Shwalbe Super Moto Bicycle Tires

grindz145

1 MW
I've heard of these before, but I'm getting a little bit tired of my hookworms (though I love them) They're a little bit too soft, and they tend to get eaten up by road-junk. I have 3000 miles on them or so, and while the front holds up just fine, the rear is getting punished. I wonder if I will be better off with one of these:

I'm curious to get anyone's opinion on the Maxxis hookworm 26x25 VS the Shwalbe Super Moto 2.25

They only show up to about 55 lbs of air which is a bit lower than the hookworms.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/super_moto_430
x_img_super_moto430.gif

Also the venerable Shwalbe big-apples also might still be a good fit for my 120 lb monster of a bicycle:
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/big_apple
x_img_big_apple430.gif

Any other suggestions would be great. I have to imagine that these 3 tires are probably some the best bicycle tires for ebike applications.

I asked a similar question a little while back here.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37963

I'm still not sure what I'll get next for the road as I have 2 sets of Crazy Bobs to wear through first, but I'm leaning more towards either;

this;

DMR Transition Dual Ply Tyre
11540.jpg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11540

or this;

Kenda Kniption also Dual Ply.
kiniption-k1016_zm.jpg

Cheers

The SuperMoto doesn't have a puncture protection belt, which I'd say is very good to have on an ebike. Otherwise it's the same as the BA.

Stealing my thunder grindz145,

I've ordered both the Big Apples and the Super Moto tires in 24" (and kiniptions from another company). I ran 26"X2.0 Big Apples 1 year and loved 'em. Didn't own but rode other bikes with the Hookworms. The BA aren't as soft and sticky yet they're not hard and slick either. Both are puncture resistant, the BA builds a kevlar like strip into their tire whereas the Hookworms are thicker/heavier. I ran 85psi in my BAs. They're reputed to ride well soft or hard.

Hookworms look good with their yellow letters and interesting tread pattern, the BA has a reflective sidewall that'll shine for years.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/files/files/l_img_big_apple430_0.gif
http://www.schwalbetires.com/moped_tires (the BA and Super Moto tread aren't pictured the same)

Don't so much as know if the super-moto tires will fit the 24" bicycle wheel. Plan to post that in another thread started today, "2 Stroke E-chaser" later.

veloman said:
The SuperMoto doesn't have a puncture protection belt, which I'd say is very good to have on an ebike. Otherwise it's the same as the BA.

What are the tire's, that are also good for Ebikes, that do have a puncture protection belt?

I would have thought Dual ply was good enough for most?

Cheers

Pirelli moped tires I don't think have a puncture resistant belt but don't have flat issues when run on bicycles either. Puncture resistant can come from really tough material or not as tough material that's really thick.

As you shop for tires; 2 ply is good, new fangled puncture resistant is good, and heavy/thick rubber is good when your goal is flat free rides. Thick moped or motorcycle tubes can help also.

But if high speeds under racing conditions is your goal, consider HS or E-bike ratings for 30+mph, moped for 50+mph, and J motorcycle rating for faster than a bicycle need go.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Personally 2.35 is the thinnest tire I would want to run on my bike. I think the fat big apple is the way to go proabably.

I dont understand why the Super Motos are more expensive, but they don't have puncture resistant belt?

Keep us posted SoSauty, I'll want to hear your results.

I love my hookworms, but they're just too soft, from what you've described the Big Apple's may work well, I just wish they were 2.5s

2.35" BA are actually slightly wider than 2.5" HW, and much better in the wet. Maxxis often over spec their tyre width. Personally I had great success with BA - 23,000km with only 4 punctures.

Supermoto are very light but have no protection whatsoever

Schwalbe also make CrazyBob - an ebike specific tyre

full-throttle said:
2.35" BA are actually slightly wider than 2.5" HW, and much better in the wet. Maxxis often over spec their tyre width. Personally I had great success with BA - 23,000km with only 4 punctures.

Supermoto are very light but have no protection whatsoever

Schwalbe also make CrazyBob - an ebike specific tyre

Thanks man! Now I have no hesitation!

I run the Schwalbe Crazy Bob tires. I used to run BAs but the Bob has a slightly higher sidewall rating and is certified for Etrike use. Both are a fine tire and on the trike average about 5,000 miles.

The Hookworms have a much better grip than Big apples when hard cornering. i stick with them for performance, but the BA are reputed to last a long time. I don't know about the performance of the Super Moto, but they don't make it wide enough for me anyway.

I love the stickiness of the Hookworm, but I've never really needed it that much. Particularly on my rear wheel, I'm running up against the durability under, what is essentially excessive load. My ebike weighs 120 lbs or so, and much of the load is on the rear wheel. The HWs are holding up fantastically on the front, they're just getting punished on the rear.

Big Apples are thin compared to Hookworms. Look at the weight of the tires before purchase. You can improve the puncture resistance by adding a tire liner and Slime to the tube. :wink:

My personal choice for a tire one-level lower than a Hookworm would have to be the Specialized Armadillo – although I see now that there are many sub-models from which to choose.

Safe travels, KF

With the miles you put on KF, I can't ignore that suggestion.

I'm not sure I need there to be tons of rubber with the kevlar strip and a firmer compound though. That's the experiment anyway.

grindz145 >> :)

I’ll tell you a cheap way to eval ties is to go to a bike fair – where the tire manufacturers have their wares out: Touch and feel each tire, talk to the reps, explain what you want to do. I’ve got a basket full of unused tires cos when they arrive – I go through the eval and disappointment.

HD MtB Wheels, Tires and Rims - and the wide open desert

SeaBikeExpo10B.jpg

2010 Seattle Bicycle Expo : "Schwalbe was the only-tire manufacturer there and they had in-State distributors there in a tour de force booth on the ground floor."

TYRES !!! ~ Which do you use ?

Tires&Rims0.jpg

Pictured is the Maxxis Hookworm Dual-Ply 26x2.5 & Schawlbe Fat Frank 26x2.35: Differences were apparent before I touched them!

SeaFair2010-Armadillo.jpg

2010 - P0 Ebike: Specialized Armadillo 26x2.3 w/ Specialized Desert inner tube

Rims and Tires Reference: A tiny lil' reference I put together :)

Tired, KF :wink:

Today's packages, 24" tires, except (XXXXX) Moto HS231 23" (click on pic, 23" readable on tire wall):

Big Apples @2.15w 660grams, comparably thin, especially on the side walls, feel soft with almost slick tread
(HighSpeed E-bike rated 50kph/31mph)

Kiniptions @2.3w 745grams, 2ply thicker than BAs, no wire bead on these, soft feel with universal tread
(racers have run these at 40+mph) (note tread extends to side wall)

(XXXXX) Moto HS231 @2.25 X 23" 1350 grams, 2ply considerably thicker, too small for 24" bike wheel, soft feel with small knobby tread
(30?mph rated)
**Edit: Thanks Full Throttle; I incorrectly IDed the Moped HS231 as 'Super Moto'
Guess I was trying for a 24" Super Moto which doesn't exist :|
Thinking of running BAs with thick thorn resistant tubes and slime.
View attachment 1

grindz145 said:
I'm not sure I need there to be tons of rubber with the kevlar strip and a firmer compound though.
More rubber generally means it will last longer, as it shoudl take longer to wear down.

Kingfish said:
My personal choice for a tire one-level lower than a Hookworm would have to be the Specialized Armadillo – although I see now that there are many sub-models from which to choose.

I now have a pair of these:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/city-urban/pavedusetires/infinityarmadillo
thanks to Ohzee; one is on the rear of the Fusin Test bike adn the other on the rear of CrazyBike2 (both tires will eventually end up on CB2). I don't have many miles on them yet, but so far they are doing well, in my city traffic use.

In my experience with motorcycle tires, sheer rubber doesn't really depend on wear-life. The hardness of the compound itself is the biggest factor. I don't know if that translates here or not.

Softer compounds generally are better at being grippy in wet and icy weather. Harder wear longer. Some compounds are alloys that have good wear qualities and are grippy. Maxxis, Schwalbe, Continental… they all make quality product. There’s a substance called “Black Chili” which is a synthetic compound that when blended with natural rubber creates a stronger tougher material that is still nimble and grippy. I would lurk for tires having these types of advancements – as well as good high thread-counts and modern material carcasses as being the best bets for wherever your travels take you.

If I had to do it over again – I’d find a way to mount a DOT-rated moped tires on my ebike; toughest tire made for cross-country road. The Europeans have the best selection in my book; a plethora of models are unavailable in North America. But I am drifting OT…

Apologies, KF

I am 100% with you KF, if I could run moped tires I would, and on future high-performance builds, I'll be using standard 16" or 17" hoops for this reason.

grindz145 said:
I am 100% with you KF, if I could run moped tires I would, and on future high-performance builds, I'll be using standard 16" or 17" hoops for this reason.
This is where we segue to JRH for ideas :wink:

If wishes were horses that beggars could ride...
~KF

Back