Wanted:Ebike that looks like a Motorcycle

Blueshift

100 W
Hi all,

I have a visual impairment which limits me from driving and getting a drivers license.
So although a bicycle frame styled more like a motorcycle frame may carry extra weight and thus less performance, for me, the reasons are simple: I want the most beefy looking ebike I can get for both looks, and for storage. Now there are the scooter style ones such as the xb 700li or the veloteq commander and although these bikes look neat, i was thinking about taking it to the next level and make or buy a bike that looks like a a classical cruiser or sports bike. here is what my dream machine might look like...

TomosSM-L.jpg

Now there are 3 ways to do this 1. buy an existing ebike model that looks like a motorcycle. 2. convert the gas powered "tomos streetmate moped" to electric. or 3. fabricate body parts and make/get a suitable frame. I would prefer buying if i can but i would be willing to convert the tomos since i think it looks absolutely amazing. so heres my questions..

1 is there any ebike on the market that looks like a motorcycle but has the 20mph 1000watt bicycle classifications.?

2. could I convert a tomos streetmate with a 1000 watt motor 20mph max?
The tomos street mate is 160 punds with the gas parts on it as well so i figure I might be able to reduce the load under a 100 pounds.

any comments and ideas would be appreciated, this is after all , one of my dreams and would be considered my flagship vehicle for transportation. Thank you

Here is a new version of my Mongoose 26" MTB. DR BASS has a bike exactly like the one I have. Very strong bike but it weighs 50 pounds or more without any motors or anything.

photo.jpg

I'm sorry, but if you can't see well enough then walk or ride a bus, because you have no business on/in riding/driving any motorized vehicle whether it's plated or not.

John in CR said:
I'm sorry, but if you can't see well enough then walk or ride a bus, because you have no business on/in riding/driving any motorized vehicle whether it's plated or not.

I agree entirely. There's a difference between what the letter of the law allows you to do and what you ought to do.
Take care.

John in CR said:

visually impaired can mean vision less than 20/40 oh like say 20/50 so where do you get the idea that i cannot ride a 20mph tops vehicle? think much? Sounds to me the same attitude some spandex boys have if you know what i mean. Perhaps I need to spell everything out for people who do not have much of a capacity to think... and I did not know this forum has trolls in it .... greattttt.

I have ridden bicycles far past 20mph since i was a kid and have never had or caused an accident. Oh and thanks for the great comedy video about a blind person that helps alot. I am sorry i am not a fat blob or that i am not part of the neo nazi enviromentalist movement, or that i am not a gear head or physics enthusiast. I am truly sorry i don't fit in either of those clicks. One thing is certain that i could smoke at least 90 percent of you on a good old hpv road bike. So plz stay ignorant and eat potato chips and believe that carbon emissions will kill us next year, but for all those who are philosophically balanced, i return to my original topic.

Thanks Jason and Adrian for your posts thus far those are some cool looking bikes i especially like the yellow trimmed one... however it would also be nice to have one of those fake gas tanks used for trunk space... and a couple of hard cased.. body style saddle bags.

If he can ride a bike safely then he can also ride an ebike. There's a big difference between car and ebike speeds, their sizes and the amount of damage that can be done with them.

Yep no problem if you can see enough. As to the un called for jokes and coments above, not cool :( .
The drivers licence test is a blunt instrument which ensures good enough eyesight for the open road, not just residential areas.
I can't pass the eyesight test for a drivers licence and have been riding bikes most of my life.
I have figured out that I feel safe up to 50Kph on a bike but I wouldn't want to go any faster.

Blueshift said:
Thanks Jason and Adrian for your posts thus far those are some cool looking bikes i especially like the yellow trimmed one... however it would also be nice to have one of those fake gas tanks used for trunk space... and a couple of hard cased.. body style saddle bags.

No problem.

You will probably like this one then...

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20780
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24679
IMG_4097a.jpg

Ricky_nz said:
Yep no problem if you can see enough. As to the un called for jokes and coments above, not cool :( .

Agreed, nice way to welcome a new member fellas, maybe when you get to know the Blueshift these jokes would be acceptable, but being one myself with a disability i don't take kindly to complete strangers making fun of my disability.

Welcome to the forum Blueshift, be assured there are alot of helpful people here that will be more than happy to help you through your
build. The second bike pictured in the second post is actually one of mine, the blue one is my friends Matt (although it was recently sold for 2k)

What are the laws in your area, i assume 20mph top speed but is there a pedal requirement? if not this makes it hella easier.
I would suggest a light weight 125cc motorcyle second hand better if it has a blown ICE motor even it will be cheaper
then retro fit it with electric.

Alternatively, there are some very very nice '3/4 size' bobber kits avaialble last i checked theywere in the 1200 dollar range for rolling chassis, HEAPS of room for battery packs and motor in the frame.... Either way wish you well on your project shall follow with interest and help when possible although im a bit of a meat head when it comes to the electrical side of things haha

KiM

EDiT:- FYI Those above frames posted are 'Baseman' frames, they are made in the Netherlands are extremely expensive and hard to get if outside of Holland.

For the record, my comments were safety related, and never meant to be insulting. Blueshift's first post almost sounded like he was legally blind and that made me overreact.
I must be quite ignorant about the spectrum of visual problems. I am very myopic, and I always thought that if one had glasses to correct the condition, one would be road-ready.
Welcome aboard!

Don't know what country you are in since you haven't filled out your location in your profile, but since you don't have a license, I'd say stick with the classic bike look. Going to something that looks like a motorcycle will do nothing but get the cops on you and even though you *may* win in court, it will cost you a ton in legal fees.

I was just thinking the same thing. Other threads have covered peoples problems with trying to ride the scooter look ebikes with no licence.

In some cases, local cops could give a damn what the law actually says. Then they proceed to harass and ticket the rider based on, "looks like a motor vehicle to me". The rest of the story could well be small town, and or a particular cop hating the rider. But in any case, looking like a bike and pedaling seems to be a definite advantage, even when riding within the letter of the law.

Another case I know of, the small town cops never realized the ebike was a moped. In this case, an ebike is legaly a moped in that state, and a valid drivers licence needed. Looking like a bike, the cops ignored him for a looong time.

The Tomos pictured in the first post is classified as either a moped or motorcycle in all US states. It requires some type operator's license (not always a moto endorsement, sometimes just a car DL) in every state but North Carolina. It has a VIN and is classified as a motor vehicle. Taking out the gas engine and adding electric doesn't instantly change that. Its much better to start with an actual bicycle in your case.

Ricky_nz wrote:
Yep no problem if you can see enough. As to the un called for jokes and coments above, not cool .

Agreed, nice way to welcome a new member fellas, maybe when you get to know the Blueshift these jokes would be acceptable, but being one myself with a disability i don't take kindly to complete strangers making fun of my disability.

Thanks so much Ricky and AJ for redeeming the forum with a new member. Don't want to sound politically correct or precious, but this is the first time I have been offended on this forum to be honest, and usually I do the offensive thing.

Blueshift a lot of people have made the point (and it is hard not knowing what country you live in, to guage local law enforcement styles) that a motorbike looking ebike will attract a lot of attention from the Policeman, and there is some truth in that (depending where you live - I know here in Aus, a motorbike build with even street legal epower would have you arguing and briefing counsel on your first or second ride). Maybe a cruiser style ebike (by that I mean a bike like cruiser frame with epower as opposed to a motorbike build with legal epower) would be better. If you are interested in the former, it will almost certainly be (at least partly) a custom build. Kim is the legend builder on the forum for that style.

nuevomexicano said:
The Tomos pictured in the first post is classified as either a moped or motorcycle in all US states. It requires some type operator's license (not always a moto endorsement, sometimes just a car DL) in every state but North Carolina. It has a VIN and is classified as a motor vehicle. Taking out the gas engine and adding electric doesn't instantly change that. Its much better to start with an actual bicycle in your case.

Lee Ioccaca's EV Global bike has a VIN, so that shouldn't be an impediment. If you remove the gas engine and add electric, why wouldn't that meet the requirements to be classified as an electric bike? If you aren't pedaling, essentially its a 750W electric moped classified as a bicycle. You would certainly need to be ready to make your case with the authorities though. I'd take it to the cop shop to show it off first, and offer to wear an "electric bicycle" tag on the back if that would make them happy.

You can use a motorcycle frame and build an ebike, you just need pedals that work. I personally wouldn't do it that way since I think it would be hard/awkward to pedal (and a bit heavier) but it's not a terrible idea since it'll be that much stronger and you could (ditch the pedals and) register as a motorcycle for much higher speeds at some point.

John in CR said:

While you may be right, that's a bit harsh to say it that way.

There's no reason we can't all be nice to each other.

Lee Ioccaca's EV Global bike has a VIN, so that shouldn't be an impediment. If you remove the gas engine and add electric, why wouldn't that meet the requirements to be classified as an electric bike? If you aren't pedaling, essentially its a 750W electric moped classified as a bicycle. You would certainly need to be ready to make your case with the authorities though. I'd take it to the cop shop to show it off first, and offer to wear an "electric bicycle" tag on the back if that would make them happy.

If Iaccoco's ebike had a VIN and that VIN "reads" electric moped, then the guy still needs an operator's license of some type in every state but NC (home of the liquor cycle) because electric moped is still a moped.
If Iaccoco's ebike VIN says its a bicycle, then no license is needed. The Tomos VIN very clearly says its a moped or motocycle. But why mention Iaccoco's ebike as an option since it looks nothing like what this guy wants?

Its not just the engine swap that would make it a bicycle...it needs pedals and such. It could probably be done, but as I said its easier (less cop hassle, less cop confusion, less need to buy a moped and then gut the moped) in this case to start with a bicycle and build up.

nuevomexicano said:

If Iaccoco's ebike had a VIN and that VIN "reads" electric moped, then the guy still needs an operator's license of some type in every state but NC (home of the liquor cycle) because electric moped is still a moped.
If Iaccoco's ebike VIN says its a bicycle, then no license is needed. The Tomos VIN very clearly says its a moped or motocycle. But why mention Iaccoco's ebike as an option since it looks nothing like what this guy wants?

Its not just the engine swap that would make it a bicycle...it needs pedals and such. It could probably be done, but as I said its easier (less cop hassle, less cop confusion, less need to buy a moped and then gut the moped) in this case to start with a bicycle and build up.

You make a good point about what would pop up on a cop's computer. It would be prudent to convert the title to "salvage" to show the VIN in question is considered a salvage part and not associated with a currently licenced or licence-eligible vehicle. Then you represent the VIN'd frame as being a salvaged and repurposed part of an electric bicycle. You are then operating a device that meets the definition of "electric bicycle" (in many states) because no VIN is required or considered in that definition.

Riding an ebike that looks like motorcycle is like carrying around a squirtgun that looks like a real gun.

If the police don't harass you everytime they see you, they aren't doing their job.

Its completely backwards of what you want to achieve Ebike enjoyment.

Want to carry around a gun? Paint it day glow pink and yellow, and causally hold it and play with it in the open like a toy, maybe also have a couple water balloons or a suction-cup dart poked in the barrel.

Doing ebikes right, means doing the same thing. Give it motorcycle performance, then try to make it as obviously and obnoxisiously a bicycle as possible. This means years of hassle free Ebike performance bliss.

Painting your squirtgun black is for imbeciles.

liveforphysics said:
Riding an ebike that looks like motorcycle is like carrying around a squirtgun that looks like a real gun.

If the police don't harass you everytime they see you, they aren't doing their job.

Its completely backwards of what you want to achieve Ebike enjoyment.

Want to carry around a gun? Paint it day glow pink and yellow, and causally hold it and play with it in the open like a toy, maybe also have a couple water balloons or a suction-cup dart poked in the barrel.

Doing ebikes right, means doing the same thing. Give it motorcycle performance, then try to make it as obviously and obnoxisiously a bicycle as possible. This means years of hassle free Ebike performance bliss.

Painting your squirtgun black is for imbeciles.

Interesting way to look at it.

Where I live that's totally true. We have multi-use paths, and they go everywhere. Better to ride an E-bike that looks like a regular old bike. Nobody notices.

In fact, only the kids notice when you're not pedaling but going slightly uphill. They stare while the adults don't think anything of it.

Aside from IceCube57's visit to my town to ride, I have never seen another electric bike.

Back