Spoke stand..

I drilled a hole in the 4 x 4 to insert the motor axle, then screwed a piece of 2x4 to the 4x4 and screwed that to the bottom lamp table..

There are many ways to lace a wheel, but presonally i like to drop all the spokes into the hub then conect them to the rim.

One hub flange at a time, lace the spokes In / Out / In / Out.... and repead for the other flange.

Attachments

• stand2.JPG
    stand2.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,291
Your fixture seems to work OK. I like it.
I've never laced a wheel.
Do you buy special spokes for hub motors to get the correct length?
Can you get heavy guage steel spokes?
I've got a Worksman wheel (26" clincher rim) with 11ga (120mm) spokes which I'd like to lace up to replace my kit wheel.

Are you spokin, a front or rear/w dish.

5X motor and 20â€￾ rim = 77 mm
5X motor and 24â€￾ rim = 138 mm
5X motor and 26â€￾ rim = 165 mm

4X motor and 16â€￾ rim = 57 mm
4X motor and 20â€￾ rim = 106 mm
4X motor and 24â€￾ rim = 165 mm
4X motor and 26â€￾ rim = 190 mm
4X motor and 700c rim = 218 mm

This is a list i made from the parts i received from Crystalyte, the intended rims are double walled.

The motor on the stand is going to be a 408-4012 Rear wheel wih 3 speed freewheel.

I"ll start by installing the spokes with only a few threads each nipple, then take up the slack evenly, finally install the motor into the bike frame and adjust it for the brakes to center up properly.

Depending on the frame used ( how much it will flex ), you can use spacers to shift the hub to an extent and compensate for some dishing, if you opt for a 7 speed you run out of room to shim anything..

This motor is going into a single walled 30mm wide rim. I have a half dozen i need to put to the test and see how they hold up with 12 gauge spokes.

I am a big fan of the double walled rims, first they are stiffer and don't seem as fragile, and 2nd the spoke nipples are recessed into the 1st wall repventing spokes from poking your tube..

I purchased mine direct from Crystalte at the start of the season, i have a small stock of them ( i had 10 sets of each size, and am running them them fairly quickly ! lol )

If you need a set of the sizes above, they are 38 per set ( for 36 hole rims ) and cost 20 $ + shipping.

Before i start to lace, i get comfortable on the couch with a set of spokes and run each nipple thru the threads to make sure they are clean and smoth, there are usually one or 2 per set that are hard to thread and i set those aside.

When you start to tension the spokes you want consistency so that they don't " apear " tight when in fact the spokes are loose. :?

Back