Pulling A Tyre Directly Onto A Hub Motor, Any Hub Motor.

Anyone ever done this? Specifically, I bought some nice plans from Atomic Zombie website and I wanted to make an alteration or variation on one of the plans. Instead of using a mid-mounted chain-drive motor, I wanted to fit a plain old geared Ananda or Cute motor and pull some sort of a thick rubber hoop onto it. No tube. Like a giant O-Washer pulled onto the motor.

This is the bike in question.

small2.jpg

small1.jpg

It basically wouldn't even be a tyre, it would be a glorified fat rubber band with some traction.

I'm curious if this could be done, at all.

Many thanks.

Maybe a place that repairs forklift tires and other hard rubber industrial wheels could help you out.

Just something to think about, how much of a thrashing is this motor going to get without much protection in the form of a proper tire.

The fork lift tire is not a bad idea.
You could drill lateral holes in it, to make it flex.

Like those
[youtube]ri_2bUGYvqQ[/youtube]

Golden motor sells 16" aluminum hub motor wheels with no spokes and the rim surface is about 1 inch above the hub itself.. may be too big for what you're looking for, but yeah.

Many powerchair / wheelchair tires are solid tires, or have a solid rubber core. Some are quite small rim diameter, and could probalby be mounted directly between the spoke flanges of a hubmotor.

Back