Questions for 2nd e-bike build

Will

100 mW
Traveling and shipping my e-bike has been an expensive hassle. The airlines won't touch a li-ion battery of any size, the buses don't want to ship bikes with your bus, ect. . So, I'm leaving 1 bike across the country and starting on a 2nd. I want this bike to be useable for my dainty wife as well, so I bought a 26" Schwinn Ranger and ordered a 36v li-ion battery last nite. Power efficiency with pedal assist is my primary aim. In fact, my only problem presently (see below set up) is running 17mph and getting the ?controller? heated up, then getting the motor under a load so it dies until the battery is charged up again. I think the BMS or controller doesn't like the partial throttle.

1) Must a C-lyte brushless motor use hall sensors? I would rather pedal 5mph+ before using the throttle. Seems a simple 36v 25a $70 controller would be smaller, lighter, and maybe more efficient. Is this controller a good match?

2) My C-lyte 408 has a sweet spot at 18-19 mph. Would a 406 or a simple DC C-lyte, if still sold, have the power/thrust to run 17mph with 36v? I weight 180 lbs? Or is the work horse reliable 408 I run now a sure bet with 36v also?

I got lucky with my 1st set up, for my purpose, it's excellent. Hope someone can steer me to an excellent 2nd e-bike. thanks

1: Yes. Brushed DC uses simple controllers. The one you have does not.

2: a 406 will run faster, but at less torque. My 405 runs at about 22 MPH at 38V ... I'm rather heavy. If I hit a hill, it slows immediately, and the amp use goes up fast. Your 408 does much better on hills. Any hills. So consider your terrain.

One thing you might want to consider ... Amtrack is way less freaky about bikes. They have a fairly low set price for carrying a bike ... and you can even ship a bike using Amtrak. If you don't mention the battery, they won't bring it up, and probably won't care.

Thanks kbarrett,
More questions :?: :?:
1) Will the regular cruise control so often seen, work without a throttle installed?

2) Will the 35v 25amp Sparrow :arrow: (C-lyte409) controller work with the DC Crystal motor; both are brushed? (edited after post responded to)

1: I haven't a clue. I am expecting one in the mail soon ... I'll try disconnecting my throttle input and let you know.

2: One brushed controller should work with another brushed motor, as long as you don't mess with operating Amps and Voltage much. Be aware that putting a much larger motor on the controller may cause loads that will harm it. But if you are just using a same sized hub with a different winding, you should be fine.

BTW, what is a "sparrow"? A vendor name I assume? For c'lytes, please use the motor numbers ... every vendor seems to have a pet name for the same hubs.

In my opinion 25A is kinda small for a controller that is hauling adults around at 36V or more. When you run at higher voltages, it doesn't take much of a hill to push required Amps to the point of burning your FETs.

I'll stay tuned, info about those little square red/blue/green/black cruise controls would be great! I hooked up a DIY cruise control for my thumb throttle and it works fine. I can screw it up or back a little so that it runs around 75% throttle, kinda a sweet spot for my C408, yet adjusts for battery sag or headwind.

Rarely do I vary the throttle otherwise, I just peddle up till a shift into cruising gear is suitable, then slide the cruise in place. My 2nd bike has grip/twist shifters and don't see how the $1 DIY cruise control could work on it. Yet, I don't really see a need for a throttle, maybe something closer to an on/off switch. If I'm 20+mph, I can't pedal assist so no exercise and a big power drain :twisted: If I'm slower than 15mph, why carry the weight of a motor/battery :evil: most of us can pedal that fast :wink:

I'm leaning toward taking a risk on the brushed :shock: DC motor, understand it freewheels pretty good yet should deliver 16-18mph without pedaling @ 36v.

BTW edited my previous to state "Sparrow C409" hope you don't feel as though I messed with your message, I really appreciate this forum and your helping out :D

Will said:
BTW edited my previous to state "Sparrow C409" hope you don't feel as though I messed with your message, I really appreciate this forum and your helping out :D

No big deal. Just say C'lyte 409, and then we are all speaking the same language.

OK ... tried a c'lyte cruise control. Neat gadget. kinda cheaply built.

Button only activates if there is at least a small amount of throttle input.

No throttle = button won't light up.

Once it is on, the controller ignores the throttle input, and only uses the cruise control input. It goes off if you hit the e-brake, or hit the activate button again.

So , for this cruise control, you have to have some kind of throttle ( even a thumb switch will work ), and you probably want e-brakes.

Posting this in review as well.

The Sparrow is a brushed clyte see...

http://www.electricrider.com/crystalyte/sparrow.htm

Yep,you'll get your 16 to 18mph running at 36 volts.
I'm using a brushed clyte in a 20 inch wheel with a 36v25amp controller and am able to ride at 34kmh (21mph) on the flats with no pedaling.
If your using a larger wheel you'll go quicker but have less hill pulling power.

The brushed clyte has a similar speed per volt as the brushless clyte 405 as stated at ebikes.ca...

http://www.ebikes.ca/store/#Motors

Sure you could use just an on and off switch for the motor but you'll drain your batteries much quicker.

Eric

Back