretical values. Stuff like "over 20 horsepower" is calculated by dividing the MAXIMUM battery output (not continuous) by 745.6 watts/hp. Pure bs in my mind. Same with the battery pack specs.

Just what we need, people criticizing homebrew attempts by a couple of kids with no money just because the people that CAN build real ones feel like making so much money on it that its a completely unrealistic buy.

Lowell said:
It looks interesting to me... hope to see V2 sometime with upgraded components.

That's right, then you two could race!

The majority of members on this site built their own rides from parts. Some of them (like me) are very cheap and make due with what they have lying around. The spirit of ingenuity!

What us amatuers produce has a tendency to "trickle up" to companies that want to actually produce electric rides. I suspect many of my innovations have been added to commercially produced items.

Too bad I don't make any money from it :cry:

dsc_0060_medium_148.jpg

front_fairing_update_011_202.jpg

If both of these bikes can hit 50 mph or so (which is realistic) and one can do it with a small 750 watt motor (tricked out a little) while the other needs to use 5 hp or so, then which is the better solution?

:arrow: Which is more likely to be allowed to be initially sold as a legal bicycle?

My concept is to sell something that makes going that fast "less scary" and yet restrict the power so much at the point of sale that you really can't get yourself into trouble. (making it easier to pass the legal hurdles) Then in the aftermarket area people who really want to trick out their motors could pump out more power and you end up with something that is fast, light and modified.

To take a motorcycle motor and place it onto a bicycle is obviously going to make for a fast, but horribly dangerous ride. It's just not smart... (in my opinion)

P.S: I don't think you want to run more than about 2 horspeower with a bicycle chain. That's another advantage to using a more aerodynamic approach to get your speed since you can use LESS power to get the same top speed. (so your chain won't break)

:arrow: Here's a thought...

What happens when you take my bikes frame/fork/fairings and install a PMG 132 or Etek into it? :shock:

I can almost guarantee that if my vision of a bike becomes a product one day that someone will try putting a seriously fast motor on it... (and probably become a fatality too)

Note: My spreadsheet shows a PMG 132 installed on one of my bikes using a 100 amp current limit at 48 volts will produce a top speed of 66.6 mph... hmmmmm.... :twisted:

Yeah the aerodynamic shell was next on the list right after....

oh right, everything else.

Oh did i mention the fact that we built it for my friend? I'm pretty sure i did, in fact I'm pretty sure that i NEVER mentioned mass producing a really unsafe high powered unreliable electric vehicle made from an old junky bike and some parts lying around.

:arrow: The problem: my friends porsche uses up too much gas
:arrow: the solution, throw together some cheap parts to make an ebike
:arrow: Result, he seems to think pretty highly of it for every day commute to work.

Seems pretty much open and shut case to me. I suggest you stop using my bike as a reference to "things that could be mass produced" because its clearly not, nor does it attempt to be. Heres a better idea, why don't you go email Bill Dube and tell him that his electric drag bike (killacycle) is stupidly powerful and unsafe (as shown in his crash video). Email the creator of the Zero and tell them that its a crappy bike for highway use and while your at it, why not criticize fighter jets because they are not easy to park in your garage. Seriously, we built this bike for our own purposes, and fulfilled them, if you want to criticize me for not fulfilling YOUR wonder-bike dream expectations, i couldn't give a shit less.

As for the "legal hurtles" i really have no idea what your talking about, or whether you have any idea what your talking about either, there already are rules for any type of road vehicle with specified amounts of break horsepower depending on electric, moped, scooter and so forth. They also vary by state.

Oh and just to put some icing on the cake. Etek 15hp motor isn't quite a "motorcycle" motor. As its 15hp. The most it will ever be is a good dirt bike motor, it's never going to be capable of real motorcycle speeds (over 100).

safe said:
:arrow: Which is more likely to be allowed to be initially sold as a legal bicycle?
Well, you do intend on adding pedals right? :wink:

Depends on where you sell it. Some states limit the e-bike to 20 mph (how insane, my bike club does 30 MPH everywhere, people power). You would have to speed limit it for those states, but I have to say, the picture you have it nice. It could easily become a nice electric motorcycle with the right motor and batteries :twisted:

Back