Building E-bike with E-backpack

Karl

100 W
Here it is. I am officially starting my build. The bike will be the one below. purchased for 200 canadian dollars.
I have a 4km commute as of now, and 13km commute next year.

6s83gp.jpg

The project is rather special because the complexity will be to hide most compoments to make it look like a normal pedal bike.

dqt3sn.jpg

Here's the project.

travel 50KMh or faster for 20km. While having an E-bike invisible to most eyes.

The motor hub - I am still unsure to use Rear or Front wheel motor hub.
No hills. I figured it will be better to use rear since it's more hidden.

The controller - It will be bolted on the rear wheel rack. (where most places the batteries and controller)
Where most places the batteries and controller.

The batteries - They will be safely tied and hidden in my backpack.
Lithium Polymer for a 18s2p configuration.

The Cycler's analyst - It will be wired in the backpack (If possible) and I will take it out before a trip and take in back in the pack after the trip.

Feel free to post comments I will be posting pics as I receive the compoments in my mail.

This is the backpack Im looking forward to

2nv9ls4.jpg

and heres a video of the Stealth backpack
[youtube]uAtSH0T14-A[/youtube]

grindz145 said:
Looks nice, what size packs are you using in the 18s2p config (5000mAh?)

Yes 5000mah Im just scared that the backpack wont fit 6 packs lol

i dont think it will fit in that backpack in youtube video. Unless you dare test it and show us!! :lol:

I will test it lol if it doesnt fit its going to be a chrismas present for girlfriend :D dont tell tho

Nice build! I dont think it will be very practical to install the cycle analyst on every ride though.

it's my english im sorry. when I meant installing everytime I mean since its going to be wired in my backpack (where the batteries will be) I will take it out of the side backpack pocket with an extention cord and clip it into my handle bar... so it doesnt stay on the bike

On a side note: I just purchased the backpack I just hope 6 of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8582
will fit in the backpack posted ?????

Or should I get 4 of these? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11037

2090wzo.jpg

2w22erm.jpg

here's the battery tray made out of foam that will directly slide in the backpack

They will be smaller than you think. I can cover 5s 10 ah with my hand.

Great looking backpack but not sure if I would ride through Times Square wearing something like that loaded with Lipo packs and wiring? I'm nervous just using two bags hanging over the top bar with wires running out. if someone official ever peeked inside and saw the Lipo bricks with balance plugs in this day and age it would create a great deal of suspicion?

Anyway, I dig your idea but just wanted to point out a couple things I've "noticed" running around metro areas with this stuff.

Here's some photos of my battery carrying setup:

FSBike.JPG

These weatherproof bags slip on/off easily and can hold 20Ah Lipo. Total 12qty 5S Lipo bricks when fully loaded. My normal commute only requires 5-6Ah so, in order to save weight I generally run around with only 6qty 5S bricks. In this configuration I use old Lipo boxes to fill the unused space.

FSBikeTop.JPG

It might seem to interfere with pedaling but it's really not that wide and I never have any pedaling issues.

Peeking inside it would probably seem a little suspicious:

FSBikeTop2.JPG

Here's 15s2p 10Ah pack(s) so you can see the series connectors and idea of size - my hands are large but you can get an idea of scale.

You're gonna have a good time, enjoy!

dogman said:
They will be smaller than you think. I can cover 5s 10 ah with my hand.

WOW you got huge hands ahah seriously thats why I am waiting to receive the backpack before purchasing the foam. After purchasing the foam, I will purchase the batteries.. Anybody got a soupon code I can use? 400$ for 4 packs seems rather expansive.
I just noticed my Hyperion Duo3 charger can only charge 1 10s pack at the time :( that really sucks! I was sure I could charge 2 at the time...

Anyways I picked up my bike yesturday and my backpack is on its way. I will start shopping for a heavy duty foam today.

I am done with the battery wirings. I wonder why so much people saying its many wires... I doesn't look too bad

2hrmyro.jpg

I don't know what sources you have for heavy duty foam where you live, but the foam which you can get for laying your sleeping bag on camping is good closed-cell stuff (it's even at WalMart), I use it for the inside of musical instrument cases. It's only 1/2 inch thick, though, so you might have to glue pieces together for your case.

Just FYI,

Cameron

oldpiper said:
I don't know what sources you have for heavy duty foam where you live, but the foam which you can get for laying your sleeping bag on camping is good closed-cell stuff (it's even at WalMart), I use it for the inside of musical instrument cases. It's only 1/2 inch thick, though, so you might have to glue pieces together for your case.

Just FYI,

Cameron

Ok I will take a look at lunch. Since I have no comments on the build is it because it's looking good?

Karl said:
Here it is. I am officially starting my build. The bike will be the one below. purchased for 200 canadian dollars.
I have a 4km commute as of now, and 13km commute next year.

The project is rather special because the complexity will be to hide most compoments to make it look like a normal pedal bike.

Here's the project.

travel 50KMh or faster for 20km. While having an E-bike invisible to most eyes.

The motor hub - I am still unsure to use Rear or Front wheel motor hub.
No hills. I figured it will be better to use rear since it's more hidden.

The controller - It will be bolted on the rear wheel rack. (where most places the batteries and controller)
Where most places the batteries and controller.

The batteries - They will be safely tied and hidden in my backpack.
Lithium Polymer for a 18s2p configuration.

The Cycler's analyst - It will be wired in the backpack (If possible) and I will take it out before a trip and take in back in the pack after the trip.

Feel free to post comments I will be posting pics as I receive the compoments in my mail.

Karl said:
Since I have no comments on the build is it because it's looking good?

Alright. Some un-sugar coated answers.

Well, there's plenty of comments, but you have several threads running.

For 50km or faster, Thats not an appropriate frame. you need a full suspension bike for that.

The Hub. with that aluminum front shock, only a rear mounted hub would work, unless you have access to a machine shop.

The controller is fine, but you'll need one modified to run at the power levels you want.

The backpack is still a bad idea. what are you going to do if/when the lipo catch fire? you're running enough voltage to kill you, and enough potential for a fire to burn you alive before you could unhook the straps. the chances of trouble are small, but wires brake, cells are sometimes defective, shyt happens, most of it without warning

ebikes.ca sells a triangle bag. I use it and can fit 6 5s 5000ma pack in there. it will fit in the triangle of your frame, and is only 2 inches wide. in a 15s configuration, most controllers can handle it stock. (but that is pushing them to the limit at 63V fully charged)

The Cycle analyst... by putting it in the backpack you're removing it from any real function. you could mount it next to the controller. or you could mount it on the handlebars were it will look like a bike computer if anyone. If all you want is a way to count the watts used, then you could save $100 and hook a watts up meter to the battery. There's also the problem of the wires. the connectors aren't ment to be used repeatedly like that. and the tiny wires will eventyualy break. Since you have throttle controll tied in to the CA, you realy don't want something shorting out with the wires on that.

Drunkskunk said:
For 50km or faster, Thats not an appropriate frame. you need a full suspension bike for that.
Really? even if im doing onroad only? damn it so you mean I wasted 200$?
Drunkskunk said:
The Hub. with that aluminum front shock, only a rear mounted hub would work, unless you have access to a machine shop.
I hear ya, I will go with rear for sure.
Drunkskunk said:
The controller is fine, but you'll need one modified to run at the power levels you want.
Yes, I got one customize by lyen.
Drunkskunk said:
The backpack is still a bad idea. what are you going to do if/when the lipo catch fire? you're running enough voltage to kill you, and enough potential for a fire to burn you alive before you could unhook the straps. the chances of trouble are small, but wires brake, cells are sometimes defective, shyt happens, most of it without warning

I totally agree with you, It was one of my main consern. I got to say that I feel much better since they will be individually wraped in lipo sac's and secured in styrofoam slots in the backpack. Will that save my life? I hope so.

as for the cycler's analyst I might have to remove it but I would really like the option of clipping it on and off.

Thank you for your feedback
Karl

I just received my 4.0mm Hyperion connectors and they look rather small to be rated at 100AMP. My question is: is that enough?

74v nominal and 84v hot

Also another question. How big of wiring should I need? 12, 10 or 8 gauge
on The american's wiring table shows that
8 - 73AMP
10 - 55AMP
12 - 41AMP

How much continuous AMP's are you guys using?

[youtube]?v=7y-eUVw1l1M&feature=related[/youtube]

he did it before me LOL

s3huky.jpg

I found the foam
2nt8b3t.jpg

my new Hyperion Duo3 charger
fz8011.jpg

2usj4h3.jpg

qsl8oz.jpg

Can I drill the frame to wire the bike?
2exn7sp.jpg

My home made 20AMP power supply
2zovprq.jpg

The bike came with a 8 gear cassette. Can I keep it with a 9c motor hub?
w7hshw.jpg

Should I change the tires to on-road?

I'm scared to put lipo in a backpack too. A better pack to wear might be a messenger bag that can be flung off one shoulder. Or even ( since you are getting a frock motor :lol: ) a fanny pack that can be unclipped quickly from around you waist. I like that frame, bumps at 50 KMH on a hardtail will jar your fillings loose, a thudbuster seatpost would be a wise investment if you stick with the bike, but that's an extra $100, so maybe a cheap full suspension might be a better route.

Another option, if you stick with the hardtail with rear rack you might be able to buy a pack that turns into a backpack, then you could take everything with you including the controller. I am not really understanding how hiding the batteries in the pack will help it be stealth if you still have the controller on a rack. :?

Definately go with street tires, alot of guys swear by Scwalbe Big Apples, maxxis Hookworms or my favorite is the Maxxis Holy Rollers.

Good luck with the build, I always like to see how guys go stealth.

I love the idea of stealth, but nothing stealth about a 9c motor even on the rear. Realllly nothing stealth about a 40 mph bike.

Thats not a waste of $200. Its a good frame for a sub 40kph bike. Just about Ideal.
Its just not going to handle faster speeds. at 40kph it will be a rough ride. at 50kph, the back wheel won't stay on the road over bumps.

Karl said:
Can I drill the frame to wire the bike?

Sure, if you do it in a way that doesn't weaken the frame. But it appears that the bike's chode, that piece between the bottom bracket and the lower chain stays, is cast or forged, and you won't be able to run wires through that to get to the motor.

Karl said:
The bike came with a 8 gear cassette. Can I keep it with a 9c motor hub?

Nope. Hub motors use Freewheels. the biggest you can fit on the 9c is a 6 speed, or a 7 speed if you're lucky and modify it a little. You'll also need to change out your derailer, shifter, and chain

Change the derailleur? or can I just re-ajust it? god damn I bought this bike because of the quality parts :(

As for the wires through the frame I will go by the top part where its all hallow.

The controller has a new hidden spot. I will show you one installed :D

Here's some photos of my battery carrying setup:

These weatherproof bags slip on/off easily and can hold 20Ah Lipo. Total 12qty 5S Lipo bricks when fully loaded. My normal commute only requires 5-6Ah so, in order to save weight I generally run around with only 6qty 5S bricks. In this configuration I use old Lipo boxes to fill the unused space.
Those bags look really professional like they were custom made for the bike! Great classy job.
otherDoc

Back