1 day pass-the-hat for Naeem, the most hardcore Ebike ever.

Ok, it's 11pm here on Thursday night in California. After work tomorrow (around 7pm-ish) I'm going to send the Western Union money gram to Pakistan. I'm pretty excitedly looking forward to it, it's going to feel great to do something with so much positive impact.

We have a man on our forum named Naeem. He has inspired me. This is Naeem and his work. Yes, that's a toyota radiator fan motor re-wound, and a DIY controller made from available parts, and a functional many-stage reduction made from the materials he could afford.
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

My goal, is to return the inspiration his work gave me, but in a form I'm best suited to offering as a fairly well-off westerner, money.
Paypal doesn't offer it's services in Pakistan, only Western Union does. They are kinda a PITA to send with fees and forms etc.

So, for folks who feel the desire to return something to man who may have also brought inspiration into their own life, I'm doing a 1-day collection for Naeem with my paypal acct (so it's effortless and fee-free for folks to send money for him), and then sending it all via-Western-Union to him on Friday after work.

What do you expect in return for the money if you donate? Nothing. If I think you expect something, I will return your payment. If he just disappears with out as much as a 'thanks', that's fine. He has all ready done more with nothing than I ever could have expected. Judging from past history though... I expect you will see each dollar stretched to give amazing results, and I personally can't wait to see them.

If you wish to get in on this, paypal the following email address by before 7pm on Friday, 1/7/11.
Liveforphysics@yahoo.com

Make it a "gift" and put "Naeem" and your username (unless you wish to be anonymous) in the subject box.

If you want to get in on this, do it by tomorrow, or send your own western union money-gram (I can give you his info if you want to do that).
So far, this is where we are at:

Liveforphysics $XXX
Gordo $50
Daveroya $40
JohninCR $50 (donated from my pocket because i know you would if paypal wasn't such a bitch for your situation)
Amberwolf $50 (donated from my pocket because i know you would if you could)
MadRhino $24
Jeremy Harris $50
Philistine $20
Gregory $10
Michaelplogue $200 Woot!
Voicecoils $25
Thud $50
Miles $50
Stephan $25
Icewrench $50
Bjorn Stahlnacke $50
Julesa $50
Drunkskunk $50
Howard $50
Mitch $20
Nicobie $50
x88x $25
Tiberius $50
Damcard $20
Ypedal $30
Katou $20
Yopapamon $50
Dingotookmybaby $20
Pedalingbiped $20
Docnjoj $50
Aussiejester $25
Zenon $50
JonesCG $20
Dontsendbubbamail $50
Abe $20
RacerX $20
Mark-Eh $20
Floatingdog $100 Woot!
E-Ticket $20
velmis1450bc $10

I think this list is updated and correct now? If i missed anyone, please PM me and I will add you.

I'm pretty damn excited about this.

moneyr.jpg

wuname.jpg

Updated

Very good idea! :D

I'm not here long enough to know him, but I fully agree that his work should be inspiring, to any of us who have it easy to build with ready made and tested components.

I had a small unused balance in the Paypal account that I opened 3 month ago, in the sole purpose of buying everything needed to do my first build. I'm happy to put it at such good use. Best wishes to Naeem, and congrads to you Liveforphysics for this initiative. I'm curious to see what will emerge from this.

I think this is an awesome idea LFP, I have made a small contribution. Hats off to you for the initiative in getting it happening, and best wishes to Naeem in making use of it.

Hi Luke,

Great idea. I'll put in something tomorrow but maybe he'd prefer we send something he can't easily get in Pakistan?

Four ideas off the top of my head ideas:

• Cycle Analyst.

Mars motor.

Denso alternator (Miles posted the link in the Mars thread).

6 7s 5ah Lipo packs (14s/3p) and a Hyperion with meanwells.

Updated.

Sleep for me now, gotta work in the morning. Will update next around 9am. PST, and then through the day as work permits.

You guys are awesome. I'm proud to be part of this group.

Holy Cow guys! Of course, this just had to be on the day after I sent every penny I have to citibank. Bills due mostly on the 1'st yaknow.

What a great support for a great guy. Way to go!

Luke, what about using some of these funds to arrange shipment of some donated parts? I have a older style, but new 9C 9x7 rear hub and other small e-bike parts I'd be glad to donate. I wonder what the logistics of shipping to Pakistan are? UPS, Fedex, or USPS?

edit- i just realized he would need a brushless controller and throttle for the 9C- anyone want to help out?

Updated.

For the folks that want to ship him parts, I think that's great if somebody wants to prepare a box for him, and I would certainly donate some parts. However, it will have to be somebody who is a responsible packer/shipper etc, which I am not. Also, I don't know what the import dutys/fees and things are like for him to pick-up a package (which I'm sure he could use some of this money to do if needed). If somebody else wants to make a thread for starting a parts collection for Naeem, I would happily participate.

My goal right now with this thread is to simply dump a pile of cash onto Naeem bigger than he has ever seen before. :shock: :D

Edit;
Redundent :D

Great idea LFP and thanks for getting my back. BTW Moneygram is much cheaper than Western Union. I just checked and Moneygram has locations there. I would, however, go a different route because of the distinct possibility that sending cash there (other than to a family member) could land me on a list that ends up some major travel inconvenience down the road. It's not that I don't have faith in Naeem, but instead the government workers maintaining those lists. I have no problem fully exercising my freedoms, but staying below the radar typically gives one more chance to exercise them.

Naeem is likely to balk a shipping, so it may serve a benefit if we buy and ship direct to him anyway. From Cellman or someone else in China may make more sense. What about India? They must make ebikes too, yet we hear nothing other than those Hi-Koll motors, which were just some ordering screw up anyway. Also, I have a pretty good stash of stuff, so I've been waiting for him to get further along in the design plan to see what I could ship his way, though no way I would use some express method due to the silly prices.

This is awesome! I don't play paypal and don't have any extra cash right now but I do have a bunch of parts. I can get a money order for $20 to you asap but that's the best I could do as far as an immediate cash donation. The one day thing will definitely limit it for some people but I'd like to contribute in any way I can.

Things I can think of immediately are some frames I have, wheels, a nice new front hub and rim, random cranks and shifters. I don't have much extra e-bike specific stuff yet but the bike parts should help. I don't know how easy it is to get stuff over there and we have to remember that if he wants to spend the money on e-bike stuff, he'll probably spend a bunch more on shipping ordering things piece by piece. If we could get a big enough crate of parts together it might be worth it to get it over to him.

Maybe Lyen would offer his awesome packaging and shipping skills? I have never seen better.

Also, Luke, you and I may disagree on some things but your response to the terrorist comment above was awesome and the pass the hat idea is even better.

Jeremy Harris said:
Some of the very shittiest places I've ever seen have been in supposed civilised and wealthy Western countries, some of the very nicest people I've ever met have been in the very poorest countries of the world.

This has been my personal observation as well.

Lessss said:
Read the fine print on western union. They make no guarantees whatsoever that they will even attempt to send the money. The only thing they guarantee is that they'll take your money.

Methods sent him $100-200 a year back, and it worked fine. Western Union is about as legit as any money sending service on the planet.

Damn good idea LFP. $ are on their way.

As to those doubting Thomas's, Even if he doesn't get the money, at least we tried. I'll bet he will have something nice to say about the western people for the rest of his life. We could use some good PR in the far east. Our military isn't doing much good at that. :|

Also, please remember that Naeem will be reading this thread. If you don't feel like helping him out, that's OK, but for gods sake, don't insult the guy. He had no choice where he was born.

Nick

I wish we had 'like' buttons that facebook uses.

For the doubters I recommend "Three Cups of Tea" which is now required reading at the West Point military academy

I'm glad to be able to afford to donate a little to Naeem as his skills with reuse and recycling are simply amazing. I wish you well as a good citizen of the world!
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
I'm glad to be able to afford to donate a little to Naeem as his skills with reuse and recycling are simply amazing. I wish you well as a good citizen of the world!
otherDoc

Me too. :)

I did I miss yours? Maybe sending error or something Doc?

Awsome !!

I'm sending a few 8) ..

And this thread will be cleaned shortly of negativity.. fyi.

edit : ok. i cleaned up in here, sorry guys, some of the posts had to go along with it to keep the discussion relevant, you know who you are... and remember, like mamma always said, if you got nothing good to say, keep it out of this thread.

I think cash is the best gift, he can spend it on whatever he wants and/or needs !

Ypedal said:
Awsome !!

I'm sending a few 8) ..

And this thread will be cleaned shortly of negativity.. fyi.

Right on. :)

Bombs for bikes? There's hope for your conservative heart yet Luke!

I'm in for a few, check the mail.

I'd recommend NOT sending parts. His setup works for him because he can get parts, and has the technology local to fix things when they go wrong. If we send him stuff, they may not fit well, sort of like sending CD players to Africa. No electricity, no parts, no repair ability.

Katou

Tossed in a bit. I'm sure he'll get a lot more out of it than I would. ;) It really amazes me how much he's been able to do with the limited (financial) resources. I saw how much the batteries cost him, and how long he had to save for them...I'm embarrassed to say I spend more than that on food in a month.. :oops:

Keep it up Naeem, you're an inspiration to us all. :mrgreen:

Lol. Ive had weekends were I've pissed away 4-digit sums and come Monday, I couldn't recall what I had bought.

Tiberius said:
Good idea, Luke. Just sent you something.

To put it in persepctive, $50 is the size of the error on my cellphone account. Spent part of the afternoon sorting it out and got a refund.

Nick

Back