New York State Senate Bill S1357 (Definition of ebike)

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
donn   10 kW

10 kW

Re: New York State Senate Bill S1357 (Definition of ebike)

Post by donn » Mar 13 2019 8:47am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Mar 13 2019 12:52am
You may well be right about the part above 20MPH, but the part about the speed limit for motor assist being below 20MPH could absolutely by used to disqualify all of the bikes that meet the federal standard by cutting assist ABOVE 20mph. They would be 1MPH faster under motor assist than would be allowed in NY. And remember, as I've written elsewhere: the motorist or bicyclist doesn't get to interpret traffic laws - that is done solely by the legal system, for better or worse.
It might be worth the money to get a local lawyer to spend 10 minutes on that and see what he or she says, if it's important to know that now. In a mathematical sense, "LESS THAN" is only infinitesimally different than "LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO", when dealing with continuous value ranges, and it's very conceivable that for legal conventions the "OR EQUAL TO" part is just considered superfluous - so a system that stops accelerating "at 20mph" would satisfy the definition. Same for 750W. A lawyer experienced in this area could tell you whether actual rulings will always go one way or the other, or split both ways.

For me, it would be silly to draw a legal distinction between 19.99 mph and 20.00 mph under any circumstances, so my guess is that "LESS THAN TWENTY MILES PER HOUR" is good up to 20.5mph, but I'm not a lawyer! The determination would have to be made from information published by the manufacturer, and I suppose cleared with the authorities by electric bicycle retailers rather than researched or tested on each individual encounter with an electric bicycle rider. You might eventually be given a dealer certification that you can present when stopped, if they're really serious. The whole thing is pretty Mickey Mouse.

DrkAngel   100 GW

100 GW

Post by DrkAngel » Mar 13 2019 9:41am

If you want to get technical ...
20mph speed limit could be interpreted as 20.000 mph (Federal notation is "not to exceed 20 mph")
while
less than 20mph could be interpreted as 19.999 mph
Why quibble over 1/1000 mph?

Any fraction over, such as 20.001 mph vs 21.0 mph is a matter of interpretation, leeway or being a hard ass.
The important thing, imo, is any form of eBike legality in NY.
A little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
There, shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely, sobers us again.

I enjoy enlightening ... and enlivening the spirit of the innovators.

New & Improved - Acronym Definitions

Index - Homemade Battery Packs - Updated - December 2019

EBike Toolbox - Bargains! $

Endless Sphere Wiki - Lost?

LeftieBiker   10 kW

10 kW

Post by LeftieBiker » Mar 13 2019 4:04pm

And remember, as I've written elsewhere: the motorist or bicyclist doesn't get to interpret traffic laws - that is done solely by the legal system, for better or worse. This applies to any interpretation, including mathematical ones. Cops don't care about math, nor does the DMV. The bill MUST be changed to not exclude bikes that can go 20MPH, or it's a bad bill.

aroundqube   1 kW

1 kW

Post by aroundqube » Dec 28 2019 2:01am

Gov. Cuomo is quoted as saying that he will propose a bill for legalizing e-bikes on January 8 . https://wnynewsnow.com/2019/12/27/cuomo ... -scooters/

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Dec 28 2019 7:29am

What a jackass. Next bill passes, he'll veto it because a scooter rider could hit a pedestrian, that isn't wearing a helmet.

The e bike law stopped again in NY, by the usual folks. The dude is so bought.