Uh Oh, I messed up

It started out as a good day. The Raymarine guy came and fixed the radar antenna on the boat and the bride and I went into town so she could grocery shop and I could stop at the local LBS. I needed a inner tube for my Cannondale which I'm selling on Ebay and a box to ship it in. Naturally the LBS (who call me "cheater" by the way" had the tube and unpacked a bike so I could have a box. Good deal and while I was waiting and looking around I found a seat for a big butt like mine so I bought it.

We completed the grocery shopping, I took my afternoon nap and tackled replacing the tube which took five minutes and next was the bike seat. It was nice, big, soft, comfy and needed installed. So I kicked up the kickstand and started to move the bike into my shop. What I didn't do was disconnect the charger. Snap, Crackle, Pop and another Snap. The female end came off, shorted the male end, shorted against itself and destroyed the connector on the bike side. The charger side "seems" OK.

Fortunately Electric Rider has a new 48 volt wiring harness in stock complete with connector, key switch and fuse holder. During the Snap, Crackle, Pop and Snap phase one of the noises came from where one of the wires contacted the key switch. It still works but has a large amount of carbon surrounding the wires.

Fortunately again Fed Ex will deliver on Friday as long as Electric Rider get them the stuff in the morning which they have promised.

So, the seat was $39.95 plus tax. The wiring harness $29.95 and another $30.00 for Fed Ex. Feeling of being stupid? Priceless!

Oh well, everything else still works and I don't need to use the bike 'till Friday anyway so all is OK. If that's the worst that happens this week the world will be a better place.

Mike (damn, I still feel stupid)

Anybody who's been doing this small EV thing for very long at all has probably done something of at least equal, if not greater stupidity.

Some months ago I forgot to turn my bike off before moving it. While dismounted, I accidentally tweaked the throttle, sending my bike crashing over the top of the scooter. Fortunately, no damage. But that easily could have been a very costly error.

From the myriad of similar stories posted here, I don't think you're quite the king of stupid yet -- if that's any consolation I don't know. :)

I left my bmx switched on inside. My boy was messing with it and grabbed a fist full of throttle that left a nice burn out mark on the carpet before it crashed. Wife loved us for that one. I've mostly got the mark out now.. :)

Back