500W Cyclone kit with Milwaukee question

ort5

1 W
Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker that wants to join the ranks of the E-bike owners club.

I'm considering a 500W Cyclone setup, but I haven't chosen the batteries yet. I'm considering 4 of the Milwaukee V28 batteries in parallel. This should give me a 28V 12ah pack. The Cyclone website seems to indicate that cruising current draw is around 15-20amps, and to expect around 35amps for hills.

Does this sound like a reasonable setup? That would be a max of around 3C for the Milwaukee packs, or around 9 amps each. Will they handle this stock? I'd prefer to keep the packs intact and not bypass any of their BMS system. I would also use the stock Milwaukee chargers.

Also, does anybody know if the controller included in the 500W Cyclone kit will handle the nominal extra 4 volts of the V28 packs?

Thanks!
Dave

Cyclone will handle 30volts, but dont charge the pack while connected to the controller- voltage gets too high.

The cyclone will attempt to deliver over 800w to the motor under big loads. thats about 26 amps. Use a drain brain to control maximum amperage if you wish.

I know little of the Milwaukee packs.

dick

Jondoh did this.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=506&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

You won't have any problem with that setup. I don't know what the BMS's current limit is, since I've bypassed the BMS's for discharging on all my Milwaukee packs, but it's definitely more that 9a. Remember that these are for professional power tools. If you have a stuck screw that you need to drive, current draw will easily spike, and the electronics needs to be able to take that.

The cells themselves are good for 10C continuous, 15C for short periods. I've drawn ~30a per pack for several minutes with no problem. Again, I bypass the BMS's, though.

The controller should be easily able to handle 29v, which is the very most the V28 packs will measure hot off the charger. 24v SLAs will read something like 26-27v hot off the chargers anyway. I would suspect the kit would tolerate 48v or so.

I put my milwaukee packs to the cyclone and didn't have a problem. I did have a problem with the freewheel and have since sold the bike. I'm just going with hub motors now.

Thanks for the input guys.

What are your thoughts on the new double freewheel setup on the cyclone Taiwan site? I would think that this would potentially eliminate the problem with the crank-side freewheel. Is there a disadvantage that I do not realize?

Back