Ezip question

Eddie

1 mW
Hello All
I'm new to forum and e-bikes.I will be buying a Ezip very soon.
I am not so much interested in more speed as I am in range and hill climbing ability.I'm 72 and can't do a lot of peddling.Anyone know of any EASY up grades to help in this endeavor? Maybe getting extra battery pack? I've seen some posts that say it dosen't help that much,or buying a 36V lifePo battery?

Thanks in advance
Ed

Which type of motor is it, hubmotor or the kind that mounts to the side of the wheel? The side mount kind is known to climb well, but it's very long and steep hills that are a problem. Really, this can be true of nearly all bike motors. Going too slow up hills makes the motor make heat from all the power, instead of motion.

So the question becomes how steep for how long are your hills. Most ebikes, as they are, can handle some pretty good rolling hills for rides up to 10 miles long. But one hill that is steep enough and more than a mile long can melt motors. Pedaling hard is the best solution, but not always an option for those with bum knees or other issues.

Typically, hills up to about 8 % are no problem for most ebikes. Only the very weakest fail completely. To some extent it's all about wattage. 1000 w bikes climb much better than 250 watt bikes. You will need at least 400w to climb hills at 5% and not feel like you are slowed down too much.

For crazy steep hills, there are a few types of motors that work much better than an e zip.

Welcome. I sure wish I still have the ability to ride a bicycle at at 72. Wow!

Check out this thread, it's all about the EZip's enhancements'.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25966

Thanks for the welcome.I had already found that thread,it's mostly about improving speed but has some very good tips.
I think the motor is the one on the side from the picture I have from the Wal Mart site.
The hill I have to climb is really a mountian about two miles of up hill,but it's in steps so you have time to build up speed between them.I've seen racing bikes come up it at a pretty good pace but the riders are a lot younger than me.lol

May be you should provide more detailed info about your Ezip. Model, motor, existing battery and a picture. Someone might be able to help.

Adding a battery will definitely help on range, but I doubt it'll help in hill climbing ability. For that you'd need to change/modify the controller and/or the motor, I think. Anyway good luck and enjoy your ebike.

Hi, Iam 74, ride almost every day, I found that a trike is best for me, less chances of dumping it, comfortable seat, stop and rest any time. I added a curry motor to a friends trike, geared it down more for climbing hills, 10mph max, he is happy. My trike is overkill with a 8hp perm 132 that Iam running at 24volts, 2hp~ max, still help it up the hills with leg power to cut down on current, increase range.

All I know is it's a Ezip Trails Men's Electric bike.I think it has 24 volt batterys SLA and I believe a 450 watt motor.

I'm guessing that you will be happy with the oem 16 mph?

Stay away from 36V, it will require a controller upgrade, and lets you overheat your motor - more easily.

I would recommend a 25.9V Lipo, pack upgrade. (Works with oem controller.)
Price on the cells varies greatly, I did multiple ebay biddings.
It might be better to purchase, the RC packs, in-country, or locally, with warranty available.
25.9V RC Lipo build, for EZip - http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26383&start=180#p420123

Combined with a cheap, overnight charger.
Tenergy Intelligent 2A Charger for 25.9V 7S Li-ion / Li-Polymer Battery Pack - $23.63
Should give you almost 4x the oem pack range, with almost 10% better top speed.

24V LiFePO4 is another alternative.
Don't buy the EZip Lithium pack! $400 for only 6.4Ah is outrageous.

DrkAngel
Yes I'm satisfied with the 17 mph speed.But I'm intersted in the battery swap.I'm not interested in the one's you have to build,so I guess the LiFPO4 would be my best bet.It is a complete battery right? It looks like they come in diffrent voltages...so what would I shoot for 24 volt or higher.And I guess I would need a new charger for it also.
I will do the wireing mod on the back wheel for easeir tire changeing,but haven't decided if I'll try and change the gear or not yet maybe later when I become more familar with the bike.
I'm going to be rideing this bike at a local Flea Market that the aisles are up and down a hill. I've been riding my Razor dirt bike there with out any problem.I'll be carrying the bike to the Market in my pickup like I do with my Razor but one day would like to be able to ride it there and back.maybe wishful thinking.It's an 8 mile trip to the Market with the Mountian to climb on the way home when the battery is the weakest.Altho I'm ok riding a bike at my age 72 is the new 50 but don't tell my knees that.lol.

I hope this post works I tried posting three times on another thread but they didn't work.Don't know why or what I did wrong.But it don't matter because I settled on the Ezip after rereading all the posts on here.Ordered it today at Wal Mart,my wife works there so I got it for 404.08 plus tax.It should be in next Friday.

Eddie said:
I hope this post works I tried posting three times on another thread but they didn't work.Don't know why or what I did wrong.But it don't matter because I settled on the Ezip after rereading all the posts on here.Ordered it today at Wal Mart,my wife works there so I got it for 404.08 plus tax.It should be in next Friday.

Hi Eddie, I'm sure you'll do fine with your new EZip. But the stock battery (lead) will not do 8 miles with a hill. Unless of course your legs are suppling at least half the power required to move that bike. DO NOT change the freewheel gear. This is a good modificatio to add speed. But it will kill you on the hill your talking about. Your bike can handle up to about 29.6v. A 24v lifepo4 battery fresh off the charger will be about 29.2v but it will drop very quickly to 25.6 and below. As DrkAngel already stated the lifepo4 packs sold by Currie are very small AH and very over priced. Of course they will fit right into your battery carrier. They will offer you more power because they have less voltage sag then the lead battery. But if your talking 8 miles each way there's no way that battery can do it. Not even with the lead battery when it goes dead. IF you need to do 16 miles round trip with a big hill each way and little or no peddling I would question if a 20AH lifepo4 battery would do it ether.

I would recommend you get the bike first and ride it for a while on short trips. The ndecide if you want to get more battery power and we can help point you in a good direction. Like DrkAngel I have a lot of riding time on EZips and we know what they can and can not do.

Good Luck and have fun with it.

Bob

Thanks Bob
Yes, I know I will eventuality up grade the battery system.I only have to climb the hill on the way home and I can peddle fair for short distances,knock on wood lol.and thanks for the warning on changeing the gear,I think the main mods besides the battery will be a good seat,and better tires and a basket.
I'll also try and see how far I can go in steps a little farther each day.
Also to others seniors here I'd suggest taking up Tai Chi.I think thats whats helped me to still have good balance and be able to ride a bike even if it is for short distances.

Ed

Well Eddie at 72 your a little ahead of me. I'm only 64. I highly recommend a suspension seat post. However it depends on how tall you are because it extends the seat's min height. That along with a nice wide seat helps a lot. I've tried several over the last 5 years and hinally found one I love. I'll look to see what kind it is and post it. I remember I bought it locally at Wallie World or some place like that. I use a crank Brother Thud Buster seat post. Expensive but a butt saver. But even a $30 suspension post from EBay helps a lot.

Personally I don't think the tires are that bad. But DrkAngel has posted he has had great results from tires from Wallie World but I don't know which ones.

There is a guy that I have been talking to that has 2 slightly used Currie lifepo4 packs. He basicly moved and sold his bike shortly after buying the 2 packs. He kept the 2 packs hoping to use them on another bike. However, he has now decided to go with different batteries. He may be interested in selling them. Price is unknown to me though. With these 2 packs you should be in good shape. You could then sell the pack that comes with the bike. Just a thought...........

Bob

You know how loud those bikes are right? As long as you are ok with the noise you should be happy with the bike. If anything, go with a swap to a slower gear for hills. You can always volt up later if you want to get back some speed.

I had one.

Loud. ( maybe it's less loud these days, but mine was like pedaling a powertool )
Good takeoff, but Bad hill climbing ability.
Heavy.
Rear wheel is a pain in the ass to get off and seemed to result in grease covered hands every time for me.

Can't recommend it. Even a small 350w geared motor kit would be an improvement in every way.

Has anyone or everyone ever came to a consensus as to adding the extra OEM battery pack for added range?
Or changing to the 12 volt 18 amp batterys that weigh the same as the OEM one's.

consensus: it results in lower voltage sag and a doubling of range, but the bike is already heavy as hell stock, and i forget if the motor and battery counterbalance each other with the most current design.. but adding the 2nd battery introduces some disbalance making the bike want to fall down to one side or the other when sitting still.

Annually, near Christmas, EZips have been selling in the $300 - $350 range.
A good "starter" ebike, or eabike. (electric assist bike)

As soon as you get it, do the T-plug mod, a very simple electrical mod that makes rear wheel removal about as simple as a normal wheel.

file.php

If you want 20 mph capability, and improved torque, above 10 mph, do the 16T mod.
It is important to do the 16T mod before motoring, or else you might have to cut the freewheel off.

Attachments

• T-Plug01.JPG
    T-Plug01.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,985
Eddie said:
Has anyone or everyone ever came to a consensus as to adding the extra OEM battery pack for added range?
Or changing to the 12 volt 18 amp batterys that weigh the same as the OEM one's.
Well the first battery comes with the bike, so it's tough to justify saying that buying a second battery pack is throwing good money after bad ... but , I'll still say it!

18Ah SLA batteries will weigh about twice as much as the oem 10Ah batteries! And won't fit in the racks.

I have to agree, carrying more lead is a poor idea. But the Ezip will perform a lot nicer with a replacement, much lighter, lifepo4 battery. A 24v 15 ah pingbattery for instance. you'd have some more range, and only weigh about 8 pounds. Even better, a 20 ah.

I don't know enough to suggest whether it's good to go to 36v. I'm assuming it's the 24v one btw.

Eddie said:
Lead Acid batteries were developed in the early to mid 20th century.
Sealed Lead Acid, a bit later , but ... still ... an antique - inefficient - obsolete technology, hanging on as a cheap way to get a "functional" ebike to the consumer.

18Ah SLA batteries will weigh about twice as much as the oem 10Ah batteries! And won't fit in the racks.
10Ah SLA batteries will output about 6Ah.
18Ah SLA ... only about 10Ah.

My best deal was a 2008 Trailz, from Toys-R-Us, about $275 w/tax & shipping, then I sold the battery & charger to an EZipin' neighbor for $145.
Bought a charger & PCB, then built 2 recycled Li-ion 25.9V 31.2Ah packs.
Then did the 16T upgrade.
Result - 20 mph capable ebike, with 80+ mile range, for less than $300!

If you intend on running the bike for more than 1 year. almost any type battery is cheaper than SLA!
Nimh, Lipo, Li-ion, LiFePO4 ...

You paid for the first battery, either use it up, shouldn't take long, or ... sell it to some sucker who wants a second battery, then put the money towards something better?

dogman said:
I have to agree, carrying more lead is a poor idea. But the Ezip will perform a lot nicer with a replacement, much lighter, lifepo4 battery. A 24v 15 ah pingbattery for instance. you'd have some more range, and only weigh about 8 pounds. Even better, a 20 ah.

I don't know enough to suggest whether it's good to go to 36v. I'm assuming it's the 24v one btw.

They do very nicely with a lifepo4 24v 20ah pack. And if you do it right you can still mount the pack into the battery carrier on the rear wheel. I used Thunder Sky 20ah cells and have been very happy. Actually I run twin motors and twin TS packs on mine.

OMG what have I gotten myself into:-(

Are there any usa dealers for the pingbatterys?What are the shipping charges like?Are they plug in and go or do they require a lot of mods before you can use them?

I'm really not interested in building battery packs.

Eddie said:
OMG what have I gotten myself into:-(

Are there any usa dealers for the pingbatterys?What are the shipping charges like?Are they plug in and go or do they require a lot of mods before you can use them?

I'm really not interested in building battery packs.

The only P&P pack you can buy for an EZip is the lead pack that come with the bike and a new lifepo4 pack that is very over priced. However, it is much lighter and is a lifepo4 battery with a little more range. None of the other packs including Ping is P&P. For all pack you need to find a way to mount it plus you need to add a plug in method. But if you don't mind the added weight of a Ping on top of the battery rack it's not a major project. Just strap it down and plug it in and away you go. It comes with a charger and BMS so you shouldn't have a big problem there ether. IF you go for the Currie lifepo4 pack try talking them in price. Some people have gotten a discount for it.

As for the pack that will come with your new bike. Be sure to fully charge it before you use it. Also look at the shipping carton the bike comes in. It should have a date of manufacturing on it. And if the batter comes in a box see if it has a date on it. I am telling you this because a lot of bikes have been sitting in warehouses for a long time. The batteries don't like to sit without being charged and can be effected. So if you find any problem with range call Currie right away and tell them you are getting less then 5 miles range from the battery and they will replace if free of charge. They may request you to pay shipping but tell them no way not on a new bike. They will put you on hold for several minutes so don't hang up. They are just getting the Ok to pay for your shipping. If this actually happens to you and you get a second pack you can still use the first pack or you can replace the batteries within it. Bottom line you have 2 lead packs that will double your range. If I bought a new EZip I would pray the battery was bad so I could get a second pack as a freebie. I have 2 EZips for my wife and I and out batteries were only so - so and I should have had them replaced but I didn't relize Currie would replace them. O'Well!!

Bob

Back