Rim suggestions

Jay64

100 kW
I am looking for some good suggestions 4 a rim to be used for street racing.

Yeah, like what motor, what speeds, & what size wheel .... could be anything from a heavy duty bicycle rim to a light duty motorcycle rim depending on what you're doing. :wink:

I am no expert on rims but I got a rim by a company called DMR, it was the Dee-Vee rim, 24", 36h. I got it from ChainReactionCycles.com

Its very nicely finished but you will need a file to grind down the eyelets to allow the larger gauge nipples in.

I got it for my 24" X5 build and it is very strong and light.

By your avatar, I presume that you are looking for motorcycle racing rims. Here's my choice:

bst_title.jpg

Well I am a motorcycle guy, but in this case I am trying to build a race bicycle. Sorry bout that, I guess I was making an assumption by posting in the bicycle section. But now that you guys mention it, there are some people that post in the wrong section. I am looking to build an ebike for a motored bicycle race in Cali being held on a paved go-cart/supermoto track (I don't think they are going to be using the dirt section for this event.) Apparently it is going to be an event that has both electric and gas bicycles. Not many rules, but it specifically states that motorcycle rims are not allowed. I am thinking of using my Tidal Force frame for this build. So I would want to be using 26" rims. I'm looking to use disk brakes. I have a choice of motors, including frock and non frock ones. But I'm leaning towards non frock for this build. The race rules also suggest less than 11 hp, but it looks like that is open to some interpretation. So it might be better to go with less than 11 to be on the safe side. Speeds, I will be trying to go as fast as possible for <11 hp. But it sounds like the vague rules will penalize me for going too fast, even if I fall under their 11 hp limit. I've been talking to a few people and I think I will be trying to use the maxxis hookworms for tires. I also want to try to use dual rear freewheels for the drive.
Like I mentioned, I am definately a motorcycle guy, so not too knowledgeable about the smaller details of bicycles. I have been doing some google searching on bike rims. Seems like all the ones I found are just rims, not hubs. So I gues I also have a question about what hubs to get as well.

Check out a few reviews on MTBR. SunRingle is generally reasonably priced, mid-quality with a wide selection. 29mm wide will fit 2 to 2.5" tires in a standard mtn bike frame. Any wider rim causes problems w/ cantilever rear brakes. That changes if you mod/build your own frame (sounds like a timely endeavor).

Lots of other reviews in MTBR as well.
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/rim/pls_139crx.aspx

Cheers

Back