N.B. Saint John parks about to ban ebikes

Lessss

1 MW
Looks like Saint John is about to follow Toronto
Someone with a scooter looking one pushed it...

Subject: assisted bicycles
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:07:46 +0000

Hi ____,

Following up on our conversation about power assisted bicycles. I’ve attached a document from the Saint John police differentiating between e-bikes that look like bikes, and electric scooters with pedals. As you mentioned, e-bikes that look like bikes are considered bicycles under the motor vehicle act. Furthermore, I have started a discussion with our legal department about updating our city policy to mention e-bikes. The city of Toronto has developed a policy that I would like to adopt here in the Park and I think that you fill find to be fair. It states:

‘In City of Toronto Parks electric bicycles may be ridden on parks roads, but motors should not be used on parks paths and trails. This means that on paths such as the Waterfront - Martin Goodman Trail, Don Valley Trail, or Humber Trail, a bylaw officer may ticket an electric bicycle rider $30 for engaging their motor.’

To avoid any future conflict/confusion, I will be sending out a press release once this clarification has been made to our policies city wide. I ask that in the meantime you respect this policy, I have informed our outside workers to do the same. I certainly want to promote the use of active transportation and the use of the Park as corridor to do so, and I think the compromise of not using your motor while in the Park will allow us to promote e-bikes as having both ‘motorized’ and ‘non-motorized’ options.

Cheers,
Emilie

If you send an email BE NICE.

So, enforcement will be based on having a motor engaged? I would love to see how they prove that.

In the states it is a policy for all police officer's to lie and for their parner to lie for them it's the blue code of silient. And for the D.A. to tell them how to set up the case to tell their truth.

That law is as dumb as saying the other bikes are not bikes because they look like scooters. Take the pedals off and they become scooters. Possibly arguable that they become scooters if the pedals are folded. But if the pedals work, the law does not say you have to push on them.

Just post a slow speed limit for everybody within the park, pedaling, motoring , skating, whatever. That you can at least have a way for the officer to try to prove the violation. How they reached the dangerous speed in the park doesn't matter. Just as big a hazard if a rollerblader can't controll himself on a downhill grade.

...I’ve attached a document from the Saint John police differentiating between e-bikes that look like bikes, and electric scooters with pedals.

Lessss... can you attach this doc please?

As an example of how retarded these arguments can become, here are the two pics distributed to Toronto Parks staff to illustrate which ebikes are OK and which ebikes are Spawn of Satan...

View attachment 1

Toronto_Parks.jpg

BTW Lessss...
...The city of Toronto has developed a policy that I would like to adopt here in the Park and I think that you fill find to be fair. It states:

Would you kindly ask Emilie where she is getting this information please?
(link to a web page, or name of individual in emails with City of Toronto staff)
Lock

even ghost pedaling on those ebike wannabe-scooters is a joke.. yes i've tried.

I have nothing against electric scooters, dont get me wrong here, but they are not pedal assisted bicycles by any stretch of the imagination.

Luke's deathbike is more ebike than those scooters are.

This should be about two issues:

1. Safety - As Dogman says, its the speed that hurts someone, not the mode which it is acheived.

2. Pollution - I can see not allowing gassers on a park trail, because it would cause air and noise pollution, especially 2-strokes. An ebike is quiet with zero emissions, unless you eat a bean burrito before your journey.

BTW - What would they say about Amberwolf's creations? And what about razor scooters, no pedals there?

The doc is about a bunch of other things with one blurb on ebikes.

ELECTRIC BIKES

An electric bike is primarily constructed of a bicycle type frame with pedals with an electric motor providing additional power when required. The overall appearance is that of a bicycle. It is the policy of the department to NOT register these types of vehicles and that they be treated in the same manner as a bicycle in terms of highway operation.

ELECTRIC SCOOTERS AND MOPEDS

These are vehicles that have the distinct appearance of a scooter or moped but are powered by an electric motor. These kinds of vehicles are to be treated as a motor driven cycle and registered and insured. The definition of motor driven cycle should be amended to allow for this policy to be in place as soon as possible.

------------
In N.B. Motor driven cycles are allowed up to 60Km/hr IIRC

Basically they are ignoring 1.21 and classifying the vehicles by how they LOOK. Probably to ease the confusion of the low IQ cops.

I wonder what they would say about my recumbent trike..

You will likely soon find out as they are getting this "looks like a bike" thing from the minister of transport and it is likely to be the basis of N.B. law soon. Even before it becomes law it's the policy the police will be enforcing.

If you don't think cops enforce unwritten law policies look up Thomas Ball and the second set of books.

Seen on Wikipedia (uncredited and undated):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws#New_Brunswick
New Brunswick

Not allowed, although if you call the ministry you are informed if it looks like a bike it's a bike, if not it's not.

From the Ministry
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An electric bicycle is primarily constructed of a bicycle type frame with pedals with an electric motor providing additional power when required. The overall appearance is that of a bicycle. It is the policy of the department to not register these types of vehicles. They are treated in the—same manner as a bicycle in terms of highway operation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course what is a "bicycle type frame" is not defined and is left up to the interpretation of each police officer.

Amazing. I had no idea one of the Provinces still has not passed legislation legalizing ebikes...

Lock

I wrote that wiki entry
N.B. , NWT, and Nunavut have no legislation.
PEI classes them as mopeds.

Sent: June 7, 2010 2:57 PM
Subject: Fw: Institute of Transportation Studies UC, Berkely - Electric Bicycles (P.A.B.)

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding electric bicycles.

An electric bicycle is primarily constructed of a bicycle type frame with pedals with an electric motor providing additional power when required. The overall appearance is that of a bicycle. It is the policy of the department to not register these types of vehicles. They are treated in the same manner as a bicycle in terms of highway operation.

I have provided a copy of your e-mail to Department representatives on the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators (CCMTA), who receive information and contribute to any deliberation on vehicle related matters. Currently we are in the process of reviewing our business practices relating to the registration of vehicles in general. However, the Department of Public Safety is currently making efforts to accommodate electric motorcycles, through practice and examination of existing legislation. At present, electric low-speed motorcycles are being registered in New Brunswick as motor-driven cycles.

As Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General, I consider highway safety a priority for our Government. I have made recent amendments to the Motor Vehicle Act to get tough on those who drink and drive; to encourage seat belt usage; and to reduce speeding in school and construction zones. I am committed to our goal of working together to build a safe New Brunswick .

I do appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts and this information with me.

Yours sincerely,
Hon. John W. Foran
Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General

I replied with
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 18:08:23 -0300
To: "Foran, Hon. John (DPS/MSP)" <John.Foran@gnb.ca>

Hello,
Thank you for being the only government official to actually respond to my email. However you have been misinformed.

There is no such N.B. LEGISLATION that says anything of the kind - - specifically - - - -

An electric bicycle is primarily constructed of a bicycle type frame <<~~~~~~ No such law, regulation or requirement. If I am wrong please provide the specific line item of legislation with the legal text.
The overall appearance is that of a bicycle. <<~~~~~~ No such law, regulation or requirement and a truly silly statement(see included pictures).

These statements have no legal definition. ""Bicycle type frame"" is a vague and personally interpretive statement. I can provide you with pictures of dozens of styles of frames for bicycles. What might look like a ""bicycle type frame"" to one police officer may not to another, and that is an unfair and dangerous, even potentially deadly, position for the public to be put in.
Bicyclist tasered tasered2 tasered3 (links removed)

I am well aware that this is what the department has been saying to people but the laws as they currently stand DO NOT SAY THIS. The law should limit it's scope to "top speed" and "power of the motor". Electric motorcycles start at 5000W and good ones are 15,000W and up [Cars 35,000W]. The federal definition of a P.A.B. limits electric bikes to a paltry 500W (In the US to 750W). As long as the bike is speed limited and within the power limits it can look like a pink elephant and is still a P.A.B. The law should not be addressing aesthetics.

There was a huge list of pic of weird and odd ebike and regular bikes....

file.php
file.php
file.php
file.php
file.php
file.php
file.php
file.php
file.php

Of course no acknowledgement of that email or an actual response. In essence the bureaucracy has usurped the law making authority of the legislature to create "policy laws" which are not laws but being enforced as if they were.

You all shouldn't complain. The alternative is probably banning the bikes from the park entirely.

Phoebus - that is what they are doing effectively is a ban on the "looks like a scooter" ebikes outright and additionally you are not allowed to use the motor on the stealth ones. So either way its a ban.

At this point I have not ordered any more inventory in(didn't last year either since the economy tanked) and am just selling what I have left (less than 15 bikes) to see how this all breaks and if they go stupid I'll be moving out of the province.

Hello Emilie !

My name is Gaston, i am located in Moncton, i recently found a discussion involving Saint John and " Ebikes ", I believe you are already in contact with Les Leblanc who is a citizen of Saint John, and sells " Ebikes " and/or " E-scooters " in the area.

I thought i might provide some feedback and my point of view having been a user of electric bicycles for many years and have also built a number of them for various individuals in NB.

I admit that i am not a lawyer or a legally minded individual by any strech of the imagination but i am very familiar with the techncial aspects of bicycles, batteries and all that the movement represents.

One of the items being proposed, if it " Looks like a bicycle " and " If it looks like a scooter ", is a very tricky one and not clear for officers to use as a measure to perform their duties.

My personal opinion on the subject, " Are the pedals being used ? " is a more accurate method of measure. Some E-bikes are equipped with pedals and sensors that require the rider to pedal in order for the motor to function, while other ebikes will allow the motor to function without the pedals being used.

There are many non-conventional designs in the bicycle world that " Do not look like a bicycle " but are not electrically powered. Are those to be ticketed as well ? Some very talented people build their own bicycles to suit their needs, from artists to the physically challenged..

Something to consider, many ( not all ) individuals who purchase and use the " Looks like a scooter " bikes, are low income, and they use what they can afford, the entry level electric scooters are very under powered, slow, and it's not reasonable to justify paying registration, insurance, etc costs on a sub 500$ bike... Given the technical restrictions of these types of scooters, i believe they should be allowed as long as the user is wearing a helmet, operating the vehicle in a safe manner, following the rules of the road as applicable to anyone walking, jogging, roller blading, skateboarding etc.. they are a clean and quiet means of transportation that should be encouraged and over time will become known to the general public and adopted as an alternative to using a car/truck/suv to get do one's destination.. ( how many cars do you see on the road with a single driver, and no passengers ? .. )

I am personally not a fan of these scooters, but what right do i have to put restrictions on what people who have very little alternatives financially or physically, can use to commute vs expensive taxi or not avilable city bus routes etc..? Pedaling these " Electric Scooters " is near impossible, with the wide deck between the pedals, one would dislocate a hip or injure themselves trying to go any meaningfull distances with them not using the motor. I have tried a number of them and can attest to this.

On the other side of the coin, regualr bicycles, converted to electric with a kit, or " looks like a bicycle " ebikes pre-fabricated and sold ready to ride, that have pedals integrated into the desing are easy to pedal and assist the limited power bike on hills or windy days, some riders may not have the ability to pedal and use the motor only ( I have arthritis, and some days my knees dont play nice... i use the motor only at times ) .. just another point to consider.

If you ever happen to be in Moncton, i welcome you to give me a call at 506 xxx-xxxx and come over to try one of my many ebikes, get a seat of the pants point of view of what an ebike really is, you never know, you might have just have fun !

If you have any questions or would like to speak with me, i would gladly welcome a discussion ( after 4pm pls, as i am at work from 8am to 4pm )

Cheers !

Gaston Daigle
http://www.ypedal.com

Lock said:
...I’ve attached a document from the Saint John police differentiating between e-bikes that look like bikes, and electric scooters with pedals.

Lessss... can you attach this doc please?

As an example of how retarded these arguments can become, here are the two pics distributed to Toronto Parks staff to illustrate which ebikes are OK and which ebikes are Spawn of Satan...

View attachment 1

It looks like they are against under-seat storage....could be housing a bomb or something :shock:

cal3thousand said:
It looks like they are against under-seat storage....could be housing a bomb or something :shock:

Actually they are granola-eaters... left-over 60's folks that believe EVerybuddy should be pedaling, and only use safety concerns as an excuse (with no studies or experience to back up their claims.) As "active transportation" proponents, they seek to usurp public lands for their own narrow agenda and disenfranchise those that do not agree with their perspective.

Lock

Back