Who's Crazy enough to get an Optibike?

I just came across the Optibike website. http://optibike.com/

For a bike who's specs match my bike with a 500 dollar conversion kit their e-bike is $9.000 - That's Nine Thousand dollars (Helia model). The cheapest model is 6 thousand and their most expensive with only an 850 watt motor is 11 thousand dollars! My Motor is rated at 750 watts.

And oh sure you can get a used one from them.. for only 3 thousand dollars!

Are these people out of their minds?

I wanna know.. who buys these.. and when was the last time they had their head examined?

What am I missing here? Where is the justification for these prices?

It's not made of Gold.. it won't scrub my back or cook me breakfast - in fact.. it will not do anything my cheap kit won't do and I only spent a total of 636.00 dollars including a new bike. My e-bike kit has twice the warranty ! For so much money, they only warrant for 90 days!

So.. what gives here? I just don't understand this at all.

For some, 9k on a bike is like buying a cup of coffee for you and I.
If the difference between spending 600 or 9k means spending 1-2 less free days to build it, then its worth the $8400 difference in price.

"Each Optibike is hand built in Boulder, CO USA". There's your problem. If it had said "Each Optibike is robot built in Shanghai to our design", it would have been 1/3 the price.

Hi,

Electric Rider said:
I just came across the Optibike website. http://optibike.com/

The cheapest model is 6 thousand and their most expensive with only an 850 watt motor is 11 thousand dollars! My Motor is rated at 750 watts.
Their most expensive model uses an 850 watt motor driving through a Rohloff hub (a $1,200 item). It will absolutely run rings around your 750 watt hub motored ebike (Gary said he gets better performance with 2800 watts driving through a 3 speed than a 5,000 watt hub motor setup.

Electric Rider said:
Are these people out of their minds?

I wanna know.. who buys these.. and when was the last time they had their head examined?

So.. what gives here? I just don't understand this at all.
Many pedal powered bikes sell for more. They appear to be making a good living doing something they enjoy doing how are they out of their minds?

But personally, to some extent I agree with you. For $3k I'd consider one. For $12k no way!

Yep, bikes are like cameras, you can find stuff as expensive as you want it. And you can tell the difference in quality. So if your christmas bonus last year was one mil, and you want to ride around Aspen looking green, why not? But the rest of us wage slaves are perfectly happy with a $100 digital camera, and save money getting to work using a $1000 ebike.

Hi,

I have done many criticisms against Optibike in the past. But after that I have build many ebike or electric motocross. I can say that have spent more money then this price tag and my labour is not incude in this calculation.

None of my previous build fits my need, the Optibike is the right choice for a reliable ebike in my opinion for exploring trails, bicycle path with great efficiency and like that i didn't look, like another ebike.

At Pikes Peak climb no others ebikes or power full ebikes versions was able to cross the finish line, but (2) Optibike was able to do it with a "single charge".

Good day!
Black Arrow

They are a nice bike, attractive, deceptively powerful, and utterly bereft of the ridiculous wires and looms that the rest of us are burdened with.

I still say nothing compares to the heavy duty stuff some of us are knocking out.

Thanks guys. I also got this from someone on another e-bike forum:

Un-Named Said " I test rode the 850xli. I can’t find it now however I read on their web site the bike alone without the electric system would cost somewhere around $6,500. On the 850xli the 14 speed nuvinci hub is a $1,700 item. Looking at the heavy duty package the wheels run $749.

The motor runs thru the bottom bracket. It has torque in the bottom end that can’t be compared to a hub motor. The most powerful hub motor I have ridden is a E+electric 1,000 watt motor. At slow speeds from let’s say around 10mph or less the Opti bike has the pull. Over around 15mph the speed and power maybe roughly the same as the 1,000 watt E+electric bike I rode.

I like hub motors for their smooth simplicity. The power is just not there for hills compared to a motor that runs thru the 14 speed nuvinci hub. Also it would be hard to compare a hub kit unless you added it to a $6,500 bike to start with. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, now I see the type of parts they use and why - Torque is King with this bike built for uphill on rough terrain. If it's not any better than a standard 1000 watt over 15 mph, then it's not for street folks. For them it is just a waste of money.

I still cannot see a 6,500 dollar frame. A frame is steel or some composite welded together. For the small amount of material used to make a bike frame this still sounds like a really high price. Perhaps someone can tell me.. what is so special about the frame's materials that make them so costly?

Hi,
Electric Rider said:
Thanks guys. I also got this from someone on another e-bike forum:

Un-Named Said " I test rode the 850xli. I can’t find it now however I read on their web site the bike alone without the electric system would cost somewhere around $6,500. Also it would be hard to compare a hub kit unless you added it to a $6,500 bike to start with. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, now I see the type of parts they use and why - Torque is King with this bike built for uphill on rough terrain. If it's not any better than a standard 1000 watt over 15 mph, then it's not for street folks. For them it is just a waste of money.

I still cannot see a 6,500 dollar frame. A frame is steel or some composite welded together. For the small amount of material used to make a bike frame this still sounds like a really high price. Perhaps someone can tell me.. what is so special about the frame's materials that make them so costly?
Its also good for street use if you have steep hills or like good low speed acceleration.

Where did you get a "6,500 dollar frame"? They meant the entire bike (suspension, wheels, hydraulic disc brakes, Rohloff Hub [not Nuvinci] excluding the electronics would sell for 6,500 dollars. The frame is a big part of the cost because its a highly custom, low volume item.

Also a big part of the cost is that for a low volume item you need a higher profit margin to earn a living. Their cost per $12k bike including electronics is probably about $4k or $5k but they have substantial overhead to cover.

EDIT ADDITION:
Electric Rider said:
n fact.. it will not do anything my cheap kit won't do and I only spent a total of 636.00 dollars including a new bike.
One example is their bikes use $800 forks and $250 (for the pair) hydraulic disc brakes.

Wait until you hit a pot hole at 20mph or need to stop in a hurry and see if your bike does everything the Optibike will do.

speaking of the stealth bomber, what do you think of the stealth bomber, worth the money?

I'd never own an Optibike. Y frame bikes went out of style a decade ago, and I wouldn't pay good money for a new one. And from all the videos I've seen, the motor is louder than I would tollerate in a high end bike.
But the bike is probably worth what they are asking for it. They went first class on the parts list. I can't realy fault the bike for anything other than I just don't like it.

The Bomber on the other hand.. yeah, I'd buy one. No question. Its on my "When I win the lottery" list

45 miles, 30mph, and 60Lb's is pretty dang good! But wow I saw the price and would never pay $9000 for a new one, not even a $6000 used one. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think they should be priced around $4000 new. :mrgreen:

I won't be buying one though, even at 4k thats too much for me! :mrgreen:

Electric Rider said:
It's not made of Gold..

umm...beg pardon, but actually it is.
at least it was last year.
whalePENIS.JPG
i would have bought one if only it had come with a whale penis leather bicycle seat. :roll:
they're probably holding back that ace in the hole for when sales drop off & need to lure back their target audience.
so cozy & supple, it would be like humping a humpback with the buzz of the motor going on between your legs.
ad copy along the lines of 'you've heard of the EV-Grin. now try the Opti-Grin!'.
but sounds as tho u haven't heard of the uber stoopid expensive CHURmunn Bauhaus chic Grace or Blacktrail?
all of them worthy of the Whale Penis Award.

Craig Taber (nee Weakley) said:
Here is the official PR:

23ct Gold Plated $13,995 Optibike OB1 electric bike hits the streets

Boulder, CO, May 29, 2009; The American made Optibike OB1 electric
bike hits the streets today, with only 24 available in 2009.

“We have customers all over the world who pre-ordered and will be
taking delivery starting next week. So far, 2 of 24 have been
delivered. One went to a Swiss buyer, and one to NFL Superstar
DeMarcus Ware. The rest of the customers in wait are an equally
impressive bunch.” says Craig Weakley, Marketing Director.

A handful of 2009 OB1’s are still available.

The Optibike OB1 is equipped with the absolute best cycling
components: Carbon fiber handlebars, Patented PDA interface with GPS,
oversized Avid Code hydraulic brakes, and front and rear Fox
suspension all rolling on the brand new Crank Brothers Iodine wheels.

Outfitted the largest, and lightest battery offered in an electric
bike with a nearly 1 hour ride time at full speed or 2.25 hours in
“eco” mode, the Optibike OB1 sets the bar high for electric bikes.
The comparatively low power Eco mode on the OB1 has a higher output
than most imported electric bikes have at full power. Top speed is
34+ mph.

Each OB1 features a fully custom paint job by the world-renowned
custom motorcycle painters at Gunslinger Custom Paint. The paint
scheme includes a 23ct gold foil inlay with individually unique pin
striping. Customers have an option of 4 color schemes: red, blue,
green or silver.

The OB1 is the signature model of award winning electric bike designer
and former champion motocross racer Jim Turner. One of Mr. Turners
2008 Optibike OB1’s is currently on exhibit in the California Academy
of Sciences touted as “The Future of Transportation.”

Optibike designs and manufactures electric bicycles in Boulder,
Colorado USA from exclusively American made custom parts and has been
doing so since 1997. Optibike offers electric bikes specifically
designed to meet the needs of the American market that include a
Commuter Series, Pro Series, and Women Specific electric bikes in
addition to the Limited Edition Optibike OB1. For more information
visit http://www.optibike.com

Craig Weakley
Marketing Director
Optibike LLC
Craig at Optibike dot com
Office: 303.443.0932 x201

Electric Rider said:
I wanna know.. who buys these..
so now u know;
NFL Superstar
DeMarcus Ware.
Electric Rider said:
and when was the last time they had their head examined?
you'll haveta axe him that urself.
i forwarded him an email of ur question. :D

but if u really want to know the answer go check out the Optibike forum.

in short they are latest incarnation of cyclista poseurs, the eLycra.

Craig Taber said:
The Optibike USV is a stellar value at $5995- custom fit,
brand name high-end components, a 13ah NiMh battery, and a 500w
motor. That bike IS a couple of thousand cheaper than the other
Optibike models....and I have yet to sell one this year.

chrisvw said:
The downside of that custom frame is a lack of sizes. Their largest frame size is too small for my (6'6") body.

I found the bike for you.....

panzer-bike-333.jpg

chrisvw said:
The downside of that custom frame is a lack of sizes. Their largest frame size is too small for my (6'6") body.
Damn you're tall, how much is this in meters?

Hey, I just won an Optibike polo shirt from their Facebook posting!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Optibike-Electric-Bicycle-Company/415785803676

Ambrose

:D

As the Mastercard commercial says: Priceless!

Ambrose

Beetlebike said:
Most people will never own a Ferrari either, and some trick out their car to put equivalent HP on the road.
I think the Optibike and its drivetrain is a great invention :D I am a bit hesitant about its Cobalt battery technology, but then again some people drive around with NITRO :twisted:

The Optibike is in a class of its own and it looks like it is here to stay. I wouldn't be surprised if these models turn up in Tech Musea someday.

Go Scuderia OPTIBIKE !!

woot, a 4-banger ferrari.

Bike_On said:
I cannot maintain 25mph - unassisted - on my OPti. I have done a few
no-pedal, ride-home commutes, where I only spinned the cranks to help
shift gears. I averaged about 22-23mph in WARM weather, bike
clothing, and using my aerobars. Basically, my battery sag is too
much, so the average power is less, and is not enough to haul my 175lb
weight that fast. If my battery was 39V+ and stiff for 12-14 ahrs,
then I would see a constant 800-850W and see those speeds.

if optibike supposedly represents some sort of ultimate in ebikes then why, from the begining, the same 2 persistant complaints from optibike owners about the noise & the lack of power??

pls remember that when optibike was originally introduced the claim was made that it could do with 400 Watts thru the BB what it took a hubmotor 750W.
(still their slogan on opti t-shirts,"Twice the speed, half the power").
since then, the motor power level has been increased on almost on a yearly basis to try & keep their customers happy.
currently it has risen beyond the legal ebike limit, taking it to 850 Watts as the tiny BB motor has been stroked to within an inch of it's life with even oil cooling to help squeeze out 50 more Watts.

yet it's still not enuf!
what ever happened to that mythical gearing dividend so that no one is even remotely interested in buying the 600 Watt model (see above quote by Craig T.)
it's still a ferrari, right?
then why no takers??
because it's nothing more than a dressed-up hyped-up 4-cylinder Fiat.

no way is optibike a ferrari.

except in price.
"half the speed, twice the dollars"

Back