I might have to rebuild my bike on this frame

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
NeilP   10 GW

10 GW

I might have to rebuild my bike on this frame

Post by NeilP » Jul 17 2011 12:24pm

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... eam-16472/

not sure of the exact model that is being offered for sale locally as the picture is very vague

http://www.jerseyinsight.com/Classified ... uspension/

as is the description. but I have sent the seller a mail so I can at least see the bike.

i reckon there is good clearance in the triangle for my nano tech pack to sit....ok have to find a new spot for the controller...but that looks like a useful frame...not sure what the swing arm is made of..but ...any way ..any one got any comments on these bikes? before I spend cash on another frame?
:) Only Irish coffee provides in a glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat :)

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Re: I might have to rebuild my bike on this frame

Post by neptronix » Jul 17 2011 1:19pm

That's an excellent rectangular space on a FS bike.
MTBR has some negative things to say about this bike.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-suspen ... 26crx.aspx
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

NeilP   10 GW

10 GW

Post by NeilP » Jul 17 2011 1:42pm

Interesting on the welding front...I 'll look closely there before I buy...but not making that a point not to buy...only as a reason to knock the seller down in price. I can easily TIG it up again.

Will be running rear 5304, so the ease of making up torque plates is the issue...and fitting my pack in the 'triangle'
:) Only Irish coffee provides in a glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat :)

Pure   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Pure » Jul 17 2011 2:23pm

I do like the looks of that frame. Pity the seller on the FS ad doesn't give better pictures. It never ceases to amaze me how someone with such a high quality item, asking not a cheap price, can think such a vague pic is acceptable.
Mongoose DH
X5304
60V20Ah LiFePO4

I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns to its original trajectory and adheres to you. So there!

NeilP   10 GW

10 GW

Post by NeilP » Jul 17 2011 2:48pm

better for me...maybe no one else will look at it...I am going to look at it tomorrow, with my battery mock up, to see if my pack will fit in the frame

geetarboy   100 W

100 W

Post by geetarboy » Jul 17 2011 2:51pm

That is an excellent frame set-up on that bike, I want to put all my batteries and controller inside the triangle on my next build. I haven't seen a much better candidate than that yet.

NeilP   10 GW

10 GW

Post by NeilP » Jul 17 2011 3:04pm

Yea, you are right, for a full sus bike it is a good frame.
Te one that is for sale is only a Medium frame though...a large or XL version would be better

At present I have my bats and controller inside my Mongoose hardtail

but want to go full bounce if I can

LI-ghtcycle   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by LI-ghtcycle » Jul 17 2011 3:44pm

Good to see there is decent space in the triangle in the frame, however, I would look for a Giant NRS, very similar set-up, but no frame issues.

I think that although the design of the mongoose frame looks attractive because of the triangle space, but with virtually the same amount of space in the triangle, the NRS gives you a proven design with no history of frames cracking.

I believe that the small rear triangle design is just too short to give it adequate strength and from MTBR's reviews, it has poorer handling too because of this.

Here is a 2002 NRS on Ebay for $600 USD:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Giant-NRS-Suspensio ... 35b39a2fa7

Large frame though, I'm sure your looking for XL.

I'm sure your TIG skills are up to re-welding a crack or 2, but if it'd doing that already with just a normal weight of a rider, I'd be leery of adding all that extra weight in the places we all do for an E-Bike, and what extra stresses it might put on what looks to be a poor design, and if it's the geometry causing the trouble, unless you plan on welding up cracks on a regular basis, I would look for a different frame, just my $.02 :wink:
Thank you Justin_Le for your selfless act of kindness! We all are in your debt.
Back on track E-Bronco! Now with Cro Motor Mid-Drive Goodness!
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=44997

Vision R40 w/3000w MXUS as mid-drive, NuVinci N171B rear wheel as transmission, Silent yet powerful, running 72v 11.6 ah (20s 18650 Li-Ion) to climb hills, tow trailer with zero pedaling when needed!

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=75247[/size]

NeilP   10 GW

10 GW

Post by NeilP » Jul 18 2011 12:45am

Well, yes you are right there, suppose I could look at adding a few reinforcing pieces if necessary. but agree, extra work and looking at that NRS frame, that is a better design for an e-bike. For my use, the rear sus is to soak up road surface and small pavement steps etc, not for doing 6 ft drops, so will not be giving it too much abuse,