Extra Connector from C-lyte hub?

JeffD

10 W
OK - apologies for such a newbie question but what is this extra connector coming out of my C-lyte hub for?
ExtraPlug.jpg
Nothing I have connects to it and the bike runs fine without it but I haven't a clue what it is for. :oops:

It's the plug for the hall effect sensors. They tell the controller where the magnets are so it knows which phase coils to send power to. If your controller doesn't have that kind of plug, look for another one that has five connectors on it. You'll have to either change the connector on it or the motor.

Could it be that I can't utilize this with my 24-72V 20A pedal first controller?

Prolly. Pedal-first controllers are usually sensorless ones, meaning they interpret magnet position based on the back EMF of the coils. This only works when the motor is moving, though, which is why you need to "pedal-first".

Yes, yes, and yes.

Tie that connector somewhere out of the way, but safe. When you upgrade to an immediate-start controller, you'll need it.

lazarus2405 said:
Tie that connector somewhere out of the way, but safe.

Too late. I already snipped it off thinking I didn't need it. :shock:

(joking :lol: )

Thanks for the quick answers.

An aside on why I chose the Pedal-first controller:
1. It only requires about 5 km/h before the throttle can kick in (a push off with my foot can do this)
2. Easier on the dropouts as I don't have torque arms
3. Easier on the pocketbook ($130 cheaper than Immediate start )
4. I think Justin from ebikes.ca said they are better suited (more durable?)for wet weather riding
5. come with the coveted IRFB4110 mosfets

I recommend it for the budget conscious type who are building their first ebike. I'm not disappointed.

Jeff

From reading Solarbbq's info on the 408, it has 45Nm stall torque at 48v and 20 amps.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/solarbbq/408.htm

The axle is 10mm across, or 0.01m. Half of that is the radius to where the load is borne = 0.005m

45/0.005 = 9000N

Roughly 10N is 1kg (9.81N really).

There is ~900kg pushing on your dropouts, half each, so 450kgs each. A little less because you pedal first...but not much.

400kgs on those tiny little open dropouts...steel, ally, unobtainium, whatever...it's only a matter of time..

Think about it.

Back