My solar-assisted custom tricycle FOLLIES

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
ddk   1 MW

1 MW

Re: My solar-assisted custom tricycle FOLLIES

Post by ddk » Nov 10 2018 12:55am

choices choices.jpg
pic one
choices choices.jpg (132.62 KiB) Viewed 231 times
needs expression maybe :banana:
docnjoj wrote:
Nov 09 2018 8:03am
"All the better to see you with"! Great stuff!
otherDoc
"How can we play Hot Wheels without lighter fluid? " -Serge

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Nov 10 2018 10:46am

ddk wrote:
Nov 10 2018 12:55am
needs expression maybe :banana:
You could pin one pupil up at the top and leave the other loose, for that "derpy" look. ;)

Or stick a clock movement with a magnet on the second hand, behind the plexiglass behind the eye, and another magnet on the pupil, so the pupil moves around like rolling eyes. Just one eye or both if you have two old clocks you don't use. :roll:

ddk   1 MW

1 MW

Post by ddk » Nov 14 2018 6:59pm

amberwolf wrote:
Nov 10 2018 10:46am
You could pin one pupil up at the top and leave the other loose, for that "derpy" look. ;)...
This trike sports no front suspension. As such, as it travels down the road it's googly eyes googly very much.

The trike formerly drew a lot of attention but now it draws twice as much :pancake:
focus fun.jpg
new camera
focus fun.jpg (51.5 KiB) Viewed 196 times
100 meters distant.jpg
not even close to it's maximum zoom
100 meters distant.jpg (80.08 KiB) Viewed 196 times
branches aplenty.jpg
manual focus does another trick
branches aplenty.jpg (94 KiB) Viewed 196 times
:confused:

wturber   100 kW

100 kW

Post by wturber » Nov 15 2018 12:47pm

Neodymium magnets and chain could be used to make adjustable eyebrow and mouth expressions.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
8 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1000 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90369

ddk   1 MW

1 MW

Post by ddk » Nov 19 2018 7:48pm

I was just thinking that it's been awhile since I installed the front motor so I probably should recheck connections between the controller, motor and battery but this weekend I was either too lazy, too cold, or doing my favorite thing, procrastinating.
Come today and it's sunny and mild and whales might be aboot (or aglove) so I grabbed the new camera, the tripod, my coat (because fog is always possible) and set off to a high point by the ocean. Curiously enough, this 'high point' is named 'the point'.

As usual, fog rolled in as I neared my destination.

Doing a 180, I then donned the coat and started smelling smoke coming from wherever.
In an area prone to being covered by smoke from wildfires [cue music] music intensifies [/cue music]
Coasting down a long incline to the bridge over kwai I continue to smell smoke. Climbing out of the river valley the smoke stench is stronger but this seems common occurrence these days.

I pays it no mind.

But then... randoms jerks from the front motor and of course, this is also the time the rear motor decides to do it's thing of randomly failing.

Lucky for me the jerks stop and I make the trip home without another incident.

And as I pull up to the workshop I see smoke emanating from my steering tube, where I have the controller and it's connector mounted. :flame:
shoulda tightened screws.jpg
shoulda tightened screws.jpg (54.69 KiB) Viewed 151 times

Apparently the yellow phase wire loosened it's connection, causing said wire to overheat destroying the connection along with it's neighbors.
wturber wrote:
Nov 15 2018 12:47pm
Neodymium magnets and chain could be used to make adjustable eyebrow and mouth expressions.
Hey hey, you be talking to a superbly lazy person here.
Ain't gonna happen. :pancake:
+ the trike already gets more attention then it deserves

ddk   1 MW

1 MW

Post by ddk » Nov 23 2018 2:13pm

...of course I had to repair the damage the very next day, as I had to attend an appointment the day after. This included the first day of the rainy season where I got to experience the joys of riding through heavy rain and gusting winds (not that it's enjoyable, but doing so is always exciting, if one finds risk exciting) (I don't especially find risk exciting, but it does keep my interest somewhere in the 'high anxiety' ranges).
Had I left for the appointment 30 minutes later, I might have missed the strongest part of the storm. But I gets so antsy about things like 'flats' and other stuff [see: previous post about 'other stuff'] so I tend to start my trips that require my timely arrival about an hour before I expect to arrive had I not experienced any 'issues', so to speak.
I had no issues, so to speak and arrived at my destination with that hour to spare.

Fixing the burned connections and wiring involved snapping off the undamaged (and unused; see previous photo) connectors, cutting and trimming back the wires to undamaged areas and reconnecting using the previously unused 16 ga euro blocks.
It's always good to have extras of everything, especially if you're out and aboot (or aglove) on your homemade contraption and 'issues' arrive before you do.

BTW, one of the many reasons I will not use a 40A controller with this motor is that its' phase wires are only 16 gauge. I'm already pushing the wiring to its' limits using a 26A controller.

no photos again

ddk   1 MW

1 MW

Post by ddk » Dec 11 2018 5:27am

break out the party favors, balloons and ice cream.
My solar panels have finally paid for themselves! :bigthumb:
They've just provided me with about 300kW of power for chargers and whatnot, whilst idle generation of an additional 2MW kept the solar systems' AGM batteries warm (I guess)

I still haven't replaced the batteries in my 7S packs, marking the eldest at 6 years of age.
Although they were showing some signs of needing replacement, in reality the way I utilize the rear motor of the googly-eyed trike makes voltage sag an indifferent consequence to the overall operations.
IOW meh...

Speaking of trikes there's not much to speak of.
I'll be exchanging the rear disk brakes for BB7 types in the near future (waiting for parts)
but other than that I only had that one issue with the loose connector this year :flame:
*knocks on wood* I didn't even have a flat tire this year (breaks open the fake Champagne to celebrate) (diet soda)

The googly-eyed modification has increased the trikes speed and beauty (reality check=nope) (however, googly eyes makes everything better)
a flock of ships.jpg
a flock of ships.jpg (59.27 KiB) Viewed 29 times
400 meters birdy.jpg
400 meters birdy.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 29 times
is this my best side.jpg
is this my best side.jpg (23.54 KiB) Viewed 29 times
or is this.jpg
or is this.jpg (22.53 KiB) Viewed 29 times
down in front.jpg
down in front.jpg (24.32 KiB) Viewed 29 times
moon stroke.jpg
processed photo
moon stroke.jpg (48.22 KiB) Viewed 29 times

docnjoj   100 GW

100 GW

Post by docnjoj » Dec 11 2018 9:33am

Love those images!
otherDoc
E-bike stable at our house

Steintrike Mad Max full suspension trike rear Cute 100H going on: Whoops, Cute wheel broke but I fixed it.
Sun USX delta trike EbikeKit small geared front wheel sort of front suspension for wife

Agniusm/A123 AMP 20 36 volts on the Steini has been taken off.
2x16000 Multisport from HK now gone as they died after 2 years
New Luna 10S bottle battery 13.6AH now on mine
Relatively New 10S4Px2 for wife's bike giving 20ah @ 40 volts home made Panasonic from Tumich. BMS's rule.