What is a crystalyte "sparrow" motor?

mlt34

100 kW
Electricrider.com's xlyte sparrow: What is it? I have an old one laying around that I'm considering for a few projects and I'd like to learn more about it and find some more specs on it.

The "roadrunner" is a xlyte 4 series, the "phoenix" is a xlyte 5 series, so what is a "sparrow?"

Also does anyone know if these motors are still being manufactured since Electric Rider stopped selling them? Thanks!

If a standard hubmotor is a "frock", then the Sparrow is a leather pair of pants with the ass cut out for easy access....

Yeah, the sparrow is for bird brains. I melted one like it down quite quickly since brushed motors make about 20% more heat than brushless. Good only for the short rides, and I have a long ride. When they get hot, the epoxy on the magnets gets liquid, and centripital force then slings em all over inside the motor. Great design.

My son runs one at over 2000 watts. It survives fine but it is in a 16" wheel. Justin confirmed from his test notes the "gearing" of these is even higher than a 404 brushless motor. Some what like a 403 would be, so if you put one in a 26" wheel it is not going to be happy!

Philistine said:
If a standard hubmotor is a "frock", then the Sparrow is a leather pair of pants with the ass cut out for easy access....
Haha lol bird brains lol etc. I fried a sparrow and kept replacing the brushes llol :D :shock:

Back