ebike World record distance attempt

cripes, if he does it, I will beat it in a week, while still working.....:)

I hate when people use the word "inventor" lets agree to reserve that name for cold fusion.

Might have to ask KF what the actual record is....:)

Edit: I shouldn't be so negative, it's cool that he's doing it...

But meh... :roll:

If memory serves I think the unpowered cyclists make it across the USA in a week :?:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-7000/longest-journey-on-an-motorized-bicycle/

Seems like someone here could give this one a go.

Yeah I read that as: guiness said they won't count it unless it's at least 1200 clicks and the guy says it's 200w, because that's the legal limit :mrgreen:

I'm totally going to beat him.

O wow there is a record already. Eddie smedgemore? Eddie, register and tell us your story :mrgreen:

Edit, says he did his journey in 28 days, how come justin isn't on here for his 6000+km journey?

It seems this attempt will be entirely powered by wind...turbines mounted on a purpose built Moke/Mini support vehicle. I've flown to Birdesville from Northern NSW...took many hours cruising at 140 mph across seemingly endless desert. So this is a real feat on a Bomber limited to 200W, regardless of records.

There's no way that things limited to 200w. I'm willing to bet that's the on-paper power for legal reasons.

full-throttle said:
grindz145 said:
There's no way that things limited to 200w. I'm willing to bed that's the on-paper power for legal reasons.
Well, it is.

Prove it. It's not limited to 200w in the video, that's for sure.

Not saying anything about the video.

The Bomber has a 'legal mode' switch as an option.

It's a true power limiter, unlike the dep store 'legal' bikes.

I'm sure GWR officials will test it.

it's powered by wind... turbines mounted on a vehicle. can you get any dumber?

edit... sh*tty video too :lol:

Awww. Kepler. After reading the title and your name on the post, I thought you were going to be trying it with the eBoost.
Oh,well.

Bit of a strange record as well since the non electric bikes have gone much further. Still an epic number of kms to do on a bike in a week no matter which way you look at it.

- Adrian

adrian_sm said:
Bit of a strange record as well since the non electric bikes have gone much further.
Agree

The only thing I like is the bike :lol:

The bike was chosen due to its great battery capacity
Why not use a lighter, smaller capacity bike and swap batteries more often??

voicecoils rode from Canberra to Melbourne on a comercial bike, 160km a day.

I love the bike too, but it wouldn't be my preference for a ride like this. Better off going for a road bike, than an off-road.

Something doesn't quite add up either.

Allan Lear reports the bike is programmed to ride at 200 watts and a swap and go battery bank will provide necessary power - he is hoping to get between 40 to 60 kilometres with pedal power.

200w/20kph = 10wh/km
10wh/km * 50kms = 500wh.

The bike has three times that battery capacity.

And who are they kidding with their charging method. Turbine on a moving car. Reminds me of some of the perpetual motion machine ideas I have seen.

Kepler you and I should have a crack on our bikes. They weight about 1/4 to 1/5th that of the bomber, can do 50kms easy, and at a faster speed on 200w.

- Adrian

Does someone specify somewhere : on a single charge no pedal??

My actual record with 2.3kWh of konion is 210km 32km/h 5305 on 20" wheel NO PEDAL and ON ONE CHARGE TOTAL..

Doc

Doctorbass said:
Does someone specify somewhere : on a single charge no pedal??
Not that I know of..
The longest journey on a motorized bicycle was achieved by Eddie Sedgemore (UK) who cycled 1,912.1 miles (3,077 km) during 28 days from 9 May to 5 June 2009.
relax Doc, no one is stealing your records

Edit: actually disregard the quote from GWR - it's 'longest distance' not 'longest distance in a week' nor 'longest distance on a single charge'

Can't seem to find any ref to 'Longest Distance Travelled by Electric Bicycle in 1 Week' anywhere

Is someone plan on recharging FAST without wasting time .. ( to help beating the record.. I recommand HAVING A POWERFULL POLYVALENT CHARGER !!! 8)

Mine full a 1700WH pack in ... JUST 1 hour.. on a single 120V 15A outlet.... now guess how fast on 220V :twisted:

let's make some calculation... slower = better distance for teh same energy.... usually betweem 20 and 30kmh the difference is not so much.. as between 40 to 50kmh... so let say 30kmh

30km per hour at 10Wh per km ( with slim slick tire and a motor optimized to run 30kmh at FULL throttle to get the best efficiency... let say 48V and a HT35 on a 20" wheel = 32kmh speed full throttle

each hour you travel 30km and spend 300Wh.. so you'll do 5.66 time running the ebike compare to teh recharging time.. that's 170km per charge

170km = 5.6 hour of running state + one hour to fully charge + let say 5 minutes to find an outlet for recharging.. so let say each 7 hours you do 170km and 582km per day

Now let say we run it NON LEGAL and can go up to 60km ( doublespeed)

at 60 kmh the ebike will consume around 1500W

so if it take one hour to charge 1700W, it will take 53 minutes to charge 1500W

so eack 60km done will take 1 hour and 53 minutes + 5 minutes for recharge so total of the process can be done around 12 time in 24 hours

12 x 60km = 720km in one day

Those exemples give us some real world numbers

The faster you run your ebike , the more distance you will do in 24 hour.. but the more energy per km you will consume and the more charging step nee dto be done...

I should put that in an equation in excel :wink: and find the optimum speed for the best distance per day

Doc

I would hazard a guess any off road sections would be ridden in a higher power mode.

Either way, some things to consider are that the Bomber has a bunch of good things going for it:

* 1.5 kWh battery
* Reasonably quick battery swap time (5min is plenty)
* Great comfort due to suspension
* Good motor efficiency.

Although the Stealth bikes are known for going fast and being able to tackle extreme terrain, they'd be a good platform for a long energy-efficient ride.

Glow Worm Bicycles has done some big rides on our eZeebikes: Canberra to Melbourne (700km) which I was part of as well as electric mountain biking in Nepal using conversion kits and riding through Tasmania as well.

We found that with favourable conditions (wind & hills), 5 Wh/km was enough to maintain 25-30 km/h with constant pedalling.

We're currently planning a much longer trip, aiming for a higher 30-35 km/h average speed but also budgeting faster energy consumption, perhaps 6-10 Wh/km.

full-throttle said:
adrian_sm said:
200w/20kph = 10wh/km
Hmm.. something is not right with the logic there, 'cause increasing the speed by an order of magnitude (I just love saying that) gives:

200w/200kph = 1wh/km

surely not

Watts / (km/hr) = Watts.hours/km
The equation is right. But the numbers you fed in are probably not. I haven't seen anything that only takes 200w to do 200kph.
But if it did 1wh/km would be its efficiency. :lol:

200w is more than I would expect to maintain 20kph, so that is actually pretty crappy efficiency, assumed sealed roads. They should be able to do much better than that, but efficiency is not the name of the game really if you can just swap packs.

Abraham. Epic rides dude. Hats off to you.

- Adrian

Back