Gas Prices Rising Fast

boppinbob

1 kW
Gasoline prices are going up fast. Due to previous experience I know that $4.00 a gallon is the event horizon when the guy's at work quit calling me PeeWee Herman and call me a genius when I ride my electric bicycle into the parking lot at the plant.
Regards, Robert Pate
Houston, Tx

Hi Amigafan2003
Where are you located. That pricing would really hurt in the US. People would be leaving their gas guzzlers by the side of the road, abandoned.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
Hi Amigafan2003
Where are you located. That pricing would really hurt in the US. People would be leaving their gas guzzlers by the side of the road, abandoned.
otherDoc

UK :) - £1.349 a litre for petrol - £1.449 for diesel :shock:

Wow! Lucky you Britts have some fuel efficient cars. We would be hurtin at those prices. Ebikes would start to be a way of life here at 9.50 per gallon.
otherDoc

93 octane is already over $4.10/gallon in Buffalo, NY and is slowly climbing.

I don't see what all the big fuss is about, when most people drive 10-15 thousand miles a year. $1,xxx a year on fuel isn't terribly expensive in the grand scheme of car ownership.

I was chart-surfing gasbuddy.com and got an appreciation for the price diversity from state to state and Canada... :shock:
(not sure if it is showing imperial gallons in CA)

http://www.gasbuddy.com/retail_price_chart.aspx

ZOMGVTEK said:
93 octane is already over $4.10/gallon in Buffalo, NY and is slowly climbing.

I don't see what all the big fuss is about, when most people drive 10-15 thousand miles a year. $1,xxx a year on fuel isn't terribly expensive in the grand scheme of car ownership.

Exactly. If gas goes really high, I just see a big increase in popularity. When dinner for two is $40+ then $40/wk in case is nothing to many people.

Exactly. If gas goes really high, I just see a big increase in popularity. When dinner for two is $40+ then $40/wk in case is nothing to many people.

I didn't realize there are so many wealthy people on the forum!

A $40 a week increase for gas will cripple many here, when you figure a cost of living or raise, is less than 1/2 of that!.

And it won't be the cost of drving but the increases in other needed things, like food, heat and electricity! Which will affect eveyone, except the ones that have money to burn.
Dan

Don't forget that by driving a car not only are you being "taken for a ride" with regards to the price of fuel. You are also keeping up the demand for oil and supporting all the BS wars going on around the world in the struggle to control The flow of oil. Innocent young men and women both soldiers and civilians being killed for that overpriced bullshit.

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

I think of your gas was $6.99 like it is here your country would be at a standstill

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

Iran threatening to shut off oil supplies + wall street...
We carpool in a 4 cylinder car, so me and my lady don't do too bad.. :)

Necessity is the mother of invention and many will turn to the electric side of things, just as they did very heavily in 2008. I remember 3 eBike shops popping up in my area in 1 year!

€157.9 cent for petrol. Which works out at €7.10 per gallon. (€5.97 U.S. gallon)
€153.9 cent for diesel working out at €6.92 a gallon. (€5.82 U.S. gallon)

The weakening euro and the rising dollar is rising prices plus some refineries have closed due to being uncompetitive allowing the others to raise their prices.
http://pumps.ie/viewPost.php?Post_ID=780

I found out about the margins that petrol stations make from petrol - let's just say if they sold only fuel they would be out of business very fast.
That's probably a good reason why some use green, smuggled diesel (red in the U.K.). It also came up recently that many stations were delivering less fuel than what the pumps were stating - increasing their margins illegally in the process.

BATFINK wrote:
Stop driving those huge gas guzzling crappy cars.
I drive a small efficient crappy car.

i stopped driving in 1983 but everything else keeps going up with the cost of oil.

We have plenty of reserves here in the states but the cost still rises! Is that because we ship it out to make more money and bring it back at a higher price?

Dan

Our reserves are mostly expensive to get, high carbon/sulfur/etc products that don't meet our emissions standards.
So we ship them to another part of the world with lower standards.

...everyone knows that none of these emissions blow around in the wind or accumulate in the atmosphere, so it makes complete sense :lol: :lol:

Just your regularly scheduled spring jack up of crude prices. They are so good at it now.

First draw straws which oil producer makes noise, then pay the usual media types to hype the "shortage". Gas will be 6 bucks by summer, bla bla bla. Then wait and laugh their guts out at us for falling for it AGAIN! Meanwile megabank smells a bubble and runs with it, amplifying the profits for the producers. 8) Last year was convenient, a revolution in Libya let the other producers avoid having to draw straws. Or maybe Libya drew the straw, so they GAVE them a revolution? Iran drew it this year.

Maybe I'm just seeing second gunmen on the grassy hill, but really, it's so precicely scheduled to get the price up for the summer travel season. It's just too transparently scheduled every year. Sure there are natural reasons we use more in summer, but they have to give it that extra kick every spring now. Sooo much more money to be made, how could they be so dumb they aren't sticking it to us.

On the bright side, my state govt gets the budget balanced when oil and natural gas go up enough. :roll:

guys in the US...you are so lucky as you have reserve currency of the world status...this is why UK & Europe works out $9+ a gallon and you guys only pay <$5.00..

but the worst is to come...America is no longer a AAA credit rated country and will soon loose world reserve status..China and Russia already back a group of international currencies/gold instead of petro dollars...

you see as world reserve currency all oil is bought in dollars, meaning any other country has to exchange to dollars then buy its oil...USA does not...so has the pleasure of if it needs cheaper/or more oil it can just print more dollars...No one else can do this as their currency will only buy a certain amount of dollars but this is set to change VERY SOON...this is why the US has been on a WAR streak to own as much of the worlds remaining oil..

Things will get very hard for the average American and their fuel oblivious ways.. the moment you loose reserve status (any day now really-well within a year or two) your fuel will cost as much as the rest of the world, but your economy is based around cheap oil... if oil rises by 30-40% then so does nearly everything in the economy because it takes oil to make it and send it to its destination..don't think there are anywhere near enough US reserves to last... I only speak in hindsight as Britain held world reserve status untill the late 70s when all currency was backed against sterling.. but when we lost the privileged status we received the nickname the old poor man of Europe. this resulted in a mass rise in all goods, as shortage of power. all grid power was off after 10pm and there was only a 4 day working week.

I don't actually remember this as I'm not quite that old but I have detailed accounts off many elder people I know and have studied the subject in detail.

This is all without including the fact that peak oil has passed and we have 20-30 yrs of oil left at today's levels but they are growing exponentially so lucky if there will be 10-15.

not to be a doom monger! :D it will be very good for EV business! yay.. but just to ponder a moment on EV saving the world (as I hope it may)..

we never think about how much oil we actually use.. it actually takes 9 barrels of oil to make one car tire..maybe half to make one for a bike..but when it runs out how do we make more tyres..we will have to be bloody clever.. power is easy,theres a giant nuclear fusion reactor in the sky.. materials and manufacture are not! (although any plastic or man made petrochemical fibre such as nylon can be made from a certain Plant!! and so can the oil)

Model T Ford was made of Hemp and was supposed to run on Bio Ethanol (from hemp) in fact henry ford petitioned the government to grow forests and forests of it (it re grows in 8-12 weeks) so the US would have a fully renewable energy source.. obviously Rockerfella Standard Oil and Dupont petro chemicals put a stop to that and got it made illegal too..only took a couple of (untrue propaganda) films like reefer madness about stoned colored people aggressively harassing white women and that was that!!...hemp was no more! (and hence same goes for its sister)

so maybe EV needs a partner if it is to truly save the world! :wink: :wink:

Joseph C. said:
€157.9 cent for petrol. Which works out at €7.10 per gallon. (€5.97 U.S. gallon)

The weakening euro and the rising dollar is rising prices plus some refineries have closed due to being uncompetitive allowing the others to raise their prices.

I found out about the margins that petrol stations make from petrol - let's just say if they sold only fuel they would be out of business very fast.
That's probably a good reason why some use green, smuggled diesel (red in the U.K.). It also came up recently that many stations were delivering less fuel than what the pumps were stating - increasing their margins illegally in the process.

Hi Joseph,

I think you will find that works out at about 8 USD here mate.

Where I am it's about 1.60 now, Diesel about 2-3 cent behind.

o00scorpion00o said:
Joseph C. said:

Hi Joseph,

I think you will find that works out at about 8 USD here mate.
Where I am it's about 1.60 now, Diesel about 2-3 cent behind.

Those are the average prices - according to pumps.ie

Yes, much more expensive on this side of the pond.

I would imagine it would still be cheaper over here when you factor in all the costs they are paying. There are no wars (apart from the U.K.) that the public has to fund. At least over here it only targets people who actually drive. However, you know all this already. :mrgreen:

Sorry Joseph, I saw you posted in Euros, I thought that was usd I saw. :!:

I wish I could afford a Nissan leaf and be able to install solar pv and wind turbine! :cry:

The same day iran announced to stop distribution to europe gas rised here... Now i spend 1/5 part of my wage on gas.... And i work relatively close to home, i guess i will eventually sell my car and make my bike rainproof, maybe with a gore tex jacket i can go to work on my bike everyday ;)

Back