Talk to me about magic pie (sounds like an awesome drug)

zombiess

10 MW
But the only drug I'm addicted to is power!

So Liveforphysics brought up this motor as being a good hill climbing motor in the Pikes Peak thread; now I want to know some more specifics on it. Who has played with one of these and what have you gotten out of it. I'm talking about the large diameter thin hub motor without internal controller as seen here.
http://www.goldenmotor.ca/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=138&=SID#MOREINFO

Does it come with halls or is it sensorless?

Is this motor better at shedding heat than others, higher efficiency? I haven't seen any simulators with it so I'm kind of in the dark when it comes to modeling it. For $200 I'm tempted to buy a 16" unit and play with it, but I've already spent way more on this hobby than I ever expected LOL. I'm already quite impressed by my 9c hub motors. Small wheels are definitely where it's at :)

I'm using a 36V 500watt Golden Motor with their external controller. I'm using a home brew Li-Ion (laptop batteries) 60V 20Ah battery. It gets me where I want quick enough for me.
The motor has Hall sensors on it and is brushless. Ahh....I believe I got a picture or two of the insides. I'll dig them up if that will help you answer any questions you have.

I had one for some time and whilst it's not the fastest or mos efficient it is pretty damn reliable. You will need to get a decent controller though for it as the ones magic pie make suck especially the internal one.

But I have nothing bad to say about the motor, nice and torquey if a little slow.

Luke is suggesting that motor as one with big side covers capable of radiating more heat than others. The power he's talking about isn't so much, but the problem in that example is to do it continuously.

Sounds like you want raw power, so I'd suggest you head in the other direction, big fat wide magnets, and heavier motors. Scooter and motorcyle 5000w rated stuff.

dogman said:
Luke is suggesting that motor as one with big side covers capable of radiating more heat than others. The power he's talking about isn't so much, but the problem in that example is to do it continuously.

Sounds like you want raw power, so I'd suggest you head in the other direction, big fat wide magnets, and heavier motors. Scooter and motorcyle 5000w rated stuff.

I'm interested in it for it's heat shedding capabilities an lightness compared to the x5 stuff. I do not want a heavy motor at this point and this motor could be fun to play with and push it's limits.

I'm running one. 1500W @ 41-42mph with Lyen 12fet sensorless controller. Motor kept its cool during the Texas August heatwave. Motor has alot of torque and it does have sensors if want to use them. Currently running on 26s2p A123.

I think of all the hubs I've seen, the magic pie has the most going for it.

snellemin said:
I'm running one. 1500W @ 41-42mph with Lyen 12fet sensorless controller. Motor kept its cool during the Texas August heatwave. Motor has alot of torque and it does have sensors if want to use them. Currently running on 26s2p A123.

What size wheel is it in?

zombiess said:
snellemin said:

What size wheel is it in?

It's in a 26" wheel with a 8 speed freewheel.

It does have the advantage of the larger diameter stator. 1500w seems to be a pretty reasonable top end for true continous use of 9c motors in hot weather too. So it doesn't have to be the pie for that level.

I'd love to test one, but you know me, send it to me free if you want reviews.

I've been doing some reading on their forum (thanks for the link). It doesn't look like there are many people pushing them very hard so not a lot of data.

Does anyone know if the winds are the same throughout the sizes? I haven't been able to tell if that's the case or if they use faster winds on the smaller wheels. I really wish there was an easy way to get more data so I could simulate one. I'm gonna try to guess at some parameters using the ebikecalc17 program and anecdotal info people have posted on the forum.

Just need to make sure that I'd be able to get the target speed for climbing and or top speed.

The pie uses the same windings on all sizes except the 16. normal 48V is 270 RPM, the 16 winds at 420RPM i believe

Very rugged, but internal controller has known issues, and amp limitations.....I have completed nearly 4000 miles on mine, just changed bearings now

I fried the Pie's hall sensors going up a 16% mountain for 2 miles, well actually it made it to the top, it was using regen on the way down that added to the heat. If I had gone further for say a mile or two more it may have burned I don't know, but I do know it will make it to the top after two miles because I drove to the transmitter access gates and ebiked the rest because it's a hell of a lot of effort to walk, even some cars struggle up it, though the gates are no longer left open any more!

I was using 16S LiPo, controller battery amps set to 40 and 70-75 phase not sure which!

Pulling about 2.7-3KW all the way is pretty impressive and the windings were fine, it did smell bad though when I opened her up.

This is probably the steepest most E-bikes will go up and even the most professional cyclists struggle up it, though most avoid it altogether all hubs will probably roast or burn the windings at the power required to get up such grades. Some cars struggle to get up, and you need diesel muscle for sure because it's twisty aswell. The gates are now permanently closed for safety so I wanted to ebike up and you really got to appreciate how steep a 16% climb is, so well done to the Pie, but as I said before I don't know how much further it would have gone!

That is the only time the pie ever got hot, any other hill I could find it eats them.

I would like to increase the amps, but my Infineon no longer programs which is a shame!

I think the ultimate solution is chain drive for the steepest of mountains, to be able to use gears has the ultimate advantage for miles of steep climbs.

Once the motor bogs down a lot then it's time to watch out!

Back