Schwalbe or Maxxis or Kenda

boppinbob

1 kW
I need a new back rim so while im lacing in the rim I'll go all out and get a new tire as well. the cheap generic knobbies on my cheap V2100 are crap anyway. Maxxis Hookworm's are so wide (2.5) I haven't even seen tubes that go that big. Will a 2.35 tube work in it? Then there is Schwalbe Big Apple's...and I was looking at these Kenda tires http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Bicycle-Blackwall-26-Inch-1-95-Inch/dp/B002DX1DWG/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2 BTW I ride on the street and it's all flat. Houston TX. Please don't make me decide on my own.

Tubes are available up to 3 in

Hookworms are the best of those 3 for performance on pavement

boppinbob said:
I need a new back rim so while im lacing in the rim I'll go all out and get a new tire as well. the cheap generic knobbies on my cheap V2100 are crap anyway. Maxxis Hookworm's are so wide (2.5) I haven't even seen tubes that go that big. Will a 2.35 tube work in it? Then there is Schwalbe Big Apple's...and I was looking at these Kenda tires http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Bicycle-Blackwall-26-Inch-1-95-Inch/dp/B002DX1DWG/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2 BTW I ride on the street and it's all flat. Houston TX. Please don't make me decide on my own.

I'd go with the Schwalbe but it is a personal decision.

I don't think the Kenda tyres are in the same league as the other two and are often included with inexpensive bicycles to reduce the cost. I had a Kenda 1.95 inch tyre and it disintegrated on me. Although it was very old. :mrgreen:

I'd still remove that option from the list though.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Big Apples are Kevlar-lined the others are not.

Joseph C. said:
I don't think the Kenda tyres are in the same league as the other two ...

They are. Kenda makes a better racing gum than Schwalbe, that is why it wouldn't last as long. Maxxis is about even with Kenda for gum adherence. Schwalbe makes better puncture protection and harder casing. If you want a good bicycle tire for Ebike performance, buy a big volume clincher with soft gum, the thread is up to you according to the terrain that you ride.

Studebiker;

Maxxis ringworm comes in 20", almost like hookworm but at 1.75, used on my front wheel.

Also I'd like to make this hypothesis: A tire like the hookworm that will take 110 psi will eliminate a pinch flat upon hitting a deep pothole but the force will be transmitted to the aluminum rim cracking it or making a flat spot on the rim. Does that sound logical? Personally I'd prefer a pinch flat blow the tube than a ruined rim.

MadRhino said:
Joseph C. said:
I don't think the Kenda tyres are in the same league as the other two ...

They are. Kenda makes a better racing gum than Schwalbe, that is why it wouldn't last as long. Maxxis is about even with Kenda for gum adherence. Schwalbe makes better puncture protection and harder casing. If you want a good bicycle tire for Ebike performance, buy a big volume clincher with soft gum, the thread is up to you according to the terrain that you ride.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that, MadRhino.

In my case I don't need performance but I do need puncture protection and longevity.

I just put a set of the 26x2.5 hookworms on a wek ago, and i love them !!!

chisixer6 said:
Studebiker;

Maxxis ringworm comes in 20", almost like hookworm but at 1.75, used on my front wheel.

Hookworms actually come in 16" & 20". That's what I'm using now on the Bike E, but I feel like the Holy Rollers have better grip on pavement and especially on gravel.

Hookworm 26x2.5 ftw!

My hookworm tires haven't flat for almost 2 years brutal abuse on my ebike. :lol:

I would suggest get Mr. Tiffy tire liner (brown one for 2.25-2.5"), heavy duty very thick tube and with hookworm set. You will NEVER will have flat tire for long time.

Here the heavy duty very thick can do 2.30-2.75" tube. http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Bicycl...sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1331003954&sr=1-42

Mr. Tiffy tire brown liner: http://www.bikebling.com/Mr-Tuffy-T...Brown-Twin-Pack-p/mrtuffy-tireliner-brown.htm

studebiker:
I LOVE the Holy Rollers. I think they would be perfect for Houston. I only wish they came in 16" & 20"
I am a fan of Kenda's K-rad for hard dirt & street riding. I have these on a 24" bmxer & they are available in 20" also.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=2410
Been very impressed with these & i am traction snob when it comes to off roading.
never owned any schwables so no advice there...& I know the lower priced kenda quality can be ht & miss...(bought some colored "kontacts" for a build & they were scrap....buldges & kinked bead wires from getting folded for shipping)

Just to muddy the water a bit :mrgreen:

I got some CST 24 x 2.4 and 26 x 2.4 tires some time ago.
I understand they are made by the same company that makes Hookworms: Maxxis
I find them to be of good quality but can't say how they stand up to Hookworms or Kenda or Schwalbe...

After trying Kenda 838's I had to order Maxxis Hookworms. They weren't that expensive but I had to deal with grief from my wife. They came in while I was on vacation so I put them on today and gave them a test ride. Can't tell too much difference, a little bit of skidding when I stop fast from 40 to 0. Mainly they look really cool.

Yep, the hookworms look awsome.

You've seen mine a couple of posts up. I just recently added some avid elixer 5 203mm discs- I havent had a problem with skidding at all with these tires. My bike practically stops on a dime.

Could you maybe have hit a little sand or something?

KHS full suspension
18 FET Lyen controller / HS 3540
52v lithium ion polymer
With an 18 FET Lyen controller and an HS 3540 I know you can do 72v at 40 or 50 amps or better. I'll bet your using 52v because you need the distance more than speed, right?

boppinbob said:
KHS full suspension
18 FET Lyen controller / HS 3540
52v lithium ion polymer
With an 18 FET Lyen controller and an HS 3540 I know you can do 72v at 40 or 50 amps or better. I'll bet your using 52v because you need the distance more than speed, right?

No actually i will be going to 78v next week. I hadnt been able to afford the extra battery till now. Also i wanted to upgrade the brakes and install DRBASS's torque arms which i got done this week.(ive got pics -i believe on the last page or the one before in Doc's torque arm thread)

Gotta make the bike safe before adding the power.

I live in a small town and never have had to ride more than 14miles to get anywhere ive needed. NAW, i want more speed than range! Ive got the addiction...lol

richirich1113 said:
I live in a small town and never have had to ride more than 14miles to get anywhere ive needed. NAW, i want more speed than range! Ive got the addiction...lol
Then, you will be happy to know that your motor-controller combo, with little mod, can survive 100v 100A. I do it with a 55 pound build and it is a beast. It is on Hookworms, to get back on topic. :wink:

P1&P2.Spanaway.jpg

Hookworms all the way around. 26" in front, and 24" on the rear and trailer. However - the Best tires for ebike mtb's road use 24inch suggests the 24" Hookworms are no longer manufactured: That is a drag; it took a me a long time to source 2-ply Hookworms (2010 was the last year made) and now this?!? One of the many reasons why I am migrating to DOT-rated tires. :roll:

<sigh> KF

I commute in Houston and use 26x2.3 Michelin Pilot Sport. Really grippy and can take corners well at higher speeds. Fastest I have gone with them is 45mph and run very smooth.

DSC05317.jpg

DSC05305.jpg

+1
StudEbiker wrote: For pavement and the occasional gravel, I LOVE the Holy Rollers. I think they would be perfect for Houston. I only wish they came in 16" & 20"
http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Urban/Holy-Roller.aspx

I run 2.4 holy rollers at 18lbs of pressure on a rigid bike and they are the bomb. If you hit any dirt or gravel on the road you will be risking loosing traction, not so much with Holy Rolllers. They also have great traction for mild off road, park, beach etc. The only downside the tire with the motor wears out in 6 months ( Cuzz they are grippy and I like to haul A$$).

I got bunch of Cyclops CST 26 x 2.4" tires (Same company made Hookworm tires) for my Yuba Mundo cargo bike and I bummed when I was looking for the heavy duty thorn resistant tube. I discovered lot companies stopped making these thorn resistant heavy duty for 2.3~3" tube. ARGGGGH!

I blew the tire tube twice in 1 month even it was heavy duty (non thorn resistant) tube even I have tire liner 2.5" flat protection. It doesn't help at all.

ANY SUGGEST? Let me warn you all, I am using cargo bike which it tend overload weight (me + 2 girls 300-350lbs estimate) and it stress out the tire tube.

I'm using Schwalbe big apples 2.35 with double rim tape to prevent from spoke flats and I have another tyre lining the inside of my tyre and filled each tyre with around 6oz of ATV slime and pumped up to 60psi and they are great but those stans kits look amazing and il definitely go tubeless on my next build.

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

Back