Magicshine SSC-p7 vs mr16 cheapie

Hello All,

I have 3 ebikes, 2 commuters and one suspension bush basher. Both commuter's have front and rear lights.
One has a magicshine p7 and the other has this new cheapie mr16 type globe in that I found on ebay (8 bucks delivered)..mr16 4w.jpg

I had a couple of old unused cheap car spotlights that came with mr16 50 watt halogen lights.
You can pick them up at supercheap auto for 30 bucks a pair or probably cheaper off the net. Or really any kind of light fitting that takes mr16 bulbs and is reasonably watertight will do.
Took about 1 minute to change out the halogen for the led.4watts.jpgheadlamp.jpg

I wasn't expecting much from the cheap led but it surprised me with my "driveway test"..
First the p7ssc-p7.JPG
Then the cheap 4 watter ..el cheapo 4 watter.jpg

I was quite surprised at the bang for the buck of the cheap 4 watter.

I'm thinking of mounting 2 (for a total usage of 8 watts :lol: ) of them beside each other 1 facing down and the other up slightly, I'll take some more pics when it's set up

You'd still need a 12v dc converter (maybe Lyen) and the actual light fitting + a switch, but for me it works out cheaper than the $70 or so to get another p7 lighhthead delivered and is more secure on the bike.

Hi,

May be it just me but you P7 seems to be in "low" mode, normally P7 at 1800 Lumens has more "lightning" then the pictures i saw in this tread.

Good day!
Black Arrow

The p7 does look a bit like its on low, but its not.
I'll take another pic with it on low for comparison tomorrow.
I thought the p7 was manufacturer rated @ 900 Lm but was more like 500 Lm in reality. but I could be wrong.

The cheapie led is 4 x 1watt and 260 lm or so, according to the ad.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MR16-White-4-LED-Spot-Light-Bulb-Lamp-Spotlight-4W-4-1W-/180589671896?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item2a0bfbb5d8

edit: I don't know if it's my lousy photography but that pic dosen't do the p7 justice, it did seem brighter than that to my naked eye. But my point was how good these 8 dollar leds are, there seem to be tons of sellers with them.

thewmatusmoloki said:
The p7 does look a bit like its on low, but its not.
I can take another pic with it on low for comparison.
I thought the p7 was manufacturer rated @ 900 Lm but was more like 500 Lm in reality

No you right sorry is 900 Lumens i have (2) 900 Lumens flashlight and i just add both of them for 1800 Lumens in my head, I apologies but is true that your P7 seems to be at around 400 or 500 Lumens on this picture.
:?

I have ride with 20 Watts halogen head lamps and P7 as more lightning normally then a single 20 Watts halogen, this why that's it's looking strange to me, intriguing indeed.

Good day!
Black Arrow

Some of the discrepancy may be explained by this:

Exif data:

P7
Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot A1100 IS
Image Date: 2010:11:20 21:32:42
Focal Length: 6.2mm
Aperture: f/2.7
Exposure Time: 0.300 s (1/3)
ISO equiv: 400
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB

4W
Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot A1100 IS
Image Date: 2010:11:20 21:31:59
Focal Length: 6.2mm
Aperture: f/2.7
Exposure Time: 0.600 s
ISO equiv: 400
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB

AHA, so it WAS my crappy photography. :oops: :lol: Sorry about that.
In my defense , I just got the camera and not knowing anything about photography, just had it on auto with the flash turned off.

I notice the difference in exposure times, thanks for pointing that out Eclu Lardbut.

thewmatusmoloki said:
In my defense , I just got the camera and not knowing anything about photography, just had it on auto with the flash turned off.

I notice the difference in exposure times, thanks for pointing that out Eclu Lardbut.

I really don't know what can cause this but if this light are brighter and you are really happy with them for me is the important point, thank for sharing your experiences is cool to see that we have another way for lighting. :wink:

Good day!
Black Arrow

BlackArrow said:
thewmatusmoloki said:

I really don't know what can cause this but if this light are brighter and you are really happy with tem for me is the important point and the rest is totally futile, thank for sharing your experiences is cool to see that we have another way for lighting.

Good day!
Black Arrow
Yeah! me too. Will you guys stay on-topic please and stop wasting space and time with your totally unrelated discussions. :wink:
Hang on, the last post was a bit futile too, for me anyway.
Well whadiya know, it turns out this post doesn't really add anything either, sorry 'bout that viewers.
Ok then, hey Matt, which would you say has the smallest angle/narrowest beam, it looks like maybe the 4w does but a bit hard to tell due to the differing exposu, damn, there we go again wandering off-topic.
:p

Hi All.
Been a member here since 9/08 and a lurker for a year before that. (and into happytime motor's for 6 years before that)
In all that time this is the first thread I've ever started, so I was bound to stuff something up. Apologies.
I sure don't mean to cause trouble.

Oldhaq,
The p7 is as bright at least as the other light to the naked eye and has a narrower beam with alot more "throw".
The 4 watt light spreads out more and dosen't go as far, but having said that, I'm still really happy with the amount of light. (and I'm fussy)
I reckon 2 of them would be very bright indeed.
I ordered 2 more of these 4 watt globes for $11 so I'll keep you posted.

He was kidding. Lights are a common topic on the 'sphere, you did just fine. Very interesting findings in fact. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I'll be curious to see your further experiments!

Katou

I have a good reference fo you guys.

picture 4W cheapy led same as mr16

2LED4x1W.jpg

and my MC-E 700lumens powerled

2MC-ELED.jpg

both pictures are taken with a Canon 450D with he same exposure ,ISO Aperture values

Hi thewmatusmoloki,

I'm sorry i have corrected my post i do not want to offend anyone i apologize, I'm happy to see that this light works its interesting keeps posting.

Good day!
Black Arrow

Hey, no worries Blackarrow. :D

You didn't offend me at all and I was actually pretty happy that at least someone responded to my thread (cheers too Grindz145, Oldhaq).

Mr. Mr Kang, are you sure you're using the same globe that I am, my results seem much more optomistic to my eye in real life than your pictures seem to convey with the 4 watt. No offence and with all due respect (I enjoy reading your interesting post's).

I wonder if the output from the p7 LED drops off after some use, I don't know anything about LED age vs output. I've been using mine for over a year now on high beam.

thewmatusmoloki said:
Hey, no worries Blackarrow. :D

You didn't offend me at all and I was actually pretty happy that at least someone responded to my thread (cheers too Grindz145, Oldhaq).

Mr. Mr Kang, are you sure you're using the same globe that I am, my results seem much more optomistic to my eye in real life than your pictures seem to convey with the 4 watt. No offence and with all due respect (I enjoy reading your interesting post's).

I wonder if the output from the p7 LED drops off after some use, I don't know anything about LED age vs output. I've been using mine for over a year now on high beam.

I bought those MR16 at dealextreme 8.02$ a piece http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30208
sku_30208_1.jpg

If you power your p7 with the normal current of 350 or 700ma and give it sufficient cooling then it will last as stated it the specs.
I use 2 MC-E leds which are connected in series and then powered by a DX buck convertor. it is powered through my 4S lipo and it gives 1A to both leds.

The MR16 are good for riding in streets with lights above you. but wen you drive completely in the dark..than they are insufficient...at least for me they are.

Thanks MrKang , you sure do know your lights. :) (respect)

My first bike light was in 1977 with a tiny dynamo generator (sidewall) and 3 watt tungsten bulb. Then over the years came a series of useless battery bike lights which were all i could get for a long time,d cells, c cells, same old tungten globes that would fail when you needed them the most.
Lights for bicycle's have sure come a long way since then.

Compared to that light this cheap 4 watt LED is simply astounding (to me). Anyway I'm gonna mount 2 of these light's on my bike and see what happens. :eek:

Cheers

There are heaps of these - ebay link? (I'm also in Aus and was using those supercheap MR16 holders with 20W 15 degree halogens) Narrow angle and cool white would be best for cycling.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MR16-White-4-LED-Spot-Light-Bulb-Lamp-Spotlight-4W-4-1W-/180589671896?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item2a0bfbb5d8

Yeah, I was using a 20 watt 36 deg. brilliantline halogen. These are brighter and whiter.

Here's a cool watertight cheapo fixture option: "The pond-scum light conversion"

The light fixture: $5 from Harbor freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/20-watt-submersible-spotlight-47604.html

The conversion process for bike lighting:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=245737&highlight=Pond+Scum+light

Thanks for the link. BOOKMARKED! Nice bang buck DYI pond-scum light conversion

joe tomten said:
Here's a cool watertight cheapo fixture option: "The pond-scum light conversion"

The light fixture: $5 from Harbor freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/20-watt-submersible-spotlight-47604.html

The conversion process for bike lighting:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=245737&highlight=Pond+Scum+light

Nice one Joe. That light's name is really sticking in my head, how could anyone forget a light called "pond scum". :lol: I like it !

That reminds me of a light I made for a friend of mine a couple of years ago. He wanted something a bit flash looking.
I just got hold of one of those cheap, chrome, bullet shaped dynamo lights, (not sure if you can still get them)light1.jpg

I just pulled out the flashlight bulb holder (easy) and was quite surprised to find that the MR16 ceramic globe holder fit into place like it grew there or something, dab of silicon to hold it even tighter, add a 20 watt halogen and done. Its still going 2 years later, bit of corrosion forming on the chrome now though.......light3.jpglight4.jpg

Thanks - I'll make up a buck converter for them I think...

Back