If you guys get me killed doing something you suggested, you don't get any of my ebike stuff
The project is coming along.... sloppy and ugly on account of my lack of know how and continual changing of plans. I wish I had some less expensive hobbies and easier hobbies to practice this sort of stuff on. Nothing like having a $1.5k ebike look mad max cause a torque arm...
Almost done though!
I lucked out and found a four foot 1/8th L bracket for only $3. Not strong enough for the torque arm or the plates, so I doubled it up. If I could do it again, I'd use 1/4" (or more). If I could do it again, I would. But I'm busy with school, so this will have to work.
Did my first tap ever tonight! Not bad. I used 1/4" grade 8 bolts coarse thread (because those are stronger?) I'm concerned they might not be strong enough, and might strip the bottom 1/4" plate. I bought lock nuts just in case.
The cool thing about this design is that the top part is permanently fixed, so I just need to remove the four bolts holding on both bottom plates to remove the wheel. That's just one tool I have to carry now! (unless I keep the lock nuts)
Had some trouble lining up the plates to drill. Lil jig.
I was freaking out about paying $15 for a heinman taps to screw into the original rack eyelets. Then I realized they aren't blind and I could just thread a bolt on there and hit the front with a hammer to line up the hole.
Next up is painting the scratched up metal with rustolem, wrapping the chainstays with tire tube, and putting the finishing touches on everything.