Rim Brake on a Disc Rim

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
It is finally time to rotate the studs off and swap them for some new spring duds. I had wheels built out this winter for a direct swap - kinda like how I did my 4x-truck tires by having two complete sets.

Alas, I am sad to admit – I goofed and mounted a front hub to a disc rim and completely spaced that this would be a problem. The front shock can take both – so that wasn’t part of the equation. Blame it on cabin fever. :roll:

Optimistically, it looks like I can adjust the brake pads to accommodate the rim – it’s just that it is a Mavic EX 729 Disc and the front hub is a 9C 2806 which doesn’t support disc brake to the best of my knowledge.

But the Devil is inside me calling out out! Whatcha think: Should I dare? :twisted:
… or think wisely and beg off; just swap the studded tire off for a roady. :?

In truth I’d kinda hate to mare the black rim…
What's even more sad is that I've got a big fatty Hookworm mounted on it just waiting to tear-arse! :cry:

Standing in the corner, Dunce cap on, looking pitiful...
~ KF :oops:

Changing a tire is little inconvenient, compared to poor front brake. Then you can rebuild the wheel some rainy day, or search for a disc cover for the 9C.

MadRhino said:
Changing a tire is little inconvenient, compared to poor front brake. Then you can rebuild the wheel some rainy day, or search for a disc cover for the 9C.

I'd not chance it either, sure it might work, but coaster brakes "work" too. :wink:

A true disk rim wouldn't work at all with a greatly sloped edge. Does this rim have the usual flat spot for brake pads to rub? If so, screw the paint, sand it off.

If the sides of the rim have any taper at all, then you are stuck with lacing it again on another rim.

I have the Mavic EX 729 Disc/Hookworm recently mounted on the rear (sans the Hub motor); it completely changes the look and I cain’t wait to try it. I’ll swap the front stud out for a Specialized Armadillo that was there before until I can sort myself out. :roll:

One option is to snag a new rim-brake rim, de-lace the mistake and re-lace with the replacement. Boy, I spent a lot of time looking for a suitably wide rim. Personally I think the EX 729 is a bit slender for the Hookworm. Mavic also offers the EX 721 though the specs say it’s even more slender with ETRTO = 559 x 21.

Thoughts?

The hunt begins anew. KF

Back