EU is trying to kill the ebike!!!

perbear

100 mW
The latest proposal from EU on ebikes is a disaster. It will make it very difficult to make or modify ebikes in Europe. Only approved vehicle and parts will be allowed on or off roads.

ETRA, the European light vehicle traders organisation, need your backing for objecting to the latest proposal. The request from ETRA for supporting their protest on the new EU legislation can be found here: http://www.etra-eu.com/newsitem.asp?type=3&id=5300868

bigisland said:
Didn't Marx's say Concern for the greater good will always lead to a certain amount of loss of individual freedom.
Well you got to hand it to the Europeans from death camps to regulated E-bike parts in what ah only 75 years not bad.

At least there is some progress :lol:

PS: Please send in the petition

It looks like they are fishing for companies to sign this. I unfortunately don't fit the criteria.
If there is some other way i can help, let me know perbear.

The wording of the principles in the petition is:

1.the exclusion from the type-approval of all electric pedal assisted cycles with assistance up to 25 km/h without specification of a motor output limit, because speed and not power is the determining safety factor;

2.the exclusion from the type-approval of all very light electric vehicles with a weight of < 25 kg and a maximum design speed up to 25 km/h, because speed and not power is the determining safety factor;

3.the development of appropriate type-approval requirements for those electrically assisted cycles and light electric vehicles which are not excluded from the type-approval;

But it is just a satirization of the truth; just laughin at us Humans, life is short.
But yeah I'll take it down, Sorry.

I dont know why you guys are getting all worked up over EU laws. I was recently in Germany on a trip and brought my ebike with me. The Polizei didnt care at all. I rode it all over the Frankfurt area, no one cared. Polizei thought it was cool.

I retrofitted my mountain bike a few months ago with a 500-700 watt golden motor kit. Running a 48V 10AH Vpower Lifepo4 pack. No one cared if it was legal/illegal in Germany.

Swimming in a bureaucracy? That's why I hate globalism. I don't know what to tell you except next time the EU election comes around vote like Finland does and tell the Eurocrats to F### off!
8)

Nerf the world, I guess...

I only have to pedal about 85rpm to hit 25 km/h..on a single-speed bmx...pedal bikes would have a huge speed advantage. :roll:

It's not the "EU" trying to "kill the ebike" of course, but pedal cyclists trying to slow progress:
http://www.bike-eu.com/news/4992/controversy-on-type-approval-regulations-for-e-bikes.html
Controversy on Type Approval Regulations for e-Bikes
BRUSSEL, Belgium - The controversy on the future regulations for electric bicycles between industry associations COLIBI/COLIPED and the one for cyclists ECF on the one hand and dealer association ETRA on the other hand is growing. It leaves the members of the European Parliament (MEPs) confused.

MEPs are being lobbied by representatives of the industry associations as well as the European Cyclist Federation (ECF) who argue that more electric bicycles and light electric vehicles on the road will endanger the safety of ‘conventional’ cyclists. They want to make sure that the market remains limited to bicycles with pedal assistance up to 25 km/h and a motor output limit of 250W. Both industry organizations are in favour of maintaining the current specifications as described in the Directive 2002/24/EC.

Full article in the link

tks
loCk

I believe the expression is "Speed Kills", not "Power Kills"...
:)
l0cK

Hehe... yah, but if ya watch their commutes, with lots of safe biking infrastructure available they set a fairly relaxed pace and still get `round town in good time... (pace speeded up here for North American consumption):
[youtube]n-AbPav5E5M[/youtube]

REdiculous said:
Wouldn't want to be a helmet saleman
But a helmet salesman could actually make some money if he could convince half of those riders to strap one on. :?
Gonna be a hard sell:
http://momentumplanet.com/blogs/the-momentum-team-blog/brain-injuries-and-the-dutch-cyclist
An Australian reader pointed me at this document which is about head and brain injuries amongst Dutch cyclists. Yes, there are also some people in NL who think that helmets for cyclists are a good idea.

To me, the thing to do is to look at the numbers. The overall risk to Dutch cyclists (it's on page two of the document) of a "head/ brain injury" is 153 per billion kilometers ridden. That means that one such injury is one per 6.5 million kilometers ridden.

On average, every Dutch person cycles 2.5 km every day. That's the highest figure for any population in the world. If we assume that people cycle every day of their lives to the age of 80, and that they cycle that 2.5 km every day of their life, they will ride a bike for a total of 73000 km during their lifetime. Divide it into 6.5 million and you find a figure that a typical Dutch cyclist can expect a "head/ brain injury" once every 90 lifetimes.

Full article in the link...

Lock

It's no problem now because there are so few on the road, but as batteries become much cheaper, smaller etc, in a few years and more and more people will ride E-Bikes then the fun will start and you can be sure the laws will be enforced!

Back