Stealth Bomber: What is a good hitch-mounted rack for it?

We know the Bomber is heavy: 116 lb (53 kg) for a 2011 model, and somewhere around 94 lb (43 kg) without its battery.

If you want to transport it to your favorite riding location, no worries if you have a van or a pick-up truck. But if your only option if to find a bike (or motorcycle) rack to fit a 2" hitch receiver, what would you do?

I have a Thule 916 XTR T2 which can be extended to carry 4 bike of 60 lb (27 kg) each so the overall weight capacity is sufficient, but I worry about it limit of 60 lb (27 kg) per bike location. Maybe a bomber could distort/break its plastic wheel receivers, as that could be the weak point (instead of the metal bars)?

I have a roof rack, from which I could attach straps to the bike rack to help pick up some of the bounce loads and/or prevent twisting (when you hit a bump on one side) but like I said above this rack is already designed to for a total of 240 lb (109 kg) of bikes, so the main backbone strength is OK. Limiting factors that possibly remain:
  • Transverse bar to backbone clamps.
  • Transverse bar itself.
  • Plastic wheel well.
  • Base of the clamping arm lever, which could receive excessive bending loads from a heavier bike jolted front/back during acceleration/braking.
So adding support straps may or may not address the true weak point of this system.

Another thing to consider: Dropping/damaging your expensive bike(s) on the road is one concern. But sending a bike sliding onto a freeway can result in other people's accidents and injuries. A person injured due to your inadequate transport method could have a valid legal claim.

Let me know how you do it. Thanks,
Jerome

Same topics:
Google groups: Stealth Electric Bikes: Stealth Bomber: What is a good hitch-mounted rack for it?
Google groups: Stealth Electric Bikes: how do you transport your bomber Options

Attachments

• 916_xtr_t2.jpg
    916_xtr_t2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3,622
Over here in Oz we have similar design wheel mount racks made by a company called 'Gripsport' that market them toward heavy DH bikes. I have carried my 55Kg e-bike on my friends single bike carrier and it handled it fine. You could get a shop to weld one up easy enough.... If you want dimensions of the steel sections used by Gripsport just let me know.

http://www.gripsport.com.au/bike_main.php?part=bike_products&prodID=30

ed6fcb4035.jpg

bcd25a38f1.jpg

1f5e9d8e6e.jpg

a938c7119e.jpg

bba18bcd38.jpg

For that sort of price, and in general, I'd be looking more at a small dirt bike style carrier.
This is what I'm thinking of for my bike. It's almost 20kg lighter than the bomber but those shelf type carriers look easier to get the bike on and off of.
I wouldn't pay $400 for one though, if you've got the skills they're easily made with about $50 worth of materials.
eg.

[youtube]eJuzfF9GFFE[/youtube]

edit: boost juice beat me to it - yeah that sorta thing!

Thanks guys, a dirt bike (motorcycle) carrier system seems like a good way to go.

In the USA, this could be a good choice (for carrying a Bomber and another ebike):
AMC-600-2 double motorcycle carrier for 240 $US. Weight: 69 lb.
Video of the single bike AMC-400 model.

I like that they are in Aluminum, so probably not too heavy (I need to carry the carrier from the apartment to the garage) and over-designed for carrying a Bomber that is very light in comparison to a typical "dirt bike". Price not too bad either.

The wheel well are too wide (5-5/8") but that can be shimmed with inserts, or maybe a non-issue after securing wheel bases.

Attachments

• amc-600-2-5.jpg
    amc-600-2-5.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 3,666
Copied form this previous post...

Got some info from Kevin at Electric Cyclery who re-sells the Joe Hauler carriers (400 $US for single, 560 $US for double + shipping), which is worthwile copying here...
The electric bike carriers are heavy duty but are much too big and heavy to keep stocked in the shop.
Feel free to contact the manufacturer, Joe Hauler in San Marcos, CA
See: joehauler.com or give them a call (760) 510-9092 and tell them you want the electric bike carrier.
This is basically a motorcycle carrier with narrow wheel tracks.
Fits any Class III 2" receiver type hitch.
Holds up to 600 lbs.
Includes mounting ramp.

It is probably similar to the Standard Double Hauler model, for which there is this extra info:
Cam-Loc eliminates hitch slop

Attachments

• joe_hauler_side.jpg
    joe_hauler_side.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 3,669

Attachments

• Lund_601009_Bike_Carrier_Attachment .jpg
    Lund_601009_Bike_Carrier_Attachment .jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 3,675
Thule are big in the uk, you can view them on the halfords site, their max carrying weight is close to the bomber weight I think but I am going to adapt mine to add some support wires up to the roof rack mounts as this will improve the load capacity an add some safety

Back