Locking Ebike Outside - Public Place

broloch

1 kW
How many of you lock your ebike outdoors in a public area? How do you do it? What remains on your bike? How is it fastened?
Do you lock down your controller/take it with?
Any idea on how to lock a controller inside a waterproof Pelican case, lock that to your bike and be able to run wires in and out of it?

Other variations/combinations?

Here's what I did with my controller. Ignore the battery placement, it was a failed experiment. :mrgreen:

IMG_0012.jpg

In case it's not clear, it's inside a plastic bag with self-adhesive rubber tape at the seams and where I felt like applying it willy-nilly, and is bolted across the rack bars to two metal bars. The bolt heads are covered up by the waterproofing materials.

If a motivated thief with tools wanted it, they could take it, but then again there are many things that could be unbolted... The battery itself comes with me, as it lives inside this Ortlieb pannier bag:

IMG_0020.jpg

My trusty lock combo that's served me well in Boston and Seattle is a Kryptonite cable looped on itself through the rim and frame on one end, connected to a Kryptonite post-Bic-recall Evolution 2000 U-lock securing the other wheel and frame tube to whatever structure to which the bike is being locked.

The only thing electric that stays on my bike is the motor, throttle, and wiring. Everything else Is in a backpack, as observed in this rat's nest of a battery pack here:

DSCN0051.jpg

:mrgreen:

I lock it all over except in ghetto areas and the mall. I use a u-lock made out of cable rather then solid steel. Flexible, lighter, and more options. And I also use a 6-7 foot flexable extension cable also. The kind that doesn't curl up like a slinky. That way I can lash up to pillars and whatever I can find using both cable and lock. I can also lock my helmet through one of the cable loops so I don't have to carry that around. Avoid the slinky type cables. Those can really piss you off.

I bolt my controller on top of my cage and then have another cage bolted on top of that. My battery goes with me. My non-motor wheel doesn't have a quick release, it has a triangular type bolt, you need a special key to remove it. Seat requires an allen key to take off. I use a u-lock for the frame to something solid. So far no problems.

I have a rear motor, but for the front motors, how big is the axle? 10mm? Both the round and flat parts?

broloch said:
I have a rear motor, but for the front motors, how big is the axle? 10mm? Both the round and flat parts?
If it was 10mm all around there would be no flat part. 12mm round, 10mm flats iirc.

Back