There's a new sheriff in town (new pics on p5)

John in CR

100 TW
Sorry Arlo1 and DoctorBass, but since Luke sent Pinky to some unknown Asian, someone has to take his place as top dog, and it definitely isn't some candy-ass Crystalyte powered pedal assist bike. Just so you don't have any ideas to the contrary, instead of that tiny 200mm diameter by 30mm wide stator with the splayed stator plates to make it easier to pedal at the sacrifice of raw power, imagine the torque and power served up by Hubmonster with its 270mm diameter that's 50mm wide and couldn't give 2 shits about cogging.

Mounted to my Cannondale SuperV with a custom steel extended swingarm that is ready for a wide range of motor mountings this is the first ebike I've built that I actually felt the need to wear my motorcycle helmet for my initial test ride. SuperV is now officially a living beast.
SuperV with Hubmonster.JPG

Here's the typical view from cars and high power ebike wannabes.
SuperV with Hubmonster rear view.JPG

That's an almost 5" wide tire on the rear, and the front is a 3"x20" Kenda Flame.

Wow John, it is almost as ugly as Luke's pinky curry, but it looks just as mean. :mrgreen:

So, will you tell us some performance data, of wait that we beg you?

Looks like the 9C 10x6 that 273mm in diameter but its casted in a scooter rim.. Should make insane torque but only a 30 mm wide stator.... what makes this hubbie above thye rest other than the wheel size.

OHHH OOO 50mm stator... Awesomeness

No Icey, it's no craptastic low QC 9C hubbie sold only for export, not inside China which keeps the best for itself. The big diameter 9C has a skinny stator like the magic pie, not 30mm. This puppy is made to push a 300lb scooter plus rider and passenger, and is made to a much higher build quality. Those low rpm 9C's turn so slowly they don't even need to be balanced, and aren't.

MadRhino,
Peformance data to come. Top of the list is to verify whether the dual sets of halls are identical timing or if one is advance timing for some 2 speed action. It seems a bit higher Kv than on my daily rider hubbie which has a Kv of 16rpm per volt, so in addition to crazy torque as I push the stock 30fet controller from the normal 60V up closer to 100V, I expect well above 60mph.

Once I determine the current needs, I'll build a fairly short range battery into the swingarm. I just need to determine first if A123s are needed, or Konion VTs will suffice. I can fit a lot more wh of Konions, so I'd like to use them if I can. For testing I'm just using Lipo's in a backpack, but that's WAY too inconvenient as a permanent solution.

Not to thread crap, but unless you got some hard data, I will call this bullshit for now. No doubt it looks like.a clean build, but other than that, I don't see what is special.

mvly said:
Not to thread crap, but unless you got some hard data, I will call this bullshit for now. No doubt it looks like.a clean build, but other than that, I don't see what is special.

mvly = f*cking retard.

This is like a hubmotor for a car fitted to a bicycle. This should make for the most powerful hubmotor bicycle that has ever roamed the streets.

For perspective, a 9C has 169.6cm^2 of active flux area.

Johns new motor has 423.9cm^2 of active flux area, and that area is on a 35% longer moment arm.

In the worst case it should do the output of about about 3.3 of the 9C motors in that single motor, and since a substantial amount of the resistive heat loss in a 9C is from the end-turns, and you've got 3.3x 9C motors worth of active magnetic material with roughly 1.35x the increase in end-turn loss over a single 9c, I'm predicting it will be more like 4-5 9c's worth of motor potential in that back wheel.

And just a single 9C can rip pretty damn hard when driven right!

This thing should fly!

randel24 said:
...Can you get away with that down there? 8)

I didn't want to rub it in, but yeah I'm 100% street legal as a bicycle. Actually even better than a bicycle, because being motorized and able go at least 40kph means I can ride on the 2 highways where bicycles are prohibited. Where I got so lucky was that kids toy electrics have been too expensive for the average local, so electrics are still below the legal radar. ie No ICE motor larger than 49cc and 3 wheels or less and it's a bicycle. Cops have better things to do anyway, so I wouldn't worry even if I was a bit illegal.

I did an emoto to start this e-journey, but that slow short range pig was zero fun. All of my ebikes have been much better in terms of performance, and being light and nimble compared to motos is a real plus, so I'm sticking with this route as long as my legal window lasts. My daily rider is faster than I like to ride, so my chase is for acceleration but without sacrificing 100% reliability. I'll leave pushing the electric envelope to guys into it like Luke et al.

Nice! I'm sure you won't dissapoint us, and build a proper battery box. Your lipo is hardcase already anyway, so do just tape em on like usual. 8)

Speaking of safety gear, you should tie your shoes on good for that one. :D If you do send a sneak flying, we want it on video. :mrgreen:

I'd love to see some vid of that thing climbing a 40% grade dirt hill! Looks like it could kick pinkys ass with the right controller. :twisted:

Can you tell us about what type of rear brake you're going to run on that beast?

I'm also wondering about the peddle (to ground) clearance...but then again, who needs peddles with that kind of power?

dogman said:
...If you do send a sneak flying, we want it on video. :mrgreen:
The pic is smallish, but I think I saw some clip pedals. I guess that John took care not to be the running gag of this month. :twisted:

hey john, just out of curiousity, where is this utopia where this would still be considered a bicycle?

ok, costa rica, sweet. cops in khakis, no armed forces, great beaches, a fiscally responsible government, and bicycles like this. what are the women like? is not being bilingual gunna hurt? and how does my silly ass sign up?

ptd said:
what are the women like? is not being bilingual gunna hurt?

Hurt? You actually want to listen to what they have to say? Sorry, ladies out there. I just couldn't resist the piggish wise crack once it popped into my head.

You can get by with zero spanish and pick up what you absolutely need as you go (numbers and foods). Tourism is big, so it's not difficult to find locals with at least some english.

ptd said:
... how does my silly ass up sign up?

Just a passport and a plane ticket. My son's plane ticket a few months ago was $169 from Denver.

Lenk42602 said:
oh yeah! What's the weight of the rear hub motor?

Get to fabbin!

Len

Friggin heavy. I haven't weighed it, but with the tire it's definitely over 30lbs. It's for riding not carrying, and not catching air, so weight in the rear wheel is of little consequence to me. The suspension is like riding on a cloud, especially since I've had a 25lb hubbie hammering my spine on my daily rider hardtail for over 2.5 years.

Sweet Jesus. The super V lives. Now THATS something that looks comfortable at speed.

You gotta stop teasing us and link us to where you got that beast at some point. I'm sure it's not standard bicycle compatible, but there are enough loonatics around here that might build a frame or two around it.

dogman said:
Nice! I'm sure you won't dissapoint us, and build a proper battery box. Your lipo is hardcase already anyway, so do just tape em on like usual. 8)

Speaking of safety gear, you should tie your shoes on good for that one. :D If you do send a sneak flying, we want it on video. :mrgreen:

I'd love to see some vid of that thing climbing a 40% grade dirt hill! Looks like it could kick pinkys ass with the right controller. :twisted:

I think I can fit 1kwh within and above the swingarm and still have room for that big controller. No lipo as a permanent solution though...too far for me to go in the trust department, especially in a swingarm battery.

No, it wouldn't hang with Pinky, but Pinky is gone. I can't wait to see Luke's next build. I'm pretty sure this controller has a slower current ramp up, so hopefully none of that twitchy throttle stuff for me, but we'll keep video rolling early on just in case. :mrgreen:

grindz145 said:
Sweet Jesus. The super V lives. Now THATS something that looks comfortable at speed.

You gotta stop teasing us and link us to where you got that beast at some point. I'm sure it's not standard bicycle compatible, but there are enough loonatics around here that might build a frame or two around it.

I bought it used on the forum. Someone bought a new motor for their scooter. The covers are identical to some of the hubbies sold by Kelly. I don't know which winding it is though.

FMB42 said:
Can you tell us about what type of rear brake you're going to run on that beast?

I'm also wondering about the peddle (to ground) clearance...but then again, who needs peddles with that kind of power?

It has a big 3 hole moto disc mount, but I may end up using regen as the only rear brake.

Yeah, at full stroke on the suspension the pedals will hit the ground, but pedals are pretty much just for show and I'm already used to being careful wrt pedal strike. For off-roading I need to mount one of my RC rigs to the original swingarm and slip the 26er on the front. That kind of easily swappable dual swingarm approach is a scratch build I'm working on. I just want to get a feel for this big travel suspension in road use first.

Yeah, at full stroke on the suspension the pedals will hit the ground, but pedals are pretty much just for show and I'm already used to being careful wrt pedal strike.

A pedal tap is only $20 IIRC. Hack saw the pedals down short, and tap new threads into em!

Also, awesome! I ran with no rear brake, just regen for a few months. Only time I missed the rear brake was when walking the bike down stairs. Don't think you'll have that problem.

Also, also, the fact that you fit this on the bike by only modding the swing arm makes me wonder, maybe those guys interested in making ebike frames should just make hub ready swing arms that'll adapt to a readily available frame?

Can't wait to see how this turns out! With that sort of power, I bet you're gonna get a chapped lips, and bleary eyed quick. Maybe a fairing?

Repeating the obvious, that thing is just badassss. Glad to see you didn't hack up that frame to move the seat after all. You may need some weight forward on it anyway. 8)

Even gladder to see you get off the wallbikes. That frame is something you'll be falling in love with. Real suspension. Ahhhhh.

Ya, this isn't a bicycle with a hub motor....this thing is a hub motor with a bicycle.

Back