Will this bike make me look gay?

I'm looking to purchase a second ebike. I need a bike with disc brakes and prefer a step thru design for my aging 200 lb body. I really like the IZIP Zuma but not keen for the bright red "girl" color. Why couldn't IZIP produce a neutral silver color? Will the ZUMA make me look gay? Lets be honest, 50 y/o men never look incredibly butch riding bikes and a red bike doesn't help.
http://www.izipusa.com/139-izip-zuma-womens-.html

i will be 50 this year and could care less what people think when i ride one of my many bikes.peace out

Step through frame - whatever! I rode a nice Panasonic Pedlec step-through for a couple years. Sure, some people called it a girls bike, behind my back I assume, being 6'2", 240lbs, rode HD's and had a few brawls in my day - care less what people think. Say what to my face? Didn't think so...

I am 51. I made a full-suspension longtail a while back that used clamps and plumbing fittings. It looked like rolling junk, but it didn't require a welder (which was my goal). If anyone asks, just tell them you lost your license when you were arrested for manslaughter, and the "voices" told you to get this frame. Then ask them if they want to go camping with you sometime.

If it bothers you, make some side panels that are held on by velcro (or any one of a dozen other methods), and the side panels can make it the shape of a male beach cruiser. Look at Nickobies black e-townie as an example http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23701. You can use the hidden space between the panels for batteries, gloves, granola bars, or as in my case, my pistol and my medication for Tourettes syndrome.

Edit: it doesn't matter what you do, somebody somewhere will make fun of you...you might as well be doing what you want when that happens.

139-531-large.jpg

just tell them you lost your license when you were arrested for manslaughter, and the "voices" told you to get this frame. Then ask them if they want to go camping sometime.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like when I told the local gossip, that if WE find someone trying to steal from us, WE will shoot to kill. Wife is deathly afraid of guns, but, the locals now think she is serious as I am.

NOT asking them to go camping, though. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As long as you don't wear Roadie garb I think you will be ok

Listen, rin,...for the last time...stop making fun of me! aerodynamics are important to keep my amp-draw per mile down...and I NEED comfortable shoes for medical reasons.

(spinningmagnets on an outpatient weekend leave pass, earned for good behaviour)
fat-cyclist-in-lycra.jpg

Just don't ride it if you're wearing a purple boa. :p

Seriously though, who cares? Ride what you like. It's impossible to please everyone.

I don't think that bike looks bad anyway. Looks like a comfortable beach cruiser to me. I wouldn't give it a second thought if I saw a guy riding it.

It's not that bad, there are far worse.

I'll tell you a bit about that bike though:

1. Extremely noisy disc brakes
2. Battery likes to bounce and clunk in the rear rack
3. The motor can get up to good speeds, but it doesn't have much torque.

Just my experience with it..

Rin said:
As long as you don't wear Roadie garb I think you will be ok.

Oh Rin, he will not be OK, he will read as absolutely gay on that bike, and the only way to ameliorate it is to double down. George needs to cultivate a clean mustache, ride in drag, and fasten a toothy shark banner between the two front frame tubes. The womens will all come a-runnin' to celebrate his sense of humor and all will be right with the World.

All in good fun.

In other words, George, furgitaboutit. And red isn't a girly color, it's a visibility color. Not at all a bad thing to have, man or woman.

develop a DEEP voice and dont shave....or a 2x4 with a large spike sticking out of it,strapped to your back, will discourage any comments

Hey George, If you've been riding the R12-a around for awhile then I don't think you'll have too much trouble changing to a Zuma. To me they don't look so different.

How's the R12-a holding up anyway?View attachment 1zuma.jpg
If you are happy with a bike , that's all that matters.

I would just keep my mouth shut and accept the free drinks from handsome strangers....

You have a point but at least my R 12a is a dark blue. Wish the Zuma was a more neutral color. Regarding my R Martin 12A, it held up well last summer. Logged in over 700 miles over the summer without any issues. This being Vermont, our bike seasons real short. The Martin bike is fine but is one bike ever enough???? Also, looking for a second one with disc brakes. Oh, I should also mention, I strapped Monkey lights on for added protection. They are bright but unfortunately draw a lot of attention---not always wanted attention but haven't been hit by a car yet!
http://www.monkeylectric.com/
m132s_live10.jpg

I could roll a pink sparkle bike with dicks painted all over it and still be the least gay looking guy in the SF bay area. :p

georgefromvt said:
I'm looking to purchase a second ebike. I need a bike with disc brakes and prefer a step thru design for my aging 200 lb body. I really like the IZIP Zuma but not keen for the bright red "girl" color. Why couldn't IZIP produce a neutral silver color? Will the ZUMA make me look gay? Lets be honest, 50 y/o men never look incredibly butch riding bikes and a red bike doesn't help.

:shock: Do you wish to borrow my Frock? :shock:

Got my laugh for the day. :) Knew that fat lycra pic was going to turn up again.

Having been taken for gay or female all my life, I say F em. Ride what you like. If you don't like the color, spray it a nice manly cammo pattern.

I guess the most gay I ever looked was when driving around hollywood in my wifes Ford Falcon, that I'd painted a nice purple color. So we could talk better, we were sitting with me and my brother up front, and the wives in back. Yep. that really did look gay.

georgefromvt said:

Yeaa.. its a little..well Gay.

You need ->
15072010093-1.jpg

Proper Butch & Bling! :twisted:
Erm...intellectual property belongs to ->http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23790 :p

Hey George! I lived in Vermont for 18 years and no one cares if you are gay, straight or whatever! Just ride the bike!
otherDoc

Isn't the US the only country where step thru bikes are called "female" bikes.. :roll: so dumb. I never understood that.

vanilla ice said:
Isn't the US the only country where step thru bikes are called "female" bikes.. :roll: so dumb. I never understood that.

The reason is that a male doesn't wear a dress/skirt, and is strong enough to cause an unbraced frame to flex excessively.

Back