knoxie or any other electrodrive users

aljsk8

10 mW
Hi there

ive recently bought a currie electrodrive kit and im really happy with it
but like many here i want a bit more speed

my bike is an old steel kona on 2.00 slick tyres.

first of all im going to shorten the cable runs
change to deans connecters to get the most out of the system

is there anything else i can do before i actually upgrade the kit that will help get the most out of it?

the kit i have is the newer brushed version its 24v and apparently does about 17-18mph on the flat
i have heard that it can be overvolted to 36v - infact the upgrade path seems to show the same motor is used
for a 36v system

so what do i need to do to upgrade to 36v

obviously i need a new controller an extra battery and a charger

i need battery to last 7miles before charging - the route has moderate hills and ill be assisting the motor about a 1/3 of the time
so id like to remove the batteries and use something smaller if possable

basicly im just looking for advice on what to get i want low price but good reliability
as this bike is for daily commuting

i know knoxie has used one of these for years so im guessing hes the guy who knows

Hello

Yes they are a good base, you have the electrodrive as oppsed to the Zip then? you can run the motor at 36V but they are brushed and not quite as efficient as brushless. 4QD sell a nice brushed controller that you can use to drive it, they do get quite hot at 36V though, it will give you a good boost in speed and 7 miles is easily do able even with lead acid batteries, you will need to charge after that though. More power than this on a std bike wheel is a lot of torque to drive directly through the spokes, I kept breaking wheels when running 48V 35A so keep it sensible and you should be fine.

Knoxie

yeah its the electrodrive

ill look into that controller and ill stick to 36v - i dont want things to get too complex with batterys and chargers anyway

basicly im going to use this system for commuting for a year then if it works out well ill upgrade to maybe the puma or whatever else is around

ill try to post a photo in the photo section when ive tidy-ed all the cables up etc

thanks for the advice

Back