100 Mile Club

Green Machine

100 kW
My theory is there is only a handful of es'ers who have done 100 miles in a day on an ebike.This can include charging stops.

My guess is there is way fewer people in the 100 mile club than the 40mph club but at this point this is just a theory.

This thread is to flush out those 100 mile people and to acknowledge that accomplishment.

With any luck maybe this thread in the future will inspire someone to do 100 mile journey of their own. Amateur lycra clad roadbikes do 100 mile rides regularly...i am really curious how rare a 100 mile ebike journey is. Before the summer is over i want to do a 100 mile trip and document it. i have done one once before but never documented.

Kingfish recently completed close to 2000 miles seattle to california which is documented here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28573

The only other really epic ride i know of is Justin Le's trek across canada documented here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7134

Those are the only 2 epic ebike journeys i know of but I am sure there are many others..if you know of one that was documented on ES please post the link.

I will ride with you when you want to do a 100mile ride. We can each throw 5-6kw-hrs on our bikes and do the 100miles averaging over 40mph without stopping to charge. :)

When Justin did the cross canada ride, i did a small part of the ride withhim Between Quebec and La Pocatiere ( 143km)

and i did that on a single charge.

The year after i fully depleated the battery and got 210km on a single charge at 32kmh 20% pedal

I'm in the 130 miles club 8).

When i'll install the 4kWh of kokam 31Ah cells on my trike, i'll be probably able to do Quebec-Montreal ride on a single charge ( 250km) very easy

Right now i'm using 30s 3p of lipo and I use max 1500Wh. but the giant is not made for long ride.. it's made for WOT !

so... it's 30-40km

Doc

SO here is the list..i will continue updating it as we go along.

In general it is best to have proof...pics, entry in a past event, or a thread..or in dr. bass's case a reliable witness. :) In lieu of proof at atleast a good detailed story would be great :). My guess is this is very special club. :wink: Please lets here the story if you have done a 100 mile ride and then welcome to the club.

1. Justin Le (100+ mile)
2. Kingfish (186 mile)
3. Dr Bass (130 mile)
4. Glowwormbiycle (110 miles)
5. MadRhino (100 miles)
6. Josh K (110 miles)
7. Demosthenes (140+)
8. Jerome Daoust (100)
9. Lyen (102)
10. Sangesf (117)
11. drkangel (100)

Longest 1 day ride for me so far was about 110 miles From Chiltern VIC to Seymour VIC. It was part of a 5 day 425 mile ride from Canberra ACT to Melbourne VIC that we did last year.

It's not hard if you charge at lunch and in the evening, carry ~1 kWh and travel under 32 km/h (20 mph) average speed and pedal. If you want a faster average speed and/or pedal less then you better bring more battery! Fast charging is also an option but anytime you stop moving, you waste a lot of time.

Cheers, Abraham

My personal best is a mere 75 miles. But all of it was on a grade of 3-10 % It was a great day in the mountians two years ago.

Check The 101 Club to see if there are more names here :)
Cheers, KF

Green Machine said:
SO here is the list..i will continue updating it as we go along.

In general it is best to have proof...pics, entry in a past event, or a thread..or in dr. bass's case a reliable witness. :)

:D no doubt that my withness was reliable,,, it was Justin !

Doc

I ride sometimes more than 100 miles in one day, about 70 miles of mountain trails and another 40 in town. That is with recharging a few times, and sometimes with 2 different bikes. My everyday ride is usually about half of this.

75m @ roughly 18mph on level ground with 20% pedaling on a 1.4kw with maybe 10-15% left in the pack.

Well, I'm not quite there yet, most miles in a day on a bike, about 70-75, but pedal only.

I did do 63 - 65 miles the second day of my trip to the coast, also no electrics, but soon as Golden Motor gets me my motor, I should be able to record a nice 100 mile day for ya! 8)

Nice job Glowworm. I've definitely done over 100 miles before, and on a single charge. I've since downsized my pack because frankly, I rarely did over 100 miles on a charge. With 3kwh, I can still get over 100 mi on a charge if I take it easy, but what fun is taking it easy? I have my sights on a long-distance ebike world-record attempt... we need to take the title back in the name of ES http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31218&hilit=world+record

:twisted: :twisted:

I haven't done 100 miles on a ebike yet. Maybe next year. The longest so far was this one.

The farthest I've ever been unassisted was 130 miles in 8 hours, but that was in a chain gang most of the way. That was part of a 300 mile, 3 day charity ride from Cork to the Giant's Causeway, when I was young, strong and foolish. I was riding a Sturmey Archer five-speed hub gear and only top, bottom and third still worked. :oops: Not that it mattered because I only used bottom gear once on that ride. :)

I know I'm never going to ride like that again without assistance, but some day I'd like to replicate a ride my uncle did back in the '50s. He was studying near Belfast and cycled to the station to catch the train back to West Cork for the summer holidays. When he missed the train he decided to keep on cycling through the night, and arrived in Cork first thing in the morning - over 200 miles! :shock:

Hey Folks,

Yup, been there, Done that. My Favorite ride is to Boulder and back to fort Collins in a day.

105 miles, 5.5 hours of ride time.

Equipment, Rans recumbent, A123 24v 20ah, Rocha drive-through the gears.

Took my Rans out to Boulder, charged for 2.5 hours, and made it back with 5.5 hours of ride time.

Great ride, nice day. lovin life. I think the 100 mile area is where it is at.

Soon, with Nanotech lithium ion batteries, we will be able to do it, without a charge at mid point, but for now We likes.

Anybody want to come out and ride along the front range, let's go out and play.

Josh K.

If you are allowed to count charging stops then I am in. Rode from Vancouver to Manning Park. Took 17 hours getting there and 11 back, The majority of that being charge time. Was 220km each way. CA trip data was accidentally reset on the way there but I've got data for the trip back.

7hrs 40m 06s (Riding time only, not include charging stops and time when vehicle wasn't in motion)
46.90 Ah
224.2 Km
2389.4 Wh
10.4 Wh/km
29.2 Average Speed
2.6% Regen
48.136 Forward Ah
1.2343 Regen Ah

On August 29, 2010 was my first century ride, where I borrowed an extra 2 batteries (total of 4).
Moderate (strong in canyon at East end) onshore wind.
100.3 mile.
Average moving speed: 21.0 mph. Max speed: 33.4 mph.
Consumed 3 batteries fully and about 90% of 4th one ==> 1872 Wh (3.9 x 48 V x 10 Ah).

The Bike.
The data for the ride.

Is there a secret handshake to this club?

I didn't do a daily tally, but my odometer on my EZip read 500+ miles, after 1 week of testing, my newly homemade Li-ion & Lipo packs.
25.9v 31.2ah Li-ion & 25.92ah Lipo.
I can rack both, and cruise at 18 mph for, very close to, 100 miles ... without charging, or pedaling.
I might build a 2nd 31.2ah Li-ion, just to ensure 100 mile, non-pedal range.

Oh ... 62.4ah of Li-ion weighs almost exactly the same as the oem 10ah of SLA, which only delivers 6.14ah, over 1 hour.

You cruise at 15watt-hours per mile? Cause that's just a relatively tiny 1.5kw-hr pack to be doing 100miles on.

liveforphysics said:
You cruise at 15watt-hours per mile? Cause that's just a relatively tiny 1.5kw-hr pack to be doing 100miles on.

At 18 mph ... no pedal assist!
24v EZip Trailz
over-volted to 25.9
16T re-geared
Fairly level blacktop trail

Capable of 23 mph, but range tested at more efficient 18 mph.

While your priorities seem to be acceleration and top speed ...
My priorities are economy & range.

Above 20mph, wind resistance becomes a major "watt-hog".
This chart approximates that 30mph requires 4x the torque, as 20mph.
40mph, must be much worse!

Combine this with your propensity towards over-amping your motor, (wastes a horrific percentage of electricity) ...
and it becomes obvious that you must be getting a pitiful m/kwh, (miles per kilowatt hour)

I get about 65 m/kwh in economy mode.
Based on electricity a $.10/kwh
And gas at $4/gal
I get 2600 e/mpg (electric or evaluative miles per gallon)

I've been meaning to go on a long e-bike trek. The last long 'efficiency' trip I went on ended up at 22.9wh/mi with a average speed of 14.1 MPH. It was only 34 miles, which happens to be as far as I have ever gone on a single charge. I was at 38% throttle all the time, generally clamped WOT. Top speed like that is closer to 18 MPH, but it wasn't exactly a straight line there. No pedaling, since I don't have a chain or derailers.

Back