Ebrake handle left or right hand side?

IIIHorseman

100 mW
Trying to figure out what makes more sense? The throttle will be on my right side of the handle bar. If I had the ebrake on the left, I could keep the throttle in position on the right, but then again, it's not really all that safe to to start breaking with the front wheel first. This would be on a motor that doesn't support regenative breaking

I don't use ebrakes, since I don't regen. I find myself quite capable of rolling back the throttle when I want to stop. But some like a kill switch for safety, and some places require them. Can't see why it would matter which side, long as you grab that side if you have a need to kill it.

doesn't matter which side. that's your preference.

a kill switch is smart. i had my throttle sieze up when it was real cold out a few times. Other members have had their throttles malfunction as well.

I've put mine on the left side. I like it that way because when breaking gently regen slows down rear wheel just enough, and at the same time I apply pressure to the front brakes, so most of the time I use only left brake handle.

Rear brake is natural. The regen switch engages before bite point, making for perfect control of rear regen and braking.
For me, the front brake is most important and has to be totally independent from the rear.
Then, your rear brake can be on the left or right as you wish, or according to the standard where you live.

I don't currently use regen, but I like to have brake cutoffs on both sides. Not just for safety, but also because I prefer the more symmetrical look of matching brake levers. Throttle cutoffs are normally-open switches, so wire in parallel.

On the safety side, sure I am capable of quickly releasing or rolling off the throttle too. But in some rare situations a few milliseconds or a few inches can make a crucial difference. Plus, one time I had my throttle stick wide-open when the plastic clip inside the throttle broke and the grip just came off in my hand. It was very handy to just grab the brake while I dealt with shutting off the power.

I have always had a habit of dragging my rear brake just slightly before the front. Since I use my front trigger shifter for my throttle, it's on the left of the bars, putting the motor cutoff on the rear brake lever, right of the bar, was a no brainer. We are very adaptable creatures though and you will be well versed in your bikes operation in just a few minutes of riding no matter how you do it. In the end don't get stuck thinking it's OK if you don't like it. Change it and be happy.

It doesnt matter what side you pick if you are not using regen. You can infact put on on each side and link them together if you really want.

el_walto said:
It doesnt matter what side you pick if you are not using regen. You can infact put on on each side and link them together if you really want.

Why does it matter if you are using regen?

True enogh, whichever side it's on, you grab it, regen will occur only on the motor wheel.

I could see matching it to the same wheel you are grabbing brakes for though. Now, which side of the bars that is, that gets you rear brakes, is a matter of preference and varies from continent to continent.

John in CR said:
el_walto said:

Why does it matter if you are using regen?

It doesnt really matter, It's just nice having the lever corispond to the wheel that will have less traction.

Back