Milwaukee businessmen form national ebike association

Lock

100 MW
http://www.biztimes.com/article/20120517/ENEWSLETTERS07/120519780
May 17. 2012

Milwaukee businessmen form national electric bike association

Craig Peterson, founder of Buffalo Water Beer Company and chief executive officer of Zigman Joseph Stephenson, Inc., in partnership with Brian Nelson, owner of B.D. Nelson Construction Company have formed the United States e-Bikes Association to promote and educate the public on the benefits of powered assisted bicycles.

“Forty years ago, people communicaed using manual typewriters, then along came the IBM Selectric, then computers, now we communicate using iPhones,” said Nelson, co-founder of the organization. “Technology in bicycle transportation has evolved just as quickly, allowing everyday people, who are not necessarily in great physical condition, to commute to work, school or shopping with a power-assisted bike. Saving energy, getting physically fit, and reducing their carbon footprint.”

The association will also advocate for the addition of public charging stations at coffee shops, shopping centers and office buildings throughout the country.

“In other cultures e-bikes are common,” said Peterson. “In China, fifty-percent of all bikes sold are electric, in Holland 1 in 4, in Germany 1 in 8, and 1 in 10 in Switzerland. E-bikes extend a rider’s range, reduce fatigue and are fun. Some purists may think only human power should propel a bicycle. But a bicycle is transportation, real simple. It gets everyday people from point A to B. A bicycle is an upgrade from walking. An e-bike is a step-up from a manual bike, and it allows the rider to get to work not dripping with sweat and in an efficient and economic manner.”

Hmmmm... big plans...

No URL yet that I can see.

That's good news. It sounds like somebody gets it and wants to help improve the world. Kudo's to them.

I sent Craig Peterson an email w/link to this thread and an invite to say hello to ES...

Still no URL, and not EVen the courtesy of a reply to an email invite to say hello to the folks on ES... They don't seem to be off to a very good start.

Lock

So far, still PR and no substance:
Local men form e-bike association
http://www.jsonline.com/business/159351365.html
Brian Nelson, who lives in Mequon and owns BD Nelson Construction Co., says the association will be a public relations arm for the e-bike industry, hopefully attracting corporate sponsors along the way.

There's also a local spin that could be taken nationwide.

"Our first mission will be to reach out to coffee shops, shopping centers and business offices to provide charging stations for e-bike commuters," Nelson said.

He is working with fellow e-biker Craig Peterson, the founder of Buffalo Water Beer Co. and CEO of Zigman Joseph Stephenson Inc., Wisconsin's oldest public relations firm.

Through his public relations firm, Peterson has experience in managing associations and attracting corporate sponsors.

The association will use social media and a website, yet to be developed, to promote e-bikes.

Full article in the link...

... then ya gots yer Electric Bike Association, Inc. ("A 501(c)6 trade association based in Las Vegas, Nevada USA")... seen on "social media" site FaceBook:
https://www.facebook.com/ElectricBikeExpo/

... where the focus seems to be on executing the list of annual ebike Expo EVents in the US.

Their own website appears a bit... vacant at the moment:
http://www.electricbikeassociation.org/

:wink:

Got yer vids on YT? Yup...:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCppK53hTDEMGAo8Hy9SoOtQ

Interesting... maybe... Lots of YT vids "2 years ago"... three vids "1 year ago"... zero vids more recent? Hmmmm...

“The association will also advocate for the addition of public charging stations at coffee shops, shopping centers and office buildings throughout the country”

This sounds great but not an easy task. I’ve worked for a local developer who owns a nice strip mall of boutiques etc Where a charging station would be ideal. I did see an exterior power outlet. I haven’t asked him yet as I’d want some more info first. Is there a common or standard signage for ebike charging? What would the station be composed of? I wouldn’t mind bringing my own charger but having a dc power supply in a water proof enclosure would be less to carry. I use rc llpos. Also a way to lock up the ebike would be nice. Might be good for the nearby businesses as the wait may be time to wander and shop.

^^ Used to be, plenty of outdoor 120V AV electric power outlets scattered around urban areas... In addition to a pocket-sized charger, used to carry too one "Receptacle Tester" to check "foreign territory":
0520027_1

LockH said:
^^ Used to be, plenty of outdoor 120V AV electric power outlets scattered around urban areas... In addition to a pocket-sized charger, used to carry too one "Receptacle Tester" to check "foreign territory":

Either that one or the pen type
Non-Contact Voltage Tester
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-non-contact-voltage-tester-0520125p.html#srp

But we all know the area's in which we ride and where the outlets that work are, and if we dont then we know where to go where the outlets will work, gas stations ice machine, pop machines, block heater parking lot outlets, schools, strip malls, transit stations. I've been tempted to get a quick boost from residential homes but havent done that..... yet...... like say an alley detached garage but havent found one yet, just saying be cool if it were elec code, and not the bold move of going to the front of the home. My next battery step is to build a 10S1P with 30A, 2.5Ah 18650's and configure it so its compact enough to fit in a seat bag. Enough to get me another 6km @ 15wh/km or further if I baby the throttle, which is better then "footing it" which is sitting and pushing yourself with your right/left leg and hoping theres an outlet in the next block.

^^ My problem maybe, constantly moving... on different routes... the Viking in my blood. :mrgreen:

But back to "national ebike association"... how many are we up to now? Yah gots yer "trade associations"... yer "neighbourhood associations"... yer "city associations"... how many international associations? Yer "manufacturers associations"... I feel a list coming on... :lol:

Back