SIMPLESIM - Simple Route Simulator for E-bikes.

amoras

10 mW
Hi all,

My first post over here, I hope you all enjoy it. :mrgreen:
This is a very simple route simulator including Hub motor information, to analyze the time and energy spent for different hub motors configurations.
You can build the routes on http://www.openrunner.com and after that download the Distance vs. Elevation file, and apply it in the spreadsheet.
Test it and give you analysis over here.

I post two examples but the spreadsheets code are the same.
V1.0 so be kind with me. :twisted:
BTW - I use Open Office.

I did minor changes to V1.0

V 1.1
Route Length-Go = Route Length-Return
Automatic Route Length Discovery

Attachments

• SimpleSim-Hilly Graciosa Azores V1.1.ods
    708.4 KB · Views: 64
V1.2
Added Ezee 26/700c 16A but with 20” wheel
Added 9C RH154 5x12 700c (Freewheel)
Changed weight RH154 6x10 20” from 105kg to 97kg

Attachments

• SimpleSim-Hilly Graciosa Azores V1.2.ods
    762.4 KB · Views: 59
V1.3
Added Notes for each motor
Added Impulse Bosch 36V 8Ah (25km/h)
Added Impulse Bosch 36V 8Ah (No Limit)

Attachments

• SimpleSim-Hilly Graciosa Azores V1.3.ods
    811.6 KB · Views: 53
V1.4
Changed Best cadence for Hilly: 75rpm
Revised Motors with 25km/h limit
Added Impulse Bosch 36V 8Ah (45km/h)
Added Impulse Bosch 36V 8Ah (No Limit)

Waiting for some feedback. :roll:

amoras

Attachments

• SimpleSim-Hilly Graciosa Azores V1.4.ods
    850 KB · Views: 52
I think I understand what you are doing and I think this is a very important tool. It is a bit confusing to figure out what assumptions are made, what the fields represent, and where the output is found. I want to take a closer look at this but as a first pass, more documentation (which I understand is tedious) would be helpful.

V1.5
Big Improvement with Instructions
Changed speed value at -3% (Impulse Bosch 250W)
Changed 205 to RH154 (7_and_8)

With this version I believe it will more easier to understand how to make the calc for a new route.

pdf said:
I think I understand what you are doing and I think this is a very important tool. It is a bit confusing to figure out what assumptions are made, what the fields represent, and where the output is found. I want to take a closer look at this but as a first pass, more documentation (which I understand is tedious) would be helpful.
BTW, thank you pdf, for your thoughts!

amoras

Attachments

• SimpleSim-Hilly Graciosa Azores V1.5.ods
    886.2 KB · Views: 74
I am using MS Excel to open the file and can't see the equations so I don't know what some of the fields are. I have the following questions:

1) I am confused by the "time" column. Is this the time (in seconds) spent traversing an increment in distance at the predicted speed and power output? I think it must be because it does not accumulate. If so, then the route time is calculated by summing the incremental times. Is that correct?
2) Also, the "step" column is confusing. The units at the top of the column are given as "100m" and the first value is "0.1". Is this therefore 10 meters (0.1 100 meter units)? I am confused because the last "step" is "33.6" for the return trip and the total distance for the trip is 33.6 km. That would indicate the units are 1000m for a unit step (33.6 steps of 1000 meters each).
3) Is the distance the linear distance along the path or the distance along a horizontal reference axis, not accounting for vertical distance changes?

I would like to run a case with one of my setups (a 9C 2810 laced in a 26" wheel, Lyen 18FET controller, 72V LiPO) with very low but constant (that is, independent of grade) crank power input. The fact that I can't see equations in the fields, just values makes me think that I am not going to be able to do with with Excel. I have used Open Office, but don't have it currently. Should the spreadsheets be fully functional in Excel (if you know)? I think the answer is "no" based on the fact that I can't see the formulas (only values) in the cells.

Thanks. I have some suggestions

pdf said:
I am using MS Excel to open the file and can't see the equations so I don't know what some of the fields are. I have the following questions:

1) I am confused by the "time" column. Is this the time (in seconds) spent traversing an increment in distance at the predicted speed and power output? I think it must be because it does not accumulate. If so, then the route time is calculated by summing the incremental times. Is that correct?
2) Also, the "step" column is confusing. The units at the top of the column are given as "100m" and the first value is "0.1". Is this therefore 10 meters (0.1 100 meter units)? I am confused because the last "step" is "33.6" for the return trip and the total distance for the trip is 33.6 km. That would indicate the units are 1000m for a unit step (33.6 steps of 1000 meters each).
3) Is the distance the linear distance along the path or the distance along a horizontal reference axis, not accounting for vertical distance changes?

I would like to run a case with one of my setups (a 9C 2810 laced in a 26" wheel, Lyen 18FET controller, 72V LiPO) with very low but constant (that is, independent of grade) crank power input. The fact that I can't see equations in the fields, just values makes me think that I am not going to be able to do with with Excel. I have used Open Office, but don't have it currently. Should the spreadsheets be fully functional in Excel (if you know)? I think the answer is "no" based on the fact that I can't see the formulas (only values) in the cells.

Thanks. I have some suggestions

1. Steps are 100m = 0.1km . The number 0.1 0.2 0.2 means 0.1km 0.2km etc. I will change this next version!
2. It´s hidden, see row 1014.
3.1 Read the instructions on V1.5 and go to Ebike.ca and apply your setup.
3.2 My spreadsheet is just a route simulator and not a motor simulator. For that you must use a program like Ebike.ca simulator or Ebikecalc17.
3.3 Excel is compatible but first you should install OO and export the file to xls. But why don't use OO , it's free?

amoras

I understand that this is a route simulator. I have thought about generating one. I am glad someone finally did! It allows people to estimate the performance of a particular setup along their desired route.

I don't think people understand what is does yet. I think one way to add functionality would be to generate graphs of different variables as a function of distance, for example, speed vs distance, current versus distance, power vs distance... That way you could get a feel for what the performance would be like all along your route.

I think this is a great tool and I understand exactly what you are doing. It allows people to size their batteries for a given route. It would also be nice to look at current as a function of time, to find the max. current draw to help size the controller.

As I said, I think this is a great tool. I did download OpenOffice, again. I found it could be a bit buggy and I work with students, all of whom have Excel. I think people might be downloading this and opening it with Excel like I did. If so, it messes up the formatting and you can't find things. For example, the "Totals" table is far away from the rest of the data and most people haven't even seen it and that is where the most useful information is

pdf said:
I don't think people understand what is does yet.
I Agree! We will see some people freak out soon! :p

pdf said:
I think one way to add functionality would be to generate graphs of different variables as a function of distance, for example, speed vs distance, current versus distance, power vs distance... That way you could get a feel for what the performance would be like all along your route.
I would like it too, but the file will get itself a lot bigger and the calculation would take more time too, but otherwise I wouldn't mind to add those functions.
But the thing that I believe is the most important for those who want to buy an Ebike or even compare the actual one they have is:
"How much effort an Ebike saves me " vs. "Ebike cost+weight "
To find out the effort a human can make, I need to find a simplified human effort model but I don't know if it even exists!

pdf said:
I think this is a great tool and I understand exactly what you are doing. It allows people to size their batteries for a given route. It would also be nice to look at current as a function of time, to find the max. current draw to help size the controller.
Actually is the other way around!
You must enter the current on Ebike.ca simulator to able to retrieve the motor data, so you already know the max current that the controller limits. That's why I believe a human effort analysis versus ebike cost+weight is the main goal to follow. You shouldn't design an Ebike to a max current, you must design an Ebike to a maximum effort you want to give, and only then you will find your maximum current.

pdf said:
As I said, I think this is a great tool. I did download OpenOffice, again. I found it could be a bit buggy and I work with students, all of whom have Excel. I think people might be downloading this and opening it with Excel like I did. If so, it messes up the formatting and you can't find things. For example, the "Totals" table is far away from the rest of the data and most people haven't even seen it and that is where the most useful information is
OK. Because I'm using Ubuntu and it brings the OO (or LibreOffice) already installed which I find more than enough for me.

amoras said:
Actually is the other way around!
You must enter the current on Ebike.ca simulator to able to retrieve the motor data, so you already know the max current that the controller limits. That's why I believe a human effort analysis versus ebike cost+weight is the main goal to follow. You shouldn't design an Ebike to a max current, you must design an Ebike to a maximum effort you want to give, and only then you will find your maximum current.

I want to investigate this further. My logic is this: controller cost is roughly correlated with the maximum current it can supply, all other things being equal. However, you don't want your bike to be limited by the current your controller can supply if your motor can handle it, even briefly (and of course the batteries as well). So your best best is to get the largest controller you can afford. While the average running current might be small, you might want bursts for short hills. So you get a 40 amp controller then find out that you never see more than 25 amps. If you knew this a priori, you could have saved $50 or more.

As far as the effort I give, I find that, compared to the motor, it is nearly irrelevant. Personally, today I think it is possible for 95% of people to get a perfectly functional motor/controller/battery combination for a reasonable price, if you know what you actually need and base this on no pedaling. For example, I based my opinion of hub motors on a couple of rides on underpowered bikes. Later, I thought I'd give them a go for myself as an experiment so I bought a 9c 2810 and put on an 18 FET Lyen controller with 72V LiPO and it kicks a$$ as far as climbing hills with me on it not pedaling a stroke. It will sprint up a 15%-20% grade if short enough. However, I have more controller than I need. The controller was the most expensive part of the bike (although it is a fine controller).

So why not just pick a controller with a high maximum on the Ebike simulator, run the route simulator and see what the actual maximum current is? Doesn't the current limit in the simulator just limit the power like this? "If current greater than max current, set current to max current." If so, then just pick the largest controller you can and see what the maximum required current on the route is.

I understand that we have two slightly different views. For me, I want to build a bike that I can ride without pedaling a stroke if I like and then pedal as much as I feel like. For you, you want to pedal a certain fixed amount and let the motor pick up the slack. For me, I ride my ebike for transportation. If I get some exercise, well that's fine. However, I am already fit and I just want to get home as quickly as I can. I don't care if I get any exercise on the way. For me, the ebike is just transportation that is more fun than a car. Your route simulator can serve us both.

Again, I think you have a great idea here. I have often thought that people who sell ebikes should use this tool to show people what to expect. It would be very informative. Otherwise, until ebikes are everywhere and their capabilities are well known, people are going to be disappointed. They want to spend as little as possible and they end up with an underpowered piece of junk. If they look at it like an investment and understand that value costs money and they can compare different setups with your spreadsheet, it will allow them to see what they are getting for their money. Keep up the good work!

pdf said:
So why not just pick a controller with a high maximum on the Ebike simulator, run the route simulator and see what the actual maximum current is? Doesn't the current limit in the simulator just limit the power like this? "If current greater than max current, set current to max current." If so, then just pick the largest controller you can and see what the maximum required current on the route is.
You don't need the route simulator to do that!
Go to Ebike.ca simulator and apply your route maximum grade and then give a shot to several different amps until you reach your goal. You only need to know that (Motor power maximum)= (Maximum load @ peak route grade) and at this point you'll find your current.
Even better, go to your route maximum grade and measure it, because the route simulator only gives you a 100m average value.

Just for the record, I found a way to quantify human effort (well at least more or less).
http://americanroadcycling.org/articles/PSL/WiddersHump/WattsSpeed.htm

V1.6
Steps in 0.1km for “Route-Go” and “Route-Return”
Improved Instructions for the Gears sheet.
Added Crystalyte HT3525 36V 25A 700c
Added Crystalyte HT3525 36V 25A 26”
Added 9C RH205 5x12 36V 25A 700c
Added 9C RH205 6x10 36V 25A 700c
Added 9C RH205 6x10 36V 25A 26”

Next version will be a V2.0, because it will include human effort levels and a TOP10 (Human effort, Time and Range).
Well at least I hope.
amoras

Attachments

• ROUTESIM-Hilly Graciosa Azores V1.6.ods
    997.4 KB · Views: 49
V2.0
Added great TOP50 SpreadSheets
Added H-Effort Spreadsheet
Improved Instructions according to TOP50 spreadsheets
Improved Instructions for the “Gears” sheet.
Added 9C RH154 5x12 700c (Freewheel)
Added Crystalyte HT3525 36V 25A 20” (n.º 25)
Added 9C RH205 5x12 48V 15A 26” (n.º 28)
Added 9C RH205 5x12 48V 20A 26” (n.º 31)
Added 9C RH205 6x10 48V 15A 26” (n.º 34)
Added 9C RH205 6x10 48V 20A 26” (n.º 37)
Added Crystalyte HT3525 48V 25A 26” (n.º 40)
Added Crystalyte HT3525 48V 25A 20” (n.º 41)

This file is becoming big.
I advise all who have a low end or old computer to do the following changes to OpenOffice (3.2):
Remove Anti-Aliasing: Tools -> options -> openoffice.org -> view -> graphics output -> use anti-aliasing (uncheck)
Remove Java: Tools -> options -> openoffice.org -> java -> use a java-runtime (uncheck)
in "options- working memory" you should set the graphic-cache from 64 MB to 128 MB and the next "memory per object" from 8 MB to 32MB.

The main change is the "TOP50-Go" and "TOP50-Return" spreadsheets, that allows you to check your setup ranked by time, energy consumption and human effort.
I also changed the name:
Now is ERS-MP: Ebike Route Simulator - Medium Profile

amoras

Attachments

• ERS-MP V2.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
V2.1
Motor values revision
Added SpreadSheet “Controller”

I now have a LP and a MP version for different human power efforts.
Low Profile version:
Grade 0% - 150W
Grade 1% to 3% - 175W
Grade above 3% - 200W
Grade -1% to -3% -100W
Grade -3% to -10% - 75W
Grade above -10% - 0W

Medium Profile version:
Grade 0% - 150W
Grade 1% to 3% - 200W
Grade above 3% - 250W
Grade -1% to -3% -100W
Grade -3% to -10% - 75W
Grade above -10% - 0W

Attachments

• ERS-LP V2.1.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • ERS-MP V2.1.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
V2.2
Added Go FLAT on “Gears” sheet
Simplified “Gears” sheet
Added “Cadence” sheet
Changed Time Correction on sheet “Totals-Go” and “Totals-Return”

Next time I'll create a new thread with some screenshots.
I gave up using the MP version.

V2.3
Added Stop List to “Route-Go” and “Route-Return”
Correction of Automatic route length on Totals-Go Sheet
Correction of Human Effort sum on Totals-Return sheet.

Hi all,

Here are some screenshots for my ESR simulator:

1. You can build a route from A to point B with stops
1zo9rw3.jpg

2. You can add your ebike setup
242sz6w.jpg

3. You will get an estimated time, energy and human effort for your route and a comparison to others
zinkif.jpg

There are a lot of assumptions that you can read in the Instructions sheet.
The download is here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37790&start=15

(moderator edit: moved this post into the original thread, as there is no need for two threads advertising the same thing. ;))

V2.4
Added Velomible Mango versions (n.º 44 to 50)
Human bike now on rank by energy

Attachments

• ERS-LP V2.4.zip
    2 MB · Views: 30
V2.5
Added Ebike versions Fast Pedelec 20km/h (n.º 56 to 58)
Added Trekking Bike (n.º 2)
Added City Bike (n.º 3)
Renamed Top50 sheets to Top100
Added Rank by Human Effort Total – Top100 sheets
Added Velomobile Leitra (CdA=0,17 m²) n.º 53 to 55
Updated Velomobile Mango (CdA=0,10 m²) n.º 46 to 52
Setups with blocking diode updated with drag Torque

Attachments

• ERS-LP V2.5.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
V3.0
Added Wh per START @ 0%
Addded START Wh to Total Energy Consumption (Battery)
Added number of STARTS (Route-Go and Route-Return sheets)
Changed STOPS to DELAYS (Route-Go and Route-Return sheets)
Changed Route Length from Totals-Go to Top100-Go sheet
Added Route Name – Top100 sheets
Added Battery Voltage and Capacity to Motors sheet.
Added Velomobile Quest XS (n.º 56 to 58)
Added “Climb Total Score” to TOP100 sheets
Updated Instructions

V4.0
Removed Route-Return, Totals-Return and Top100-Return sheets
Updated Instructions
Added Velomobile MILAN SL (n.º 59 to 61)

Back