Single Speed Freak!!

Grizzlybear

100 W
I've got the single speed bug! it's so liberating, no gear changes, no clanky derailleurs, I was always in top gear anyway!
Anybody else seen the light?

Works great in the city if you don't have much climbing to do, and I agree it's great for short trips, no need to shift when the light changes, but I still prefer at least a IGH of some sort, not even downtown Portland is flat enough, but I have seen plenty being used.

More of the functionality with next to nothing to go wrong for a "beater" bike that you can abuse and now worry about derailleurs not working, chains slipping, but if you have good quality components that won't be an issue anyway. :)

i was thinking about just doing a singlespeed (only the top gear), or maybe only having the rear derailleur and having the chain fixed to the biggest cog on the crank. for an ebike i think im looking for the most simple solution possible. but i also want to be able to pedal with it hard while accelerating and mildly while cruising.

I recently re discovered chain wear :evil:
The gear chains are designed different. Do the single speed set-ups have better wear char?

Grizzlybear said:
I've got the single speed bug! it's so liberating, no gear changes, no clanky derailleurs, I was always in top gear anyway!

Not me for sure. I'm still scratching my head trying to understand why people would ditch their multi-speed in favor of a single speed. Seems like many steps backward to me. I can be in top gear all the time too by simply not touching the shifters. But when I'm facing a 10% grade, I know for certain I won't have to walk my bike.

I'm with Sam, I want at least 5 speeds when the bike breaks down and I'm pedlaling home. It's uphill to home for me. But mainly I ride in top gear on any paved road.

SamTexas said:
Not me for sure. I'm still scratching my head trying to understand why people would ditch their multi-speed in favor of a single speed. Seems like many steps backward to me.

Couldn't agree more, although i am thinking about multi speed powered drive train not the manual pedal drive train, if
i could pedal though i would definitely want gears...

KiM

I never understood the point of 10+ gears when I'm only going to use 2. If I'm only gonna use and appreciate 2 gears then it's not much of a loss to have just 1.

Gears are for sissies. :p

Like many other sports, it is the "purist" way. I have to agree, for commuting in a flat city single speed is the way to go on a non powered bike. Once you try it you won't want to go back. It is amazing how much they charge for single speed bikes and parts when there aren't really any parts.

If you watch most people in town, they never shift anyway.

If there are hills involved, then give me gears for peddling. Or if there is power involved, give me gears to keep the motor and controller happy and have acceleration and top end.

Clay

I don't think "purists" would be members of ES. I'm pretty sure that the lycra clad people are purists, but I have yet to find one that ride a single speed road bike.

Having worked in bike shops for several years, I would bet that some of the lycra crowd has a single speed to commute on when they aren't racing. Lycras aren't purists in the sport, they are baby boomers that ride to the coffee shop or are racers. The purists are the hardcore commuters and bike shop employees that sleep and breath cycling. Most of the mechanics I know have single speeds to commute or mt bike with. Yes they are a small group, but true purists usually are.

Clay

Yup, I ride singlespeed and I love it!

I ride a singlespeed roadbike. I ride it over the mountains. Geared riders don't keep up :)

Oh, and I wear lycra.. sometimes. When things get serious. Never had to pay for it though (sponsors do)

Gears are fine, we're not build the same so why should we all ride the same, huh??

ZOMGVTEK said:
My bike lost the chain months ago and I don't miss it.

Chains are silly.

It's probably quieter now too without the freewheel chattering, as long as the pedals don't fall off - cause ya need a place to put your feet 8)

geetarboy said:
ZOMGVTEK said:
My bike lost the chain months ago and I don't miss it.

Chains are silly.

It's probably quieter now too without the freewheel chattering, as long as the pedals don't fall off - cause ya need a place to put your feet 8)

That is it. Its damn near silent coasting along at 10 MPH. I removed the freewheel, since it would spin around sometimes over bumps or during hard acceleration without a chain to hold it back.

My only complaint is that the pedals flop about without feet on them. They would just sit there and spin for a minute or so if you let them go. It's somewhat surprising. I need horrific bearings or to just weld the thing.

Grizzlybear said:
Since derailleurs aren't needed for internal hub gear systems, you open more than one issue. But I'll simplify by rephrasing your post: Are multiple gear ratio drive systems appropriate for the human powered element of e-bikes? And I'll simplify further by assuming the "e" part of the e-bike isn't totally reliable, powerful, or desirable.
To this question, the answer is Yes if you encounter different riding conditions. The human animal produces a pedaling cadence of adequate force in only a narrow range. Because of that, between your feet and the asphalt, you need to incorporate a range of mechanical ratios. The better question is what should the ratio range (the proportionate total transition between the low and high ratio, usually called Gear Range) be?
A 14 speed Rohloff Speedhub, a topoftheline internal hub system, will give you 526% (price = [# of speed ratios] x $100). The typical modern 2-derailleur system that everybody has, produces a range of maybe 350%. A "ten-speed" (2 front sprockets & 5 rear) of yesteryear, 250%. The Sturmey-Archer S2 Kick-Shift Internally Geared Hub has a range of only 138%, but I'm considering it because it's cheap (<$75), has no cables, and can take a belt drive.
STURMEY-ARCHER+2010-2011+Catalogue+(A2)+(Low-Res)_Page_76.jpg

I'm in the process of converting my a2b ulta motor bike to single speed. The freewheel kept making a clicking noise that people could hear a block away. I noticed that I never shifted this and that the shifter was getting difficult to engage. So, I made the decision to simplify. I live in Florida, so hills are not a problem. I'm not sure of the best way to do this. I've ordered a few parts, but if anyone has some suggestions, I'm interested what others have done.

1. Freewheel replacement: Shimano Single Speed Bicycle Freewheel http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011YEAZ0
This is a 16t replacement for an 11t. I couldn't find an 11t. I will increase the crank size to compensate.

2. Crankset: Tracer 52T Single Crankset http://www.utahtrikes.com/PRODINFO-Tracer_52T_Single_Crankset.html

3. Chain: single speed KMC Z410 Bicycle Chain http://www.amazon.com/KMC-Z410-Bicycle-1-Speed-8-Inch/dp/B001RPU3P4/ref=pd_sim_sg_2

4. Tensioner: I may need this, Shimano Alfine Chain Tensioners http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GSKOSS/ref=wms_ohs_product

Good Reference: Single Speed Conversion http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

If I had a daily ride that a fixie was appropriate for, I never would have even gone electric. 15 mostly uphill miles to home means at some point once in a while I'll end up riding some of it on an unpowered bike. Typically because of a charger problem or just 40 mph headwind. That's the day I'm awful glad I still have a low gear.

Fixie ebikes are plenty cool, and the right tool for many. Just not for me because I live 800 feet above the town.

dogman said:
If I had a daily ride that a fixie was appropriate for, I never would have even gone electric. 15 mostly uphill miles to home means at some point once in a while I'll end up riding some of it on an unpowered bike. Typically because of a charger problem or just 40 mph headwind. That's the day I'm awful glad I still have a low gear.

Fixie ebikes are plenty cool, and the right tool for many. Just not for me because I live 800 feet above the town.[/quote

No it's not for everyone, but if you can go single speed, it's an absolute joy and I'm loving it, and I live up a big hill as well, and my daily ride is only 250 watts.

15 mile long big hill?

Depends on your age too. I used to ride daily from the west side of Santa Fe to the ski area. 14 and not laid yet, I had ENERGY! Now, at 54 I really climb a hill slow without a motor. I used to ride to work at the steak house at 16, up the same hill I climb home on now. Then I'd shift all the way from 10th to 7th. Now If I pedaled that hill I'd be in 21st. Anwhere ese, it was rode like a fixie, doing trackstands at the lights in my toe straps. It is a nice way to ride, when young and having legs that can make the rear tire spin in high gear.

Gears are for us grey hairs. I may not use em when the motor works, but when it doesn't, I thank god I have 21 gears.

dogman said:
Gears are for us grey hairs. I may not use em when the motor works, but when it doesn't, I thank god I have 21 gears.
^^+ 1
someone should let Lance Armstrong, Contador, Evans, etc ..in on this incredible "single speed" secret ! :roll:

Lets be honest, Gears have developed out of practical necessity and to improve efficiency.
..Single speed and "fixie" bikes are the cyclists equivalent of a womans Prada handbag , a .. "Fashion" .. or .." look at me" .. statement, as a spin off from track bikes that are designed for a single purpose .. high speed Velodrome track races.
Its a bit like using a Bonneville salt racer to do the shopping in. !

Anyone who thinks a derailleur gear set is complicated or high maintenance should be real worried about a few other issues they are likely to meet in life !

As I said they are not for everyone. There's no "one is better than the other". Ever.

Oh and one more thing - I think you are confusing fixies and singlespeeds.

Back