The fastest hub motor for a bicycle when moneys not an issue

Olly3012

10 mW
Hi all iv been hunting around for the fastest hub motor for a bicycle when moneys and mileage is not an issue I have a stretch cruiser with springer front end and 20"x 4" rims and SPORT DEMON BIAS SPORT-TOURING TIRES 100/90-h16 (motorcycle) total weight around 16kg live in the centre of town there is no major hills (not that I cant go around any way) and have a mate to build me custom lipo packs around 111V-126V 16Ah with 30C discharge capability weight 13.4kg, I want the bike mainly for a bit of fun ay, I also was looking at the kelly brushless sensorless 120V 250A controller fully programmable. But open to all ideas I want to go fast and don't mind spending the cash. and I weigh 75kg cheers.

Could I use one of these http://www.enertrac.net/product.php#b MHM602: Two turn winding motor Power output: 10KW continuous @ 25c ambient temperature

Protection: thermally protected with kelly controller

Typical voltage needed:

MHM602

10 RPM/Volt

72 volts for 45 MPH with 18 X 3.5 tire
96 volts for 60 plus MPH with 18 X 3.5 tire

And would it be possible to add a single free wheel or maybe just a sprocket and a front free wheel on the crank any Ideas?

Pick up a scooter hub like esoria has, but first get a frame that can handle the speed. That cruiser frame is probably a death trap unless you can put a moped brake in the front.

Cheers do you know who sells them ??? I will check them out by the way its a custom chromoly frame twin disks up front.

The greyborg/cromotor 'hubzilla' is the most powerful hub motor in production that is designed for a bicycle dropout ( 150mm ) at this time. If you want more power, then you order something like the motenergy motors, or something larger and go direct to chain drive.

http://greyborgusa.com/

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_motors_brushless.php

Beware, bicycle components won't handle much above 30mph speeds. Expect to start needing motorcycle/scooter grade brakes and suspension at such a high power level.

If you have good brakes and a sound frame, ill reccomend what nep did, either a greyborg hub, or a motenergy brushless or agni brushed motor.

Cheers they look sweet and yeh I am trying to build a strong and safe as possible most parts custom made as its not really a bicycle when you are talking that power and speed I have lots of experience with fossil fuels and motorcycles but now battery's have advanced and got a lot more affordable I want the torque, rush and funny looks that gas cant provide cheers again.

Olly3012 said:
I want the torque, rush and funny looks that gas cant provide cheers again.

Ha ha.. welcome to the club :)

Would a kelly KHB12201,24-120V,200A,Opto BLDC Controller/With Regen be up to the task of the hubzilla?

I have basically decided to go with the kelly KHB 12301, 24-120V (136V max), 150A continual (300A max), Opto BLDC Controller/With Regen with the Hubzilla 4000W continual hub motor http://greyborgusa.com/products/motors/hubzilla/ with 111V-126V 16Ah 30C lipos any ideas or tips max settings much appreciated ay cheers for every ones help love this place.

A bicycle springer and speed and/or power really don't mix well.

That said, JohnInCR's hubmonster is the biggest I've seen. Good luck with the Kelly.

liveforphysics said:

That said, JohnInCR's hubmonster is the biggest I've seen. Good luck with the Kelly.

Oh yeah. Scooter hub motors..

BTW, Luke, are we ever going to see plasma shoot out the decoratively cut holes of a greyborg or Crystalyte 54xx?

neptronix said:
liveforphysics said:

Good luck with the Kelly.

Iv heard they can give you currie what else is around with high power levels and where to buy them cheers.

Id advise buying a motor first then controller.

I just recently got the HPM 5000b. im gonna try put up to 20 kw into it. 200 battery amps

My CrMo frame is going to be wraped in carbon fiber. I have hydro disc brakes for a mtb, but def need motorbike ones for my own peace of mind.

liveforphysics said:

5 big BMW motos with the owners in full armor made the mistake of pulling along side and behind me at the last red light on the main drag today. I've gotta get on board front and rear video to share with you guys, because you guys would have really loved to see how badly the SuperV owned the quintuplet rider wannabes and their $100k+ of shiny new equipment. Unlike LFP in his serious looking helmet and leathers, they badly underestimate the fat guy in shorts and flip flops, so it's always over before they realize they needed to be aggressive with the throttle. 8)

John

Has any one liquid cooled a kelly controller with external oil cooler? and dose any one have any thoughts about running nitrous oxide or liquid helium injection on the cromotor it would be quiet easy to run lines in? could pump some serious power?

It would be also extremely easy to use a pocket bike nos kit a normally open solenoid gas valve and a rc temp fail safe run your lines in load the nos set the temp max when it reaches max temp the fail safe triggers the solenoid open cooling your motor and preventing a melt down and lots of dollars you could even do the same with the controller you could crank more power safer any ideas?

Ok so minor change of plans I have purchased a CroMotor and it is on its way and its looking like I am going to purchase a warp series frame off them to at such a good price they are hard to resist, I will just mount the controller differently as I will be liquid cooling it and making a custom housing and adding oil coolers and fans, The only problem is which controller, I am going to purchase a -24 FET 4115 MOSFET 84-132V Freeway Speed LYEN Edition Controller in the morning unless any one has some better ideas chuck em my way ok. Ps cash not an issue cheers.

I thought you wanted big performance. Motors made to fit bicycle dropouts are ebike motors, and it sounds like you want more than that. From the sound of it, you don't want fastest, but instead you want something quick to say 60mph. A big fat scooter hubbie made to fill a 13" rim is one option that could work if a rear tire with a 20" outside diameter will work for you. Another option is the motorcycle hubbie you mentioned in the original post. Either will need a whole lot more controller than the 200A Kelly you mentioned at the top. A big consideration should be braking, and both of those options will allow a proper moto brake, though good regen can make bike discs work as filler.

John

Cheers John I have been checking them all out Its really blowing my mind so many parts available, I am thinking of starting small but like the most powerful bicycle electric gear available first and get it all sorted before I move onto the scooter/motorcycle motors and most likely build my own frame as this is my first e bike build, I am good with electrics but I don't know the first thing about programming controllers (they scare me I have never even ridden an e bike always been a gas man up until now).
Ps I seen your vids I like very much serious power what's your set ups?

Also curious I found these off a good suppler 36FET IRFB4410's 3000-5000W 48-96V 80-100Amax BLDC motor controller @

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/522264306-36FET-IRFB4410-s-3000-5000W-48-96V-80-100Amax-BLDC-motor-controller-EV-brushless-speed-controller-wholesalers.html

Can you mod these I could not find any info out and would they be any good? If any one knows shout out cheers.

Olly3012 said:
Also curious I found these off a good suppler 36FET IRFB4410's 3000-5000W 48-96V 80-100Amax BLDC motor controller @

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/522264306-36FET-IRFB4410-s-3000-5000W-48-96V-80-100Amax-BLDC-motor-controller-EV-brushless-speed-controller-wholesalers.html

Can you mod these I could not find any info out and would they be any good? If any one knows shout out cheers.

Carefull , as you are now going down the rabbit hole. :)

Be sure to tell us how it all worked out.

2 wheels is 2 wheels Olly. I'm lost. I thought you wanted enough performance to show off with cost not an issue, but now you're looking for bargains on Alibaba and talking ebike power.

100_1658.JPG Just looking for some expert advice I am about to drill out my motor covers, I know the drill, angled at the centre to draw air in, then as close to the outside angled to draw air out, but what is safe, do I keep to the flat and stay away from the edges and how big is big enough? :? cheers.

Drilled my vent holes I will start small see how it goes might make em bigger later on.

Attachments

• vents.JPG
    vents.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 2,081
Back